Oil leak

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Oil leak

Postby B_land » Sat 06.08.2016, 15:22

Hello all, hope someone can help....
I drove back from silverstone Classic last Sunday left the car on the drive to unload after putting car into garage there was an oil patch on the drive. I've looked at usual areas sump and oil cooler pipes are ok. Oil is running down the rear right hand side (slightly lower and right of oil filter) and onto lower pipes, it's difficult to see without jacking the car where the oil is coming from but I was wondering if there are any usual suspects in this area which may cause the leak.

Thanks for any help

Bruce
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Re: Oil leak

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 06.08.2016, 16:07

If it isn't leaking at the Oil Filter or Oil Pressure sender, then look at the oil cooler hoses.

As they get older. they shrink a bit and the crimps that hold the hoses to the fittings become less effective and they will weep, leak and eventually disassemble themselves when the crimp becomes too weak to hold the hose in place. That is not a good ending as the engine will pump out all of the oil before you can shut it down.

Usually, the hoses leak/disassemble at the the oil cooler end, but both ends are the same design, so it is a strong possibility.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby B_land » Sat 06.08.2016, 17:08

Thanks Brit Car Nut
I think looking at the location it is most likely then to be the oil pressure sender part A100N0002F, selling for £64 + vat at SJsportscars. I cannot see any alternatives on WIki and wondered if there is an equivalent (cheaper) part supply?

Thanks

Bruce
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 06.08.2016, 19:25

The oil cooler hoses connect right there too and are more likely to be bad than the sender.

The hoses can be re-crimped for not too much dosh...

I wouldn't buy anything until you know what is leaking.

The current LOTUS suggested price for the A100N0002F is £87.90 + VAT

SW Lotus doesn't list it but you could try Paul Matty. There is always Douglas Valley Breakers (SteveStrange007 on eBay)
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Sat 06.08.2016, 20:52

My money is on oil cooler hoses too :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Saltire » Sat 06.08.2016, 22:24

Rambo wrote:My money is on oil cooler hoses too :?

Having just experienced something very similar, so is mine.

My problem turned out to be a hole in the oil cooler matrix itself, but when we got it all apart, the hoses were in a bad state and certainly not fit to put back. I had them both remade by my local flexi pipe wizard. He charged me £49 all in, whereas a new set from SJ is £182. Good luck with getting them off, though; mine required copious amounts of heat and a good deal of swearing :lol:

All back together now and working fine. The CoolExperts replacement matrix is a great piece of kit.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby B_land » Sun 07.08.2016, 16:22

Thanks to Brit Car Nut, Rambo and Satire for your suggestions, I've relooked today and I have a split in the offside inner cv gaiter which must have been carrying oil and has exploded in the general area. I'm not that handy with a spanner so will get a garage to fit new gaiters on both inner and outer sides (may also get the near side done as well before that let's go)
Hope I've not done too many miles without oil and caused adverse wear.

You guys have also highlighted a potential age related weak point with the oil cooler hoses which for peace of mind I will get replaced too. I'm thinking of purchasing the 2 on flea bay as a pattern so they are ready to fit or does any body have the cooler pipes I can borrow?

Thanks

Bruce
EG S2
B_land
Enthusiast

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 07.08.2016, 17:33

Glad you found the source of the oil drips.

For the oil cooler hoses, you will need the a set of hoses so they can re-use the metal fittings and just replace the fabric hose portions. The fittings are not available, even in a generic form (that I have found).
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Saltire » Sun 07.08.2016, 20:05

John's right; I too had to reuse the old pipe end fittings. New ones are no longer available. But it's the hoses themselves which fail.

While you're under there, may I suggest a bit of scope creep? Check out the horn bracket, just behind the radiator. Mine was quite badly corroded and the horns about to drop off. We managed to salvage it with a bead blast and repaint, but they are available if yours is too far gone. Worth a bit of preventive maintenance now to save an MoT failure later :oops:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Return to Vital Fluids