Coolant state-of-the-art?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Coolant state-of-the-art?

Postby tigerdog » Wed 09.11.2011, 00:21

There's been tons of discussion on the board about various lubricants and advances since the original specs were written. What about coolant? Used to be there was just one kind: green, based on ethylene glycol. Today there are tons of different formulae: BMW wants something blue, audi wants something pink. old-school green is now used for both ethylene glycol and low-toxicity-but-lower-heat-transferring propylene glycol. There also seems to be far less info on the web on this subject. Do we have any chemical engineers on staff who can shed light on the subject?
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Re: Coolant state-of-the-art?

Postby F1 LOTUS » Wed 09.11.2011, 07:07

https://www.conklin.com/cart/itemDetail.cfm?pline=09&cline=04&parentSKU=002345&CFID=5943409&CFTOKEN=76417787&jsessionid=f030ac2463e5504a550e7554e1d6866a2a7a
Mandated by Indy Racing League since 1999
Safe protects gasoline and diesel cooling systems from rust and corrosion. Prevents causes of engine overheating, including lime and scale buildup and coolant foaming. Compatible with all vehicle cooling systems and coolants, both green and orange. Add to your radiator every six months.
F1 LOTUS
God

Postby tigerdog » Wed 09.11.2011, 14:48

Hey, Brian! Good to know you still troll the forum every now and then. Thanks for this - I'll follow up. May have to go old school green Ethylene Glycol this week, just to get the job done by the weekend.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby Oliver » Sat 09.06.2012, 10:48

4life - (red in colour). Use neat. Effective / safe for ten years.
M100 N/A - No PAS
RenautSport Megane 275 Cup
MGF
Benelli 2C
Oliver
Fanatic

Postby rip » Sat 09.06.2012, 17:48

I started a thread about this some time back but I guess it will be a bugger to find now. It took me a while to find the info on the net & I've learned a little more since.

Ethene Glycol (to use its correct modern name) is the standard coolant with a 2-year shelf life. This is pretty universal but the corrosion inhibitants lose their effectiveness after around 3 years.

The pink stuff is Organic Acid Technology (OAT). This is a bit of a minefield. The good news is that you can leave it for 5 years. The bad news is that it offers no corrosion protection for copper or brass. Copper radiators used to be common but many sensors are still brass. When I dropped this from my previous daily last year, I found that the brass sensors had a thin film of corrosion.

It gets trickier:
Many manufacturers produce/endorse a specific compound of OAT which will work cleanly with their OEM sensors.

Given the above, my own preference is to use standard Ethene Glycol coolant & replace it every 2 years.

I have not heard of the stuff which Oliver recommends so cannot comment on it.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby wayne » Wed 13.06.2012, 20:21

Just wondering if anyone has heard of or tried this: Anti HEAT

I was given a bottle of it today to try by one of the mechanics that works down at the race track here.

He reconed that they added it to a couple of cars a few weeks ago and it seemed to help keep them cool ???

Bring organic does it just look like the long life coolant addative?

Would it be likely to do any harm if I try it out?
1992 Pacific Blue, Top end performance Kit. K&N airfilter& HKS BOV. Everest. HiSpec fronts, SS hoses. 2010 Canyon red Evora.
http://www.elanm100.com
wayne
Fanatic

Postby tigerdog » Thu 14.06.2012, 17:27

wayne wrote:Just wondering if anyone has heard of or tried this: Anti HEAT

Seems similar in theory to Red Line Water Wetter. Both claim to increase thermal transference and reduce hot spots and temperature and probably feed the cat, too, if you read fine print. I really wish I had some chemical engineering background to make a reasoned analysis of this topic. As best as I can tell, products like these work by reducing surface tension in the coolant, inhibiting the formation of bubbles and allowing the coolant to better penetrate and attach to the heat-transference surfaces of the block/water jacket and radiator innards. What I cannot begin to theorize is whether they really make a difference or whether they are safe for the makeup of our cooling systems.

Any C.E.s here?
tigerdog
God

Postby steve matthews » Thu 14.06.2012, 20:27

Track days NO ANTIFREEZE ALLOWED.

Distilled water and water wetter. Water wetter is also a lub and rust agent.

Temp. definitely stays lower now compared to when I used antifreeze.

Steve -w- 1 cool engine :lol:
steve matthews
God

Postby tigerdog » Fri 15.06.2012, 01:52

for track days, yes. But what about mere mortals whose cars live through winter. Yes, even in San Diego it drops below freezing one or two mornings per year.
tigerdog
God

Postby steve matthews » Fri 15.06.2012, 03:46

Globe bull Warming. :poke:
steve matthews
God

Postby rip » Fri 15.06.2012, 09:45

steve matthews wrote:Temp. definitely stays lower now compared to when I used antifreeze.

Anti Freeze has a low specific heat capacity. In english this means that it is a poor coolant compared to plain water.
Those of us who live in climates which dip below zero are stuck with it.
1990 SE
rip
God

Return to Vital Fluids