Car for sale Temperature Gauge issue

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Car for sale Temperature Gauge issue

Postby Nick Brough » Mon 08.01.2018, 20:07

What is the normal reading for the temperature gauge. Took a car for a short (around 5 mile) test drive today, and noticed the temperature gauge only just moved off the bottom. Dealer thought is may be the sensor, can these be problematic?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Re: Car for sale Temperature Gauge issue

Postby Giniw » Mon 08.01.2018, 20:25

1/4 when warm on normal driving.
The fans cut in at 3/4 (or ~1/2 when an after-market low temp sensor has been fitted, that happens but that is not standard).
Giniw
God

Postby Nick Brough » Mon 08.01.2018, 20:30

Giniw wrote:1/4 when warm on normal driving.
The fans cut in at 3/4 (or ~1/2 when an after-market low temp sensor has been fitted, that happens but that is not standard).

Will they cut in on idle on a winters day?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Mon 08.01.2018, 21:07

Both fans should cut in any day if, and when, the engine gets hot enough. Normal driving this time of the year the fans probably won't cut in unless stopped for a while in town traffic. The fans normally cut in at the 3/4 mark on the temp. gauge. From cold it will take approx 15 mins. for fans to cut in

Which car did you view ? It might be known by some of us
Last edited by Rambo on Mon 08.01.2018, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Giniw » Mon 08.01.2018, 21:14

Plus, whether the weather is cold or hot might not make a big difference when idling since there is no air passing through the radiator and the heat loss through the car body is probably not that huge.
(Of course, starting from cold to the first time the fans cut in will be different whether the water is initially at -20°C or 35°C ^^)
Giniw
God

Postby Nick Brough » Mon 08.01.2018, 21:29

Rambo wrote:Which car did you view ? It might be known by some of us

This one :D

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C880589

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby John_W » Mon 08.01.2018, 21:32

My car takes a long time to get the fans to cycle in the winter when idling. If the heater is on, they don’t come on at all. I live in the country outside Aberdeen and it’s below freezing.

The gauge shouldn’t normally get above 1/4. If there is really a problem with the engine not coming up to temperature, it’s probably just a cheap thermostat that’s needed.

John

PS nice looking car from the pictures.
John_W
Philistine

Postby Rambo » Mon 08.01.2018, 23:09

Nick Brough wrote:
Rambo wrote:Which car did you view ? It might be known by some of us

This one :D

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C880589

Nick

I think that's the same one I already commented on re. the poor fitting driver's intermediate seals and the rusty brown looking expansion tank ??
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Nick Brough » Sun 14.01.2018, 19:44

Well I bought the car Mark the dealer ran it at idle during the week and confirmed the fans kicked in at the right temp. Drove it 200 miles home today was a bit disconcerting as the temp gauge barely moved of the stop until idling for a bit at a couple of breaks on the way back. Not had a chance to check what temp the gauge is at when the fans cut in.

Looks like my car has a "feature" regarding the temp gauge, iffy sender perhaps?

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Sun 14.01.2018, 20:27

Well done Nick. Hope you have many enjoyable hours driving the car rather than it being sat up in the garage doing unecessary jobs and projects :twisted:

Have fun :burnout:

PS change the thermostat if it worries you. Cheap and easy fix and at least you will have isolated a problem

PPS I drove the Black Beast for 110 miles today in temps of 2 -4C (top down all the way :smt023 ) and thd temp gauge never moved above the bottom mark :?
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby John_W » Sun 14.01.2018, 20:48

Hope you have many enjoyable hours driving the car ...
... change the thermostat if it worries you.

:agree: :smt023
John_W
Philistine

Postby Rambo » Sun 14.01.2018, 21:14

For info.....
.....my yellow custard has a Rod Dickmann thermostat which kicks in earlier and sets the fans going. Very reassuring in town traffic
.....the Black Beast has a manual override switch which I normally switch on when the gauge gets to mid point

As John says though, in winter in Scotland with the heater control up full chat you'll barely get a flicker on the temp gauge unless sitting in town traffic. Not like the sunny costas of Englandshire :poke: We struggle to get up to double figures in God's country. And that's in a good summer :?
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby clemo » Sun 14.01.2018, 21:25

If your really worried then put an inline switch in ... Many of us have .

And then the project creep begins .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 14.01.2018, 21:38

Nick Brough wrote:Well I bought the car Mark the dealer ran it at idle during the week and confirmed the fans kicked in at the right temp. Drove it 200 miles home today was a bit disconcerting as the temp gauge barely moved of the stop until idling for a bit at a couple of breaks on the way back. Not had a chance to check what temp the gauge is at when the fans cut in.

Looks like my car has a "feature" regarding the temp gauge, iffy sender perhaps?

Nick

More likely to be the thermostat stuck open.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Nick Brough » Sun 14.01.2018, 22:08

Thanks for the advice, I put an over-ride switch on my previous car a TVR but that was because it got hot quickly!!", it does have another TVR feature, misty gauges :( . Can't get involved in to many "unnecessary jobs and projects" yet, as I have a GT40 replica in the garage I need to get finished, it"s only been 10 years in the making so far :oops:

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby par » Mon 15.01.2018, 00:35

Nick Brough wrote:Can't get involved in to many "unnecessary jobs and projects" yet
Nick

Ha ha - I think we have all said that and failed miserably :D

Temperature guage sounds normal, I had the same concerns when I first got mine and changed the thermostat just for peace of mind. Good luck with your car I am sure you will enjoy it.
par
Fanatic

Postby Nick Brough » Mon 15.01.2018, 02:16

par wrote:
Nick Brough wrote:Can't get involved in to many "unnecessary jobs and projects" yet
Nick

Ha ha - I think we have all said that and failed miserably :D

Temperature guage sounds normal, I had the same concerns when I first got mine and changed the thermostat just for peace of mind. Good luck with your car I am sure you will enjoy it.

Found this http://www.lotuselancentral.com/repair/thermostat.htm but are there any other tips / quirks I should know about when it comes to changing the thermostat.

Enjoying it already, doesn't have a TVR soundtrack, but it does have a lot of other very goo feature. Very underrated / undervalued car, at the moment ;-) in my opinion

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby Simon_P » Mon 15.01.2018, 04:13

Congrats on your purchase Nick.

That sounds like classic dead thermostat stuck open.

The correct thermostat is excentric ie the hole isn't in the middle.

Flush with fresh water several times and clean the header tank out.

Rely on feeling the top hose to check if it is working, then see what the gauge says.

Why isn't the dealer changing the thermostat for you?
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 15.01.2018, 09:37

Sounds like Nick had an itchy right foot and desperate to get the car before other newbie LEC vultures descend :twisted:

As Simon says, make sure the waterways and header tank are well flushed out. And then treat the car to some fresh anti freeze (but not OAT !!)
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Nick Brough » Mon 15.01.2018, 11:15

Rambo wrote:Sounds like Nick had an itchy right foot and desperate to get the car before other newbie LEC vultures descend :twisted:

You might very well say that I couldn't possibly comment!

Of course being me one popped up this week for sale in my home town!!!!! my preferred colour, possibly better interior, but my wife came to the rescue with "it won't be as good as yours" :D

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling