Front Spoiler Lip Retainer Clamp Plates Now $40.00 for all 3

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Re: Front Spoiler Lip Retainer Clamp Plates Now $40.00 for a

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Thu 15.08.2019, 23:23

Simon_P wrote:
Brit-Car-Nut wrote:I was going to have the same company make some stainless "door window scraper" backing plates to fit the generic strips available - as per Toby's You Tube video.
I don't think burning off the toxic rubber bits is a healthy suggestion
Long before Toby did that and in a long lost thread, the accepted method was to cut the top only off the original weatherstrip and stick it with rubber intact to the replacement weatherstrip. This had the advantage that the slightly too narrow new weatherstrip is put closer to the window and bonding rubber to rubber is usually a good bond. PNM pretty much copied the approach to make their replacements.

These are the strips to hold the front spoiler in place. NOT the window scrapers.

(New topic)
I am having some prototype window scraper backing plates in 18 gauge stainless made as well, but I am still not sure how to get the proper bend in the generic scrapers to match the curve(s) at the rear of the door/window slot. Getting the stainless cut to the correct profile is easy, bending the "backbone" of the generic strips is not as straight forward.

That is a couple weeks away and i have a pile of the generic scrapers and I will destroy at least one of them trying to use a sheet metal shrinker/stretcher set. Theoretically, it is possible, but it depends on how much the upper part of the generic spine is folded to give it more strength. The stock M100 scrapers have an .0125 inch "T" fold at the top which doesn't like to be stretched or shrunk.

I am also worried about using only a urethane adhesive (windscreen setting type) to attach the generic strips to the stainless, but have looked at the available space and a few small, flat head sheet metal screws should be enough to keep the generic strips connected to the new backing.

Anyway, the original posting is about the front spoiler retaining strips made out of 304 stainless.

Thanks,
JC
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 21.08.2019, 12:58

So, I have the clamp plates in my shop and I have started "cleaning" them up.
The edges were "sharp" and I am dulling them to minimize blood loss.

I have decided on a decent box that will make sure the plates will arrive intact and not damaged so I now need your ship to addresses.

I know some of you have purchased from me in the past and I have your addresses somewhere in my computer, but it would take me another week trying to find them, so just email (the preferred method) or PM me the address you want me to use.

The 3 strips are not "lite" and not small. They weigh 3 pounds. We will need a box that is 28" x 8" x 2" to 8" depending on what else you want included. The boxes will cost $5.00 each. Sorry, they won't fit in a tube and thin boxes won't stand up to the shipping.

US postage isn't absolutely horrible and will be between $15.00 to $30.00 depending on the distance it will travel. Canada is showing crazy prices, so, once I get your address, I will calculate the postage and send you an email with the cost of packaging and postage and you can decide if you want to move forward.

I have PM'd everyone asking for your ship to addresses. (Apparently, some more than once?) SORRY, Chemo and other required drugs are making life difficult these days.
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 07.09.2019, 17:11

All of the Clamp Plates that were paid for have shipped and most will be delivered today.
Lotus Manuals
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby dunnlor » Thu 12.09.2019, 03:11

John,

Received mine today. They look great! Nice clean cuts without any burrs.

I’ve had full sized prints of the templates for years, but never got around to getting them cut. Thanks for getting this off my list.

Tom
dunnlor
Enthusiast

Postby 2001f4s » Thu 03.10.2019, 14:15

Hi Brit Car Nut,

Realize I am in the wrong thread here, but am interested in some of the side window rubber scrapers you mention. If you are successful with those. Apparently I am too new here to PM. Sorry for the open message.

Scott
2001f4s

Previous

Return to Elan Products for Sale (New Products for Sale)