Replacement Oil Cooler Hoses

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Postby roy666 » Tue 10.09.2019, 21:34

OilCoolerHose Blow Outc.jpg

Hi Guys - just a little saga that you may wish to be aware of. Had a catastrophic blow out of a oil cooler hose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roy666
Enthusiast

Re: Replacement Oil Cooler Hoses

Postby roy666 » Tue 10.09.2019, 21:35

SJSHoses Fitted.jpg

Decided to replace both of them and SJS seemed to have a good replacement (new) item. Purchased both hoses at £69.80 each..plus the post and packaging of course. The car was in for a service with LotusBits so asked them to stick the new hoses on. They did, but not before checking with me just as they were about to put the hoses on saying they were not fit for purpose (the pipe angles leading to the engine were wrong, and the feed hose was far to long in length). I told them to fit them anyway because I needed the car asap. Bit of a mess inside as you can see and the wheel inner arch did not fit properly, the wheel has worn away a nice hole. Contacted SJS and told then of the problem; initially they were reluctant to accept that the hoses were not fit for purpose. They said send them back and we’ll check them out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby roy666 » Tue 10.09.2019, 21:36

Pirtek Hoses fitted.jpg

I took my old hoses to a Pirtek outlet in Peterborough; £28 quid later they very easily refurbished the metal connectors and replaced the hoses with new material – just excellent. I took the old unfit ones off and put the new (old) puppies on. Then contacted SJS to say that I would be sending the unfit hoses back to them. A week later having heard nothing from SJS phoned them up; took them a while to find the hoses (I sent them tracked, signed for, so I had the name of the individual at SJS who had received them). Eventually they found the package and very quickly a full refund was made plus the postage costs. What a faff and a perfect waste of money and time! Not sure what SJS is doing with their replacement oil cooler hoses… but they need to go back to the drawing board. Cheers Mike
roy666
Enthusiast

Postby Steve A » Tue 10.09.2019, 22:22

This is a common problem which could easily cost you an engine,
so if anyone reading this doesn't know the state of their hoses, get them checked ASAP :poke:
There are plenty of hose replacement firms around Pirtek being one of them :wink:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby Simon_P » Wed 11.09.2019, 06:28

Steve A wrote:so if anyone reading this doesn't know the state of their hoses, get them checked ASAP
]
And if they are the old type get them changed without question. You cannot see if they are OK or not.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 11.09.2019, 08:04

Pirtek is normally my "go to" for any problems like this
Rambo
Don't push me

Return to Heating and Cooling