another 'Anyone know this car' J3 NEB (DEAD LINK)

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

another 'Anyone know this car' J3 NEB (DEAD LINK)

Postby fillpoke » Fri 07.04.2017, 22:19

I've been looking for another M100 for quite sometime now - ever since I sold my last one infact and almost immediately realised that I'd made a mistake. Anyway this one is advertised on Ebay and may fit the bill. Does anyone know of it and it's condition? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-M1 ... SwU8hY5OGa Thanks, Dave
fillpoke
Tinkerer

Re: another 'Anyone know this car' request

Postby Giniw » Sat 08.04.2017, 00:00

Hello,
I don't know it, but the front bumper is suspiciously not aligned. And the front indicators are weird.
And of course the bumper grids are not OEM.
Giniw
God

Postby simonbuk » Sat 08.04.2017, 06:07

Last few mots show a clean bill of health - apparently its 'near' mint , a bold statement for a 25+ year old car !
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Rambo » Sat 08.04.2017, 09:16

I recognise the number plate.

This car is being sold by someone on behalf of a friend who is allegedly not computer savvy :shock: I'm sure I read somewhere they weren't sure of price but put up a hopeful £6600 with a "that's what it owes them" sort of phrase. One of the adverts I saw implied it sailed through its recent MOT (it actually failed 1st time around on an inoperative horn) It has, however, sailed through the last few couple of MOTs with no advisories or failures

I dont think the owner is an LEC'er so car is probably not known in LEC circles

PS Your eyesight is good Giniw. I suspect the front clamshell might have had minor damage or been put back and incorrectly aligned ???
Last edited by Rambo on Sat 08.04.2017, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Sat 08.04.2017, 09:21

I knew I'd seen it somewhere recently. The car was also on Gumtree but obviously didn't sell ??

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25355&start=40
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 08.04.2017, 12:12

Rambo wrote: PS Your eyesight is good Giniw. I suspect the front clamshell might have had minor damage or been put back and incorrectly aligned ???

Somebody was talking about fitting LED Daylight Running Lights in those 'small slots' .... you could get a fluorescent tube in that gap ! :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Giniw » Sat 08.04.2017, 15:38

:lol:
There is an adjustment screw near the front wells indeed but if I remember correctly there is no adjustment at the front of the car, isn't it? (only four big bolts, one under each light pod and one accessible by removing the big grommets under the front corners of the car. I really don't remember I had to adjust anything with those four bolts.)

As for the indicators, I suspect there is no "plastic cover" (indicator lens?) at all, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

Maybe there has been a front damage, which damaged the front bumper and the indicator lens. But that is just a guess.
Giniw
God

Postby Rambo » Sat 08.04.2017, 19:39

I too would suspect front end damage. The poor fitting bumper, the odd looking front indicator/sidelight covers and the really bad fitting non standard mesh grilles

The inside of the car looks nice and original though
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby fillpoke » Sun 09.04.2017, 20:16

Thanks everyone. In the light of what's been said I think I'll give this particular car a miss. The search goes on.......
fillpoke
Tinkerer

Postby simonbuk » Mon 10.04.2017, 06:40

How do we know that an enthusiastic owner hasn't taken off the clam to do some refurbishment like many on here ?

Got to be worth a look if its not too far away ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby Rambo » Mon 10.04.2017, 08:58

I would agree. It's always worth looking at a car in person rather than relying on potentially crap photos on EBay. Maybe this enthusiastic owner just hasn't tightened the bolts up :wink:

For Fillipoke to see the car it's a 2 hour trip via the A19 and A1(M) so worth a look and reporting back on here

However, unless he specifically wants a Collapso Red, there are much better cars with known provenance here.....

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25959

and here ........

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25637

PS I don't have any affiliation with the cars but know the owners well and would always recommend buying from an enthusiastic LEC owner rather than an unknown quantity on EBay, Scumtree, Auto trader, PissedonHeads or wherever :wink:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dann76 » Thu 13.04.2017, 15:44

I went to see this car last weekend and mint is not what I would describe it as, the paintwork is particularly shabby.
dann76

Return to SOLD Cars