Sad news about Roland Halliday (inkitin)

Obituaries

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Re: Sad news about Roland Halliday (inkitin)

Postby JohnB » Mon 11.08.2014, 17:41

I'm sorry to have to say that unfortunately I will not be able to attend as I'm not free tomorrow.
I hope everything goes smoothly and the weather is kind.
My apologies and regards
John.
Anybody going slower than me is an idiot. Anybody going faster is a maniac.Image
JohnB
Enthusiast

Postby DavidEJM » Mon 11.08.2014, 18:54

Like others on here I didn't know Roland but I am struck by the comments and memories of him by those that did. He must have been a lovely man as he has left a great legacy with those that knew him.
I hope all goes as it should and I wish I was closer to add to the convoy but I'm sure it will be a good send off.
RIP Inkitin.
Oooooh shiney!
DavidEJM
Fanatic

Postby Enright » Wed 13.08.2014, 14:52

Yesterday the following from LEC attended Roland's funeral:

Mikeydude and Mikeydudette
Me & Kimowalker
G UK & Nicowalker
RobP & MattP
Pete Tapping

Behind the hearse and the cars containing the rest of the family members, Dan and Sophie (Roland's son and daughter in what used to be Roland's Elan) led us in the above order. It was roof down and lights up for every car, and we made our way in procession from the family home to the church, then from the church to the crematorium.
It was a very moving and sombre occasion, but I think we did him proud.
It came across quite a few times in both the church service and at the wake just what an important part Roland's Elan played in his life, and a few of us found it quite emotional.

Roland was given a great send-off, and it was very good of his family to extend the hand of friendship to us and let us contribute, especially when they had far more important things on their minds.

Really nice bunch of people. I hope they come to terms with their loss soon.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Rice crispy » Wed 13.08.2014, 14:59

Proud to be a member of a forum with people like those above who took the time to go and pay their respects to Roland.
Rice crispy
God

Postby mikeydude » Wed 13.08.2014, 16:06

Thanks guys for turning up....I know it's probably the wrong words but I really enjoyed the Wake.....nice to meet Rolands Family and catch up with a few LEC folks

Well..See ya Roland mate!...time for a well earned rest for you eh?...I am sat here having a glass of wine thinking about the good times we had together!
Last edited by mikeydude on Wed 13.08.2014, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
mikeydude
Fanatic

Postby Rob P » Wed 13.08.2014, 21:26

Enright wrote:Yesterday the following from LEC attended Roland's funeral:

Mikeydude and Mikeydudette
Me & Kimowalker
G UK & Nicowalker
RobP & MattP
Pete Tapping

Behind the hearse and the cars containing the rest of the family members, Dan and Sophie (Roland's son and daughter in what used to be Roland's Elan) led us in the above order. It was roof down and lights up for every car, and we made our way in procession from the family home to the church, then from the church to the crematorium.
It was a very moving and sombre occasion, but I think we did him proud.
It came across quite a few times in both the church service and at the wake just what an important part Roland's Elan played in his life, and a few of us found it quite emotional.

Roland was given a great send-off, and it was very good of his family to extend the hand of friendship to us and let us contribute, especially when they had far more important things on their minds.

Really nice bunch of people. I hope they come to terms with their loss soon.

echoing the sentiments from Neil above and also Mikeydude, I am so pleased to have been part of the day and be able to pay my final respects to Roland. I think that the family really appreciated the Elans being part of the ceremony and I hope they will remain within the LEC family as they are lovely people, what else would one expect having been guided through life by Roland and Suzanne his lovely wife.
The 15 minute DVD showing photo's of Roland through his life was a great touch and the Gospel singers at the Church added to whole send off perfectly.

I'm sure I'll still expect him to turn up at future LEC events........in spirit at least, it really was a case of once met never forgotten
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Ian T » Thu 14.08.2014, 23:29

lansledj wrote:Proud to be a member of a forum with people like those above who took the time to go and pay their respects to Roland.

:agree:

This is very moving for me - I lost my mum at the end of April this year and not a day goes by without me thinking about her and feeling the vacuum of her passing. I'd describe it as the point at which an extremely quiet place becomes 'noisy' as you hear your own blood rushing around instead of being distracted by 'normal' noises. Reading about Roland I haven't known what to say as I never met him and have only very recently joined the forum, but in the last month have found some of the most helpful threads on here have had his contributions and the swell of reaction shows just how well he was regarded.

I can only offer my condolences as a bit of an outsider to all concerned - his family especially who won't for a while yet be able to make sense of this and the large base of friends here also.

Ian.
Ex-happy owner of no 117, built 1st May 1990. :)
Ian T
Fanatic

Postby tigerdog » Sat 16.08.2014, 16:20

So sorry to learn of your loss. Condolences from California, wishing you peace in a difficult time.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby inkitin » Sat 16.08.2014, 19:25

We held dad's funeral on Tuesday. We tried our best to give him a send off that he deserved. Many people came up to us and, preceding it with an apology, told us that it was the "best" funeral they had ever been to. In no small part this was due to the wonderful people from LEC who gave up their time to participate in what must be one of the most spectacular funeral processions our area has seen.

As such my family and I would like to express our thanks to everyone who has posted their condolences on the forum and by private message, those who had hoped to attend but were unable and most of all to everyone who gave up their time to send dad off in such a brilliant fashion.

My sister remarked to me that now she had spoken to the LEC folks she could understand why dad loved this forum so much - the cars are what brought you all together but it is the generosity of spirit and fantastic nature of you all that makes firm and genuine friendships inevitable.

As a final reassurance to those of you who weren't quite sure of your place at the funeral and kept asking me if it was ok to stick around; you weren't gatecrashers you were honoured guests! I'll be making a donation to LEC as a thank you.

We'll be keeping Lottie in the family. I'll retire this account shortly and open one of my own. If dad was active on any group buys then I'll take on those commitments to ensure that no one loses out (within reason of course, my resources are a little more stretched!). Please do point me to any you think I should be aware of.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin: 28/09/1949 - 23/07/2014
inkitin
Sadly departed but never forgotten

Postby dapinky » Sat 16.08.2014, 19:35

Dan,

I'm sure that no-one would expect you to honour any commitments that your dad may have made, and you will be as welcome as he was.

Having spent time with you both in the Isle Of Man, and at Donington, I know you have a bit of 'Elan' in you, and Roland willl never be forgotten by those of us who counted him as a friend.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby inkitin » Sat 16.08.2014, 19:52

Thank you Dave
To be honest it is likely that we'll one day need the parts dad was looking to buy anyway so assuming he hasn't bought in on a £2k body kit I'm very happy to take these on.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin

Postby JohnB » Sat 16.08.2014, 21:56

inkitin wrote:As such my family and I would like to express our thanks to everyone who has posted their condolences on the forum and by private message, those who had hoped to attend but were unable and most of all to everyone who gave up their time to send dad off in such a brilliant fashion.

My sister remarked to me that now she had spoken to the LEC folks she could understand why dad loved this forum so much - the cars are what brought you all together but it is the generosity of spirit and fantastic nature of you all that makes firm and genuine friendships inevitable.

I really regret that I was unable to attend and although I didn't have a chance to meet Roland, I felt I knew him from his posts on the forum.
Absolutely it's the cars that bring people together, but LEC is more than that, it's a community, and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed by lansledj. Like him, I am also proud to be a member of a forum with people like those above who took the time to go and pay their respects to Roland.
Anybody going slower than me is an idiot. Anybody going faster is a maniac.Image
JohnB
Enthusiast

Postby nicowalker1 » Sun 17.08.2014, 08:35

inkitin wrote:Thank you Dave
To be honest it is likely that we'll one day need the parts dad was looking to buy anyway so assuming he hasn't bought in on a £2k body kit I'm very happy to take these on.

You have a n extremely well looked after car, Lotte is so pristine, definitely fit for centre stage at a show. Id not expect any major works to be required.
I could just imagine the sort of comment your dad would make should a body kit be 'installed' on an Elan!
:banghead: :-D
nicowalker1
God

Postby whippit » Tue 19.08.2014, 23:14

Having spent most of my lotus time with mr roland, i am lost for word at the loss of true lotus friend, we travelled to most of the events together, the last one being my local event ormskirk,
having been ill over the last year my self and not being on this forum, i was just about to contact mr roland about the show this weekend,
my deepest thoughts go out to his family, the shows will be at a loss for the passing of a good man, there will always be a place next to my car for his at the shows,
iam so sorry i missed paying my respects to roland, i hope in some way this makes up for my absence,
whippit
Fanatic

Postby inkitin » Fri 29.08.2014, 13:21

Thank you whippit. I think I met you on the same day dad did and I certainly remember him talking about you.
91 SE Calypso Red

inkitin

Postby chris.t » Sat 30.08.2014, 01:16

Dan, I'm so glad that you're keeping your Dad's Elan. It goes without saying that it would be hard to see it go, knowing how much your Dad loved it so. I would like to think that your Dad's spirit lives on with the car.

To all of those Elaners that made it to the service, well done for making it on Rolands final earthly journey, I wish I could have joined you.

Roland, RIP
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby DaveT » Sun 31.08.2014, 10:24

Just caught up with this thread as I've been out of action for a while.

Sorry to hear about Roland and my thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends for their loss.

The IOM trip was a good one and I hope to make it there again one day.

TPM
THE PIMPERNEL MOD

Don't get mad- get even!!
Good days are Elan days
DaveT

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 14.10.2014, 21:56

I made a small donation to The Christie on behalf of everyone on LEC last week and had the following reply today:

Your donation will be used towards our Cancer Appeal Fund. This fund is particularly important as it allows us to allocate money to the greatest need, wherever it is within the hospital, at any given time. Whether it supports one of our priority projects, like our New Young Oncology and Haematology department, or ground breaking research, your donation will make a real difference here at The Christie. If you would like any more information about how your gift has been used, or the current projects we are funding, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby tb10 » Tue 14.10.2014, 23:47

Well Done Geoff.

:cheers:
tb10
Fanatic

Postby Rob P » Wed 15.10.2014, 12:11

:agree:
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
Rob P
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Sadly departed but never forgotten