Cooling Fans

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Cooling Fans

Postby stevebow » Wed 23.08.2017, 20:42

Hi i'm Looking for replacement cooling fans, and found these on ebay would these be suitable, i'm assuming i need pull fans.

thanks
stevebow

Re: Cooling Fans

Postby Giniw » Wed 23.08.2017, 21:08

Hi, you should have a look at this page:
http://wikilec.com/view/Cooling_Fans
Giniw
God

Postby muley » Wed 23.08.2017, 22:46

stevebow wrote:Hi i'm Looking for replacement cooling fans, and found these on ebay would these be suitable, i'm assuming i need pull fans.

thanks

That's the sort of thing, but you need 9" fans - 8" would do as well with extra brackets

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC,. Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby stevebow » Thu 24.08.2017, 08:53

thanks for all the info, invaluable as usual.

thinking of getting these ones link looks to have various mounting brackets.
stevebow

Postby muley » Thu 24.08.2017, 17:52

stevebow wrote:thanks for all the info, invaluable as usual.

thinking of getting these ones link looks to have various mounting brackets.

I'm 90% sure I've used those in the past. I've often bought bits from Ace Parts with no problem. Usual disclaimers.

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC,. Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby stevebow » Sun 27.08.2017, 08:45

After a bit more investigation I've found one of my fans does indeed work when grounding the plug from the CTS, the other had a blown fuse, but still won't work with new fuse. And the fan looks fairly new, turns by hand so doesn't appear to be seized. Is it likely to just have died ?

Also discovered the electric coolent pump is not working. Fuse ok and can hear the relay. This looks an easy replace and I've read you don't need to drain the system, so can probably do that myself.

Is there anyway to test the CTS other than running the car. Do you have to drain the system to replace it.
stevebow

Postby CalElan » Mon 28.08.2017, 01:47

The cts is high up so you shouldn't need to drain the whole system.
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby novacaine » Mon 28.08.2017, 08:16

stevebow wrote:After a bit more investigation I've found one of my fans does indeed work when grounding the plug from the CTS, the other had a blown fuse, but still won't work with new fuse. And the fan looks fairly new, turns by hand so doesn't appear to be seized. Is it likely to just have died ?

Also discovered the electric coolent pump is not working. Fuse ok and can hear the relay. This looks an easy replace and I've read you don't need to drain the system, so can probably do that myself.

Is there anyway to test the CTS other than running the car. Do you have to drain the system to replace it.

Just get yourself a SLK auxiliary coolant pump, cheap and very easy to fit yourself. There's a few on eBay for ~£20

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Return to Heating and Cooling