I´m slightly becomming aggressive...

Electronic and hardcopy, manuals, articles, books etc.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

I´m slightly becomming aggressive...

Postby Motocompo » Mon 06.01.2020, 19:45

Dears,

a mate just sent me the Autobild Klassik which is one of Germany´s favourite Oldtimer/Youngtimer Magazines.

They tested the Elan S2 against it´s competitors as there are:

-BMW Z1
-Mazda MX5 (Miata)
-MG F
-Alfa Spider

So far so good. Last place for the Elan.

OK, Accepted.

But what actually drives me mad is that they claim the accelaration from 0-100 km/h is 9,4 sec.

I´m sorry this is ridiculous. In ALL magazines from the ninetees it is tested at about 7 sec.

I mean 160 HP and accelerating slower that the 115 HP Mazda or the 120 HP MGF
The Elan has also the strongest torque of all...
so even the so-called "Journalists" who have no idea about cars should realize that this simply can´t be. :lol:

OK, I know the Elan is the best car so I simply should ignore it... :D

Have a great day everyone.
Motocompo

Re: I´m slightly becomming aggressive...

Postby PJR-Elan » Mon 06.01.2020, 19:59

I’ve owned an MX5 mk1 (and a 2.5 come to think of it) and a MGF VVC. Never driven the BM. I loved the MX5s especially in the wet as you could slide them beautifully in corners.....but they were not fast. The MGF was faster but not particularly nice to drive and seldom won any group tests (unless pitted against another MGF). :lol:

If this test was entirely on hood waterproofing then it’s spot on. Otherwise, I think someone has just taken a dislike to the Elan for whatever reason. Perhaps it was a rainy day when they did the test? :lol:
PJR-Elan
Tinkerer

Postby sideways » Mon 06.01.2020, 22:41

Handbrake stuck? :D
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 06.01.2020, 23:50

sideways wrote:Handbrake stuck? :D

It's not that good!
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £60 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Bern » Thu 09.01.2020, 11:09

I've recently bought an MX5 MK 2.5 (my 3rd MX5!), it's quite different to the Elan (as PJR said it's a lot slower). But which is best? I really like the one that I happen to be driving at the time - I couldn't choose between them! The MX5 cost a 1/10th of what I paid for the Elan!

ElanMX5_2.jpg

I've driven an MG TF, and it was much better than I was expecting, but I couldn't get my clutch foot comfortable so I didn't buy it! I've not driven the BMW either (and am unlikely to at the current prices), and I've always liked the Alfa Spider but again not driven one.

When the Elan was launched Car magazine (Apr '90) pitted it against the MX5, Z1 and TVR S, the Elan won the test comfortably.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 Elan SE
'05 Mazda MX5
'16 Renault Zoe
'03 VW Transporter
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Thu 09.01.2020, 17:50

Interesting. I’ve driven an MGF (the TF’s predecessor) and I thought it was well balanced but a bit gutless. My neighbour has a 53 reg MX5, which seems to me to be a bit “plusher” than the Elan, although personally I don’t care about the plush factor! I think MX5s depend a bit on a)which version you have (development shows) and b) whether it’s a good ‘un. Always fancied a Z1, but they’re silly money now.

I used to have a Chimaera, and the Elan is much more civilised that that was (and just as quick point-to-point), and an RS60 Boxster, which was a lovely car and probably my favourite of all I’ve owned. If only it hadn’t had a Porsche badge on the bonnet :oops:

In the end, I sold it because “we” decided that “we” needed to clear the mortgage . . .
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Bern » Fri 10.01.2020, 11:42

Saltire wrote: My neighbour has a 53 reg MX5, which seems to me to be a bit “plusher” than the Elan, although personally I don’t care about the plush factor! I think MX5s depend a bit on a)which version you have (development shows) and b) whether it’s a good ‘un. .

Yes, I'd not really thought of it like that! The big difference inside is the lack of space, the MX5 is tiny (it's just a bit too small for me, and I'm only 6'). But you certainly feel like you are sitting in it. Mine is the 1.8 VVC, which I think is 145BHP and though it must be in there somewhere it's not usable like it is with the Elan. But it doesn't seem to matter. What is amazing is how well they rust!
'90 Elan SE
'05 Mazda MX5
'16 Renault Zoe
'03 VW Transporter
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Fri 10.01.2020, 16:28

I have already seen a few numbers that would tend to show the S2 is slower than the SE, but 2 seconds slower to 60 seems really too much though ...!
Giniw
God

Postby Saltire » Fri 10.01.2020, 20:58

Bern wrote: What is amazing is how well they rust!

Agreed. Jerry, my neighbour, has had his 53 reg from new, and looked after it (he’s a retired armoured fighting vehicle engineer), and he's still needed over £5k of bodywork in the last year :o Mostly rear wings and associated substructure, I gather.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Return to Literature