waterless coolant

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

waterless coolant

Postby andy b » Wed 09.03.2016, 18:27

Hi people
I have bought a new rad as mine has vanishing fins but no leaks yet does anyone know about the waterless coolant i was told it does not pressurise with heat which i thought on the élan may be a good thing i am aware it is expensive anyone with experience of this stuff andy b
If you can't fix it with a hammer it's electrical.
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Re: waterless coolant

Postby rip » Wed 09.03.2016, 18:31

I have read about it.
It does not pressurise because its boiling point is way above what an engine should normally run at.
It does not mix with water so your system will have to be fully drained before filling.
If you get a leak somewhere, it is expensive to replace.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby Artaban » Wed 09.03.2016, 18:54

I notice that South West Lotus supply it so presumably they'll have some real world experience of it. I'm going to be putting it in my car in the next month or so once I've installed the new gear cables and short shift kit. I also notice that if you are a Club Lotus member you can get 10% off the retail price. When I was up in Chester the classic car garage put it in all their cars; they said it was excellent stuff.
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby andy b » Wed 09.03.2016, 18:58

just read it is flammable rad hoses turbo coolant that will burn thats a no no from me still got to fit the new rad though any problems from some one who has done it for me to look out for.
andy b
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Postby Artaban » Wed 09.03.2016, 19:04

What state is your rad support frame in? I think they are currently a bargain price on the after sales list; don't quote me on that.

If the rad doesn't come out easily then its most likely another bolt holding it in place so don't force it. I thought I'd taken out absolutely everything and in the end it was the fans that were holding it in place.

Have fun :D

Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby andy b » Wed 09.03.2016, 19:12

rad frame no idea until i get in there but i have been through the rear end front end and jacking points only the nose left its just the Finns are slowly rotting away which will cut down my cooling capacity.so it has to be done.
andy b
élan back on the road
andy b
Enthusiast

Return to Heating and Cooling