Set of S2 unfurnished/refurbished wheels.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Set of S2 unfurnished/refurbished wheels.

Postby simonbuk » Sat 12.08.2017, 06:57

Can you have unfurnished wheels ?

Anyway, I have a set of used S2 alloy wheels for sale. These came off Kermit.

I could sell these in two different states :-
A) as they are in average condition with used tyres on (barely legal tyres, marked as an advisory on MOT so consider as rubbish and old !!). Or
B) Fully refurbished in silver (or maybe a colour or finish of your choice (as long as it's not hugely expensive or you pay for it !))

I would say the wheels are in a good used condition, they have some scuff marks but nothing deep/bad, just consummate with age. To look great they would need a refurb, one has a small dent on the very outer lip of the wheel. Looking at a company near me the cost is looking at around £300-£350 to refurb and take one dent out.

The wheels will come with some Lotus center caps.

So I am thinking you buy the wheels as they are with used tyres on for £1250.
Refurbish them yourselves, these would then stand you in at about - £1550-£1600 for a brand new refurbished set. You may know somebody who might give you a better rate to refurb.

I get them refurbished in silver and then they are £1650 for a newly refurbished set.

A third option is to split them but I could potentially be left with one or two so price would have to be £500 each.

For a simple/easy/hassle free sale I would prefer the 1st option !!

They are located in Worthing, West Sussex and would need to be picked up from there. Unfortunately it is going to be very difficult for me to arrange any sort of courier as they are 60 miles away from my current location and don't get there regularly/easily.

Not in any particular rush to sell as just suffered a bereavement so obviously other things to deal with. If somebody wanted to buy and could leave a deposit they could be held for a while until we agree a mutual time for collection.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Re: Set of S2 unfurnished/refurbished wheels.

Postby simonbuk » Mon 14.08.2017, 21:36

Ok, no comments/offers/takers so I must have got this wrong.

How about one whole grand for them as they are ?

Answers on a postcard please.......
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, West Sussex sometimes The World !!

Postby clemo » Wed 16.08.2017, 19:16

I guess what you are up against is the S2 wheels on ebay at selling at the moment .
If i where wanting some then i might well wait till those have sold to gauge a price ..

possibly ?
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Postby simonbuk » Wed 16.08.2017, 19:31

Yes, saw those come up.

What happens if I bid on them and win ? I'll confuse myself :shock: !!

Or I'll confirm the current market rate of a set of S2 wheels to myself. So should I big them up ? :smt102 :smt101
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Wed 16.08.2017, 19:35

I'm actually thinking of refurbishing them but maybe in a smoke kind of colour. But would that restrict the amount of people who might want to buy them later ?
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Wed 16.08.2017, 20:34

Stick them on EBay whilst the current auction is on. You'll soon find out what they're worth.

It's all about Keynesian economics. Supply and demand etc... Supply is low and demand relatively high so therefore ££££

But the proof is in the pudding. People will only pay what they think something is actually worth to them

Good luck
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Rambo » Wed 16.08.2017, 20:49

Currently £930 and only 16 hours to go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-M1 ... 0009.m1982
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby theelanman » Thu 17.08.2017, 08:53

you cut an already quite small audience down by saying collection only.........
Ive posted wheels before and its only cost me about £30........

they should make £1200 generally.....
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby dapinky » Thu 17.08.2017, 09:29

When it comes to refurbishment, I use these guys - at £20 a wheel it's hard to beat.

I appreciate that it may not be very local, but the price is right - and as mentioned, a courier (Paisley Freight are who I use for wheels) isn't too dear.

I'd offer them as they are, with the information/link to the above company so that a new owner can have their own choice of colour.

That way, you aren't spending out on something which you won't get a return on, and giving the final choice to a buyer.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby simonbuk » Thu 17.08.2017, 09:58

Christ thats cheap !! Whats the finished result like ?
Simon - Black S2
- Black SE (aka Kermit)

Simonthesailor
simonbuk
Fanatic

Postby theelanman » Thu 17.08.2017, 10:14

dapinky wrote:as mentioned, a courier (Paisley Freight are who I use for wheels) isn't too dear.

I use these guys too.....
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby dapinky » Thu 17.08.2017, 10:32

simonbuk wrote:Christ thats cheap !! Whats the finished result like ?

My elan wheels were done black 4 years ago, and no-one has ever said that they look shite!

As with anything, if you spend a bit more time on prep, you get a better finish - also, gloss black will show far more faults than a metalic/silver/anthracite finish - which i why i would suggest letting the purchaser have the final say. You will usually get a 'better' finish with wet paint than with powder, but at far more work involved.

The guys in Birmingham will be doing my Range Rover wheels soon, they have done about 5 sets for me over the past few years and I've never had a problem (but maybe I'm not looking for problems when I'm paying £25 a corner!)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby Rambo » Thu 17.08.2017, 19:47

Rambo wrote:Currently £930 and only 16 hours to go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-M1 ... 0009.m1982

theelanman wrote:you cut an already quite small audience down by saying collection only.........
Ive posted wheels before and its only cost me about £30........

they should make £1200 generally.....

Sold for £999

So that's probably the going rate for yours Simon £1000-1200

And as Dapinky says, leave them as they are. Whilst they do look good in black or graphite (particularly on an NMY ;-) ) a purist will want the original finish if he's looking for 1 or 2 for his own car. and if he wants to colour them I guess all 4 will be done together to his/her choice

Good luck with the sale but, before you rush into things, remember you already have 4 S2 wheels so you might want to consider keeping 1 or 2 as spares just in case of disaster. Sod's law and all that :poke:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby clemo » Thu 17.08.2017, 21:10

you could alway paint some yellow spokes on them ..

i know someone who is paying a double paint job price to have them done ... and it aint at pinkys place either
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Location: TORQUAY .WESTSIDE well south west side in the southern bit.

Return to Elan Parts for Sale (Used Parts For Sale)