cooling system minor leaks

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

cooling system minor leaks

Postby jello » Sat 29.11.2014, 06:44

I have a minor coolant leak. In the past I had solidified coolant below my thermostat housing, sitting on the transmission bell housing. I replaced the thermostat and gasket, & used generous amounts of water pump gasket sealant. This did not stop the minor leak. Also, I have checked - no header tank leaks (I know these are common). It is appearng to me that a house connected to the thermostat housing may be the leak location. The hose has the original spring clamp on it. I'm considering replacing the spring clamp with a standard band clamp. Anyone have a good reason not to do this, or experience doing it that they can share?
jello
Tinkerer

Re: cooling system minor leaks

Postby jello » Sat 29.11.2014, 19:47

Replying to my own post. I found the leak. It is a pinhole sized leak on the bottom of the header tank. Soon to be corrected with Jr Water-Weld. I had avoided spending money on a replacement tank, as I know replacement OEM tanks are not available. I'll bite the bullet and get a metal replacement tank. $400 will go for that, but the problem will get corrected pretty much for good.
jello
Tinkerer

Return to Vital Fluids