No air to vents when I accelerate - (even a little bit!)

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

No air to vents when I accelerate - (even a little bit!)

Postby max-walls » Tue 13.06.2017, 18:44

Now, here's a thing.

Driving along with the hood up because the wife doesn't want hair disturbing. Air control set to cold (no air con fitted) and fan switched on.

Under moderate acceleration the air-flow stops, foot off the accelerator and it returns. This seems to be regardless of the heater control settings in terms of which vents are in use and also happens when the fan is not switched on (although harder to detect).

Now, I realise full well that I should not be driving with the hood up, but I would still like to fix this! :D

I can only assume that its a vacuum leak somewhere, although this does feel counter-intuitive...

Any suggustions welcome.
Last edited by max-walls on Tue 13.06.2017, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
max-walls

Re: No air to vents when I accelerate... (even a little bit!

Postby Giniw » Tue 13.06.2017, 18:59

As the depression is taken from the intake and it's only pumped when the butterfly is closed, I would say it is a good idea — not too sure about the tubing and if that is a realistic guess though.
Giniw
Fanatic

Re: No air to vents when I accelerate - (even a little bit!)

Postby maz_r » Tue 13.06.2017, 19:31

Is the fan cutting in and out? Or are the channels through which the air flows closing somehow? If it's the fan then it could be electrical.....?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby max-walls » Tue 13.06.2017, 19:41

maz_r wrote:Is the fan cutting in and out? Or are the channels through which the air flows closing somehow? If it's the fan then it could be electrical.....?

Its difficult to be certain, but I think this also occurs when the fan isn't running....
max-walls

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Tue 13.06.2017, 19:57

There is a vacuum canister under the near side wing, behind the wheel arch cover that stabilizes the vacuum for the heater controls. If it is disconnected (fittings broken), that would account for the vents closing up.

Best to dig out the plumbing diagram for the heater system and check ALL the connections. There are a few elbows that tend to crack and fail that are the same as used on Triumphs (uses thin nylon tubing) so if you find any of those damaged, you can get new ones from Rimmer Bros in the UK.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM

Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby max-walls » Tue 13.06.2017, 20:15

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:There is a vacuum canister under the near side wing, behind the wheel arch cover that stabilizes the vacuum for the heater controls. If it is disconnected (fittings broken), that would account for the vents closing up.

Best to dig out the plumbing diagram for the heater system and check ALL the connections. There are a few elbows that tend to crack and fail that are the same as used on Triumphs (uses thin nylon tubing) so if you find any of those damaged, you can get new ones from Rimmer Bros in the UK.

Thank you - will do!

I suppose I could have guessed that... :bonk:
max-walls

Return to Heating and Cooling