Oil Filter Access - How do the DIYers do it?

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: Oil Filter Access - How do the DIYers do it?

Postby epipete » Tue 05.04.2016, 07:04

John_W wrote:I must say that, despite various comments over the last 15 years about oil filter access, I always jack up the RHS, remove the wheel, turn the steering to full RH lock, and just reach in and unscrew the filter. The new one goes on ditto. I have never experienced a problem. No tools necessary - just use my hand.
John

I've not done this job yet, having been put off by all the reported difficulty, and so have always put it into the garage/mechanic yo carry out.

Can it really be this simple, after all?
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby HJ2 » Tue 05.04.2016, 07:13

On an LHD: it is (RHD .... Just dunno)
Don't forget an additional jackstand.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby John_W » Tue 05.04.2016, 12:38

epipete wrote:Can it really be this simple, after all?

Maybe I'm just lucky with the clearances on my (RHD) Elan. I don't have rubber arms (or particularly thin ones - I'm always wearing my "garage" anorak) nor am I blessed with a vice-like grip, but I wear rubber gloves which helps a bit. I must have done this about 15 times. I have to lie on my back and reach in with my left hand.

As HJ says, I always use an axle stand.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 05.04.2016, 15:55

Just removed mine. Dead easy.
The car is on a small lift as I'm changing the alternator and manual says "Remove oil filter for improved access". As oil and filter haven't been changed since Kelvedon Motors did it when I first bought the car I thought it overdue by date, if not by mileage, so I'm doing filter & oil change at the same time. Got all my special oil filter removing tools out ready but thought I'd reach in from the NSF wheel arch along the driveshaft with my right arm. Still quite clean so easy to grip and came unscrewed quite easily. Only problem is oil down the arm, but 'Well done Kelvedon Motors'.. :clap: I can put those tools away and clean up the oil. Bet the alternator won't come off that easy!
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby HJ2 » Tue 05.04.2016, 19:11

lotusflasherman wrote:Bet the alternator won't come off that easy!

The first time some swearing will be included :bananasex:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 05.04.2016, 23:46

HJ2 wrote:The first time some swearing will be included :bananasex:

New alternator is in place without too much trouble. I'll finish connections and adjustment tomorrow. Plenty of swearing at the previous owner who sprayed Wayoyl over EVERYTHING.
Chassis and suspension OK but wheel arch liners, driveshafts and boots and alternator!! What's that about? My arms got covered in dirty Waxoyl and I had some Industrial Wipes with a solvent that removed it but I've used the last one.
Tried Swarfega, petrol, Meths, White Spirit, Gunk, Comma Hyperclean,... :banghead: :banghead: Does anybody know the solvent for Waxoyl??? Looks like I'm going to bed tonight with dirty arms..
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Simon_P » Wed 06.04.2016, 08:38

The solvent for Waxoyl is white spirit

Rather than Waxoyl it is probably Dinitrol applied as part or the anti-corrosion warranty. Should be re-applied every 2 years. You should be thankful!

I don't know the solvent for Dinitrol but touch painted walls, bed linen etc and that will get it off - Lighter is better it doesn't seem to come off as well with darker colours.
Simon_P
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 06.04.2016, 11:15

Simon_P wrote:I don't know the solvent for Dinitrol but touch painted walls, bed linen etc and that will get it off - Lighter is better it doesn't seem to come off as well with darker colours.

There speaks the voice of experience. :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 06.04.2016, 11:41

Had a shower before bed and noticed some came off on the white towel. That's now in the garage, hidden from my wife... :oops:
Before fitting a new filter I like to fill it with oil and let it soak,inverting it to get free oil out just before fitting. Got a new K&N filter on the bench and I'm sure it's a Tardis. Can't understand how I've filled it so many times and the level keeps dropping :?
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Previous

Return to Vital Fluids