water levels

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

water levels

Postby tobyholland » Fri 22.11.2013, 17:39

Hi daft as it may sound ,do I fill my reservoir to the top and bleed through headlamp provision.
Reason I am asking is for expansion , and I take it the round vessel under the wheelarch is the expansion tank
I have trawled through manual and the handbook with no avail.
Thank you
toby
a lotus is for life ,not just Christmas
tobyholland
Enthusiast

Re: water levels

Postby epipete » Fri 22.11.2013, 18:14

There is a level indicated on the side of the filler (header) tank, it ain't clear but it is there.

The item you refer to in the wheel arch is the vacuum canister which is completely separate from the coolant system.
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.11.2013, 18:42

tobyholland wrote: I take it the round vessel under the wheelarch is the expansion tank

?? :shock: :shock:

If you stand facing the engine the coolant expansion tank is at the highest point on the RHS of the engine bay
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Rambo » Fri 22.11.2013, 18:44

Sorry, for some reason I hadn't seen the reply by Pete when I posted :oops:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby tobyholland » Fri 22.11.2013, 19:07

Great that helps Thanks All
Toby
a lotus is for life ,not just Christmas
tobyholland
Enthusiast

Postby epipete » Sat 01.02.2014, 21:20

Toby,

Searching through posts I came across this and, with greater experience, I now see that I misadvised you earlier! :banghead:

Whilst the thingy in the wheel arch is the vacuum canister and the coolant expansion tank is as Rambo describes above, there is provision to bleed the coolant from the top of the radiator (at least assuming you have OEM) and this can be accessed via the N/S lamp pod. If you turn the black knob on the lamp motor it will raise the pod and allow sight and room (using a coin) to turn a bleed 'valve'. After bleeding turn the valve back and a flick of the flash in the cabin will return the pods to there original position.

Pete
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Return to Vital Fluids