Piece of Plastic inside electric waterpump

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, Nige, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, Sy V, Specky, clemo, Dave Eds

Piece of Plastic inside electric waterpump

Postby CalElan » Sat 15.08.2015, 01:18

Pump wasn't working so disconnected to investigate.
Inside there was a triangular piece of plastic about 1cm equilateral just floating around inside.

Opened the pump up to see if was part of the internals and it wasn't.

Could anyone have a guess at where this may have come from? (I know it would have been wise to photo the piece <<<---- nope I didn't)

On the positive side - the pump is now working!
CalElan
Enthusiast

Re: Piece of Plastic inside electric waterpump

Postby Tuga2112 » Tue 18.08.2015, 13:15

have checked if the reservoir is all intact ?
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby CalElan » Tue 18.08.2015, 19:00

I haven't but (I should have mentioned this), the plastic was black like the pump body not clear like the housing.

I've read that the heater valve can breakdown, is this plastic? My heater works fine throughout the range but I'm wondering if I should investigate in that direction?
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 18.08.2015, 20:07

Maybe one of the bleed valves. One of mine crumbled quite badly. And they're black. And they've got triangular-ish plastic bits to retain them.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby CalElan » Fri 04.09.2015, 07:43

Just as a cautionary tale. My electric pump is now working and contrary to some things I've read on here it does run quite often after I"ve parked up. I always make sure the temp is in the normal range before I switch off and if it isn't I have a fan override switch to bring it down. Often, returning to the car 5 or so minutes later I can hear the feint whirr of the pump. I am in Califonia so the ambient is normally reasonably high and I am running a lower temp sender but, if your pump isn't working, it's probably worth fixing...
CalElan
Enthusiast

Postby JMP » Fri 04.09.2015, 08:50

As for myself, whenever I park the car while the engine is hot and the fan is running, I always wait for the fan to stop before stopping the engine.

If I want to speed up the process, I use the internal heater at the maximum and with the higher speed of fan because it helps to remove heat from the engine.

Revving at around 2000 runs per minutes also helps circulating more coolant fluid.

About said, it is also important to always have the optimum level in the coolant header tank (no too much though...).

But of course, it is also necessary to have a fully operating electric water pump. I confirm if need be that it may start after few minutes (5 or something as far as I could obverse).

Lotus Seven s3
Lotus Elan M100 SE
Lotus Elise S1 PTP 165
JMP

Return to Heating and Cooling