Air Con drier/receiver filter

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Air Con drier/receiver filter

Postby peter.r.hill » Fri 03.03.2017, 02:16

Where can I get a new drier/receiver filter for my series 2's air conditioning unit? I can get a new compressor from SJ Sportscars but they don't have any filters. Thanks Peter Hill Australia.
peter.r.hill

Re: Air Con drier/receiver filter

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 03.03.2017, 05:06

It would be helpful if you edit your profile and enter your location. Australia is a big place and it's hard to offer suggestions as to sources if you are in Darwin and I am searching Sydney...

I am assuming you have the R134 compressor?

SJs list the replacement for the R12 but not for the R134 compressor unless they are selling a locally sourced replacement for the R134, but they usually put that in their price list under the OEM number as a SJs "Special Part".

Just be sure you are looking at the correct part since the two different compressors are DIFFERENT and mount differently.

You should be able to go to a local supplier/service shop and get a standard R12/R134 receiver/drier with o-ring line fittings and one service or test port.

US prices are around $15.00 but Aussie prices are probably close to $30.00. I can see several resellers in the Sydney NSW area but don't know the thread sizes on the lines to search deeper. I am pretty sure you have o-ring fittings and a "switch port" for the Trinary switch. I will look at my spare receiver/drier tomorrow and try to give you more specific part numbers or suggestions.

Look at http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262476826034? for an idea and a possible supplier source. I am fairly certain one of the Holden car models used the same receiver/drier that Lotus used.

You may need to carry your part to a supplier so they can match it up with their stock.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby peter.r.hill » Fri 03.03.2017, 06:32

Thanks for your very helpful reply. I have updated my profile. I'll double check that I need the R134 unit.If SJ hasn't got one then I'll start again (I'll be in England so it's not a problem to bring one back). Unless you know of a source in Aus.
peter.r.hill

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Fri 03.03.2017, 06:53

Thanks for updating your location. Melbourne is closer to Sydney than Darwin...

Both the R12 and R134 compressors are not unique to the M100, so figuring out what brand and model will help you to find a replacement. The R12 compressor is a Diesel Kiki DKS-13G and is correct for the 1989 Isuzu I-Mark with the 6 groove pulley. The S2 never made it to the USA, so I have never looked closely at what Lotus/Bugatti used.

I am pretty sure all of the S2 models used the R134 compressor. The R134 compressor went obsolete at Lotus in October of 2014, so might be a challenge to find.

Somewhere on the original compressor there is a label or stamp with the make, model and other details. Armed with that info, a Google search should provide some options.

Good luck!

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby peter.r.hill » Fri 03.03.2017, 21:42

Really appreciate your help. Thanks.
peter.r.hill

Postby Simon_P » Sat 04.03.2017, 15:45

Peter,

You will find it easier to get the receiver drier in Oz - It will be a catalogue part from your local auto A/C place.

A/C was uncommon here until recently, so you will find it difficult to find a place to ask the question, let alone the answer for a 20 year old low volume car.
Simon_P
Fanatic

Postby peter.r.hill » Sun 05.03.2017, 02:20

Thanks Simon, I'll look for the Dryer here.
I am still in a quandary as to whether my compressor is the later R134A model. SJ Sports Cars have the compressor for the earlier gas but I don't want to rick buying it only to discover that it won't fit. My car is a series 2 1994. Any ideas?
peter.r.hill

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 05.03.2017, 06:04

Maybe you can tell by looking at the charge ports for the system.

The R12 system used standard schrader stems that basically look like tire inflation stems while R134 uses a "snap on" fitting like the connection for an air hose to an impact gun or other shop tool.

AC Service Fittings.jpg

The big problem of doing this is that most R12 systems have now been converted to R134 using adapters that thread over the original schrader stems so you will need to look closely to verify which are the original fittings.

The mounting for the compressors is what is different, so seeing the later type quick disconnect fittings will NOT guarantee that you have an original R134 system.

It might be a good idea to take it to an A/C specialty shop and have them confirm it is an R12 system, an R134 system or an R12 converted to R134 system.

An R12 compressor will work with R134 but it will not mount with the mounting parts used for the R134 system. Of course, the R12 compressor will also NOT mount to the R134 mounting parts.

R12 Compressor and Mount.jpg

R134 Compressor and Mount.jpg

It isn't very easy to see the compressor, but maybe these illustrations will help you identify which compressor you have.

The R12 compressor back end is mostly rounded while the R134 compressor is quite square-ish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby peter.r.hill » Sun 05.03.2017, 08:21

Brilliant...Thank you
peter.r.hill

Postby Simon_P » Sun 05.03.2017, 16:37

The R134a compressor has the connections on the side of the end, the R12 compressor gas the out of the middle of the end.
Simon_P
Fanatic

Postby peter.r.hill » Sun 05.03.2017, 23:04

Thanks that's helpful. I'll slide underneath with my torch. The recharge fittings under the bonnet look like R134A.
peter.r.hill

Return to Heating and Cooling