Cooling Fans removal

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Cooling Fans removal

Postby newtonlad » Wed 14.02.2018, 13:40

Hi All, Can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove the cooling fans from my 1991 model without removing the engine,the skin off my chubby little fingers and filling the swear box?? Thanks in advance, Voltarol man. :shock:
newtonlad

Re: Cooling Fans removal

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 14.02.2018, 14:07

Fan removal is included in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBncofcJ68

Watch it and use the info to get through the process. Cleaning the radiator is a good idea while you are doing it.

At least you don't need to remove the engine.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby newtonlad » Sat 17.02.2018, 21:39

Thanks for the reply Brit car nut. So in the true Lotus tradition, the "easy way" is to remove both wheel arch protectors, remove both light pods, remove undercarriage, remove front bumper, drain radiator and remove, and THEN you can get to the radiator fans. So I will be skinning my fingers, and filling the swear box. This is my sixth Lotus (and probably last, through age) I've enjoyed over the years, and they haven't made them any easier to work on or get in and out of!! Wait for the warmer weather to tackle this job me thinks!
newtonlad

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sat 17.02.2018, 22:02

I honestly didn't look up the sequence in the service manual...
I have a US/Fed car and have several disassembled and I can get to the fans easily.

I just remembered Toby repaired fans in that guide.

It never hurts to download the service manual and actually read it.
The parts guide is also a great source of ideas as to what is around anything you want to work on.
The people that built the car did a pretty good job describing the processes to make repairs

If you just want to remove the radiator to reach the fans, follow these two pages,
You don't need to remove the engine.

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby muley » Sun 18.02.2018, 06:53

The easiest way I found (UK car) was to undo the 2 nuts at the top and the two at the bottom and then wriggle the fan out. Not all the captive studs sheered off ;)

The nuts are hard to get at, I found a 1/4" drive socket invaluable.

It IS easier with the rad out but that only involves disconnecting the hoses, the undertray and the rad support frame ~ as per the manual.

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man"
1995 Palacio S2 no 507
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)Black MX-5 NC Red Honda Integra S
muley

Postby Simon_P » Sun 18.02.2018, 06:57

The fans on UK cars are mounted on the back of the the frame - the radiator is in front of the frame.

Each fan is mounted on four M5 studs so all you have to do is undo four M5 nyloc nuts and withdraw the fan backwards.
Access should mostly lying on the floor and feeling around. The difficulty is the studs will be rusty so don't break them or you will have to take the car to bits to make a repair.

I think I removed the Y pieces to get a spanner on. Now it has copper grease and stainless nuts so the job is easy.
Simon_P
God

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 18.02.2018, 07:04

Sorry, I never installed the radiator or fans back into the UK shell I have over here. It was already disassembled when I bought the entire pile of bits.

With the Turbo in the way and the radiator diagonal instead of vertical, the fans in the US car are a bit cramped.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby newtonlad » Sun 18.02.2018, 12:35

Hi Guys, Well thank you all for taking the time to give me your advice, and especially Brit-car-nut for the diagrams. I am under no illusion that the job would be easy (it is a Lotus after all!!) but I can guarantee that all the bolts on a 26 year old car are pretty well knackered, as I have found out already. Yes, I have a tin of copper slip at the ready, an empty swear box, a box of plasters and a wife to rub my back, knees, elbow and anything else that needs attention!! Thanks again, Tony
newtonlad

Return to Heating and Cooling