A/C-Heater fan heavy vibration

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

A/C-Heater fan heavy vibration

Postby jiffyjet2 » Sat 12.09.2015, 08:16

My M-100 has sat for about a year. When I finally got it out, the heater fan above the second click would vibrate extremely hard. I took the fan out, left hand drive, by removing the glove box and found the fan stuffed with a mouse nest! What a mess. There were bits of Kleenex, carpet, peanut shells etc. There was a lot of debris in the ducting too. Vacuuming several times cleared it out. The culprit was not found, however, I now park it with a mouse trap in it.
jiffyjet2

Re: A/C-Heater fan heavy vibration

Postby Giniw » Mon 04.01.2016, 23:12

Hello,
Thank you for the info! Actually mine has a similar issue, it has never bothered me too much but it is in my long term todo list ... I should definitely check it soon :D
Giniw
God

Postby Enright » Tue 05.01.2016, 11:26

Move it up the priority list. I remember Sy had a similar problem. He found the culprit, but not before it had chewed through a load of his wiring and left him with all sorts of electrical gremlins.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Giniw » Tue 05.01.2016, 12:37

Well actually it has been vibrating for a long time (I would say since I bought my Elan) so ... :lol:
Anyway, I will take a look soon, thanks! (especially if one only needs to remove the glove box to gain access to the blower)
Giniw
God

Postby Artaban » Tue 05.01.2016, 12:56

When I lived in Scotland a "wee tim'rous beastie" made a nest under my expansion tank. It then decided to eat my newly purchased HT leads. I soon put mousetraps in and caught 11 of them in 2 weeks. Now in Dorset the neighbourhood is awash with cats so I'm hoping it won't happen again. That said I'll still set a mousetrap if there is any hint a mouse might be around and if the weather gets colder. They ate the HT insulation down to the wire! but thankfully nothing else.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 05.01.2016, 15:45

Artaban wrote:When I lived in Scotland a "wee tim'rous beastie" made a nest under my expansion tank. It then decided to eat my newly purchased HT leads. I soon put mousetraps in and caught 11 of them in 2 weeks. Now in Dorset the neighbourhood is awash with cats so I'm hoping it won't happen again. That said I'll still set a mousetrap if there is any hint a mouse might be around and if the weather gets colder. They ate the HT insulation down to the wire! but thankfully nothing else.
Andy

So, if you want to keep an Elan in Jockland, get an S2..... they come with a cat.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Giniw » Tue 05.01.2016, 20:12

:-D
Giniw
God

Postby Giniw » Mon 18.01.2016, 12:54

I found the culprit yesterday!
Not a mouse, just a "rubber dowel" which probably comes from the wheel arch ... :lol: (not my fault :wink:)
I should have fixed that earlier, I didn't think it would be so easy (just a couple of screws to remove)

Giniw
God

Postby tedtaylor » Fri 21.07.2017, 21:49

Thank goodness for this LEC forum!!! I had this same exact thing happen to me and did a quick research on the forum and came up with this posting. My situation exactly. As such, i was able to easily drop the glove box door, access 3 screws, drop down the blower fan assembly and VOILA, there was the rubber bung plug. Where it came from I have no idea, but that was the culprit and since removed, reassembled everything, and the blower fan is back to normal without any obnoxious loud sounds or vibrations. Amazing!!!

This incident happened as I took my car to the mechanic for the timing belt job (water pump/tensioner pulley/idler pulley, timing belt) with new accessory drive belts. AND while there, the A/C compressor replaced (old one seized up - see post under separate section) and dryer/accumulator replaced and now charging the system. I took it out for a test drive and turned on the A/C and discovered this brand new sound that was definitely NOT THERE BEFORE. I felt terrible since I'm dropping a lot of money getting this work done and now to find out the vibration/noise coming from the dash made me think the A/C compressor was bad.

In the end, this apparently has happened to others, so we're all in the same boat, so to speak.

Thankful again for this forum and leading me to solutions!!! :D
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'66 Elan S2 DHC
'91 Elan M100
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fanatic

Return to Heating and Cooling