Clutch Disengagement

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Clutch Disengagement

Postby kfbrinton » Sun 06.05.2018, 19:32

I have a 69 Elan S4SE with no modifications. When the clutch petal is pressed in the clutch does not disengage until the petal is at the floor. When hot it does not completely disengage. I have bled the system and am relative confident there is no air in the line. I have somewhere heard comments about using a different master/slave combinatiion to move the clutch disengagement point. Any information along this line would be greatly appreciated.
kfbrinton
Welcome to LEC - please introduce yourself

Re: Clutch Disengagement

Postby clemo » Sun 06.05.2018, 22:12

Hi there kfbrinton.

Welcome to LEC . I hope you manage to find the answer to your issues. Most of the owners on here are of the 89 - 96 much later version on the Lotus Elan. Though there are a coupe of early Elan owners that may be able to help out.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 07.05.2018, 10:49

kfbrinton wrote:I have a 69 Elan S4SE with no modifications. When the clutch petal is pressed in the clutch does not disengage until the petal is at the floor. When hot it does not completely disengage. I have bled the system and am relative confident there is no air in the line. I have somewhere heard comments about using a different master/slave combinatiion to move the clutch disengagement point. Any information along this line would be greatly appreciated.

Wrong Forum, this is for M100 Elans... I suggest you look at www.lotuselan.net/ ..or ..https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/409-classic-elan/

but you won't find either as helpful, well organised or friendly as this site. (Suggested solution : buy an M100 and use this site :lol: ).

On the theme of helpful ... on the clutch slave cylinder you'll find an adjuster nut and locknut on the rod to the release fork that alters it's effective length. Could be your locknut has come loose and let the rod become minimum length ..

Items 29 & 30 in the photo - from the parts manual for my Elan+2S

clutch.jpg

Adjust it (without the spring on) to get 2mm clearance between the operating fork and the adjuster nut (so the release bearing still has clearance or it will wear out by spinning all the time) ... and you should find the pedal works in the mid- position.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Elan+"S.... and now a Collapso SE
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Simon_P » Tue 08.05.2018, 13:22

The diagram in the workshop manual is wrong. The clearance on the rod should be total play and not at the measurement points shown on the diagram.
Simon_P
God

Return to Heating and Cooling