How to refit the Radiator on a car with AC? (solved)

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

How to refit the Radiator on a car with AC? (solved)

Postby 378S2 » Mon 12.10.2020, 02:23

Hi Folks

I’ve removed my OEM radiator and got stuck last night putting the new one (from SJS) back in. The upper hose attachment point fouls the Y-Bracket and I can’t get it far enough left to locate the mounting pin in the upper grommet. I have AC which I don’t want to remove, so the condenser is in the way making the whole thing a pain.

I am considering two options, has anyone done the job with AC who can help with some good advice please?

Option 1 - shave a little off the top locating pins so the radiator is higher and the y piece there for allows it to move further left.
Option 2 - remove the Y Bracket. (I haven’t done this because it looks like it will be a living nightmare relocating the bolts.

Very much appreciate your help and advice.

Thanks
George
Last edited by 378S2 on Tue 13.10.2020, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
378S2

Re: How to refit the Radiator on a car with AC?

Postby TorqueHorse » Mon 12.10.2020, 16:26

FWIW, this thread has some discussion about mounting pins having been a problem in the past, so that might be an area to compare your new rad to the old one and see if anything is out of tolerance.
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=28212&p=361963&hilit=radiator#p361951
'90 FED M100 -mid resto
Chassis Exterior FrSus RrSus Engine Trans Wheels Steering Brakes Cooling Fuel Ventilation Exhaust Interior
TorqueHorse
Enthusiast

Re: How to refit the Radiator on a car with AC?

Postby Simon_P » Tue 13.10.2020, 12:12

Option 2. Because its only two screws and even if you do modify it enough your chances of getting the pins in the grommets and the grommets staying put are low - option 1 is a collection of new problems.
Simon_P
God

Re: How to refit the Radiator on a car with AC? (solved)

Postby 378S2 » Tue 13.10.2020, 12:45

Hi Simon - thanks, that’s what I ended up doing.

For anyone else who come up against this, the WSM instructions are solid but I added to that removing the recirculating pump, top hose completely, and turbo inlet to give better access for removing the hanging bracket.

Once that was done, it was pretty much just a case of putting it in.

The sheered bolt on the thermostat was an added adventure but all done now.
378S2

Return to Heating and Cooling