heater only gives hot air and temp gauge only goes to 1/4

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

heater only gives hot air and temp gauge only goes to 1/4

Postby paulg » Sat 11.07.2015, 04:19

HI My heater only blows hot air whatever and the temp gauge only goes up to 1/4, is this normal, also i have slight oil leak which appears to be coming from cam belt cover which seems odd

any advice appreciated
paulg

Re: heater only gives hot air and temp gauge only goes to 1/

Postby novacaine » Sat 11.07.2015, 08:03

Sounds like your heater valve may have gone, have a look at this link wikilec.9600.org/index.php/Heater_valve if not it may be the actual slider thats at fault.

As for the oil leak, it may be that you CAS O rings need replacing, have a look at these two links:

www.lotuselancentral.com/repair/casseal.htm
lotuselancentral.com/repair/camseal.htm

1994 Lotus Elan S2 #170 (Steel Blue)
novacaine
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 11.07.2015, 13:36

paulg wrote:HI My heater only blows hot air whatever and the temp gauge only goes up to 1/4, is this normal, also i have slight oil leak which appears to be coming from cam belt cover which seems odd

any advice appreciated

Temp gauge = Normal. Elan Service Notes Electrical Page 4 says "Under normal running conditions,the gauge needle will stay around the quarter scale mark, with fluctuations occurring as the operating conditions change. During periods of idling, or in heavy traffic, the needle will rise to just over the three quarters mark before the cooling fans cut in. If however the gauge needle rises well into the top quarter of the scale for more than a few minutes, the engine is in danger of overheating, and driving style should be modified accordingly. If the temperature remains at this level, a problem is indicated and the engine should be stopped and the cause diagnosed and rectified."

Some owners don't like it and there are threads about changing the way it reads. forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23199&p=308407#p308407

I'm happy that it sits around 1/4 for normal running, then when it's moving above 1/4 I can see what's going on, i.e. hotter than usual,and fans should cut in just before 3/4 mark.
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Tuga2112 » Wed 12.08.2015, 21:20

lotusflasherman wrote:
paulg wrote:HI My heater only blows hot air whatever and the temp gauge only goes up to 1/4, is this normal, also i have slight oil leak which appears to be coming from cam belt cover which seems odd

any advice appreciated

Temp gauge = Normal. Elan Service Notes Electrical Page 4 says "Under normal running conditions,the gauge needle will stay around the quarter scale mark, with fluctuations occurring as the operating conditions change. During periods of idling, or in heavy traffic, the needle will rise to just over the three quarters mark before the cooling fans cut in. If however the gauge needle rises well into the top quarter of the scale for more than a few minutes, the engine is in danger of overheating, and driving style should be modified accordingly. If the temperature remains at this level, a problem is indicated and the engine should be stopped and the cause diagnosed and rectified."

Some owners don't like it and there are threads about changing the way it reads. forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23199&p=308407#p308407

I'm happy that it sits around 1/4 for normal running, then when it's moving above 1/4 I can see what's going on, i.e. hotter than usual,and fans should cut in just before 3/4 mark.

:agree:

mine takes about 15 minutes running iddle to go over the 1/4 mark sometimes even 25 minutes if its cool
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby Candles » Wed 12.08.2015, 22:28

It can't be the heater valve (the one in the coolant pipes to the heater matrix) as that only shuts when the cabin temp control knob is fully cold. The variation in temperature of the air is controlled by a mixer flap. Chances are that the push/pull rod that controls this flap (located in the centre console, accessed from the passenger's footwell has broken the plastic clip on the end, so that the flap is stuck on full hot.

heaterrod.JPG

In here...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Candles on Wed 12.08.2015, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Candles
God

Postby CalElan » Wed 12.08.2015, 22:29

mine sits at 1/4 but unlike a lot of others the fans kick in at almost exactly half way -
I suspect I have a different sender in - maybe because of the higher ambient in California.
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 12.08.2015, 22:40

You've probably been Dicked.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby CalElan » Wed 12.08.2015, 22:55

GeoffSmith wrote:You've probably been Dicked.

I never noticed! :oops:
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby Enright » Thu 13.08.2015, 15:29

Cheapest test would be to investigate what Candles was talking about above.
Drop the glovebox out and rotate the heater knob with your right hand, while checking that the rod that moves back and forth rotates the spindle at the bottom of the heater box round (you'll know it when you see it).
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Return to Heating and Cooling