Water dripping from undeneath the RHS headlamp area

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, Nige

Water dripping from undeneath the RHS headlamp area

Postby nutrocker » Tue 12.04.2016, 15:22

Last weekend I went on the Milton Keynes Classic Car club run. We did some fairly hard driving including the the Milbrook proving ground alpine circuit and ended up at the Porsche test track at Silverstone. There is a short sprint section just before the end where I did my best to test the acceleration. All went well. I then parked up outside the Porsche visitors building for some lunch. When I got back to the car there was a trickle of water from under the drivers side headlamp area. Due to the limited clearance I could not see where the water was coming from. It stopped when I took off the header tank cap. After letting the engine cool down I filled up the header tank and decided to drive home gingerly stopping at regular intervals to check the level in the header tank. I drove via Northampton to drop off my navigator (about 20 miles) and the header tank was still full. I decided to drive home (about 15 miles) driving normally. As the temp remained normal I drove the last few miles quite hard including a mile at 85mph. When I got home I checked the header tank and it was still full. I checked it again just now with the engine cold and there seems to have been no water loss.
I have had a look under the area where the water ran down (probably a pint and a half) as best I can without putting the car on a ramp (a job for tomorrow) and I cannot see any leakage.
Can anyone point me in the direction of what I should be looking for ?
Regards Neville
I must be mad
nutrocker
Tinkerer

Re: Water dripping from undeneath the RHS headlamp area

Postby chrisP » Tue 12.04.2016, 15:44

Best guess would be a leak from the radiator end cap or bottom hose... you may want to take the undertray off to have a better look.

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TB ... 0&ST=&SC=0

Chris
chrisP
Fanatic

Postby GeoffSmith » Tue 12.04.2016, 15:56

Depending on how you were parked, it can come from the opposite end and run along the undertray before hitting the ground.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby John_W » Tue 12.04.2016, 16:01

When I fitted new hoses a few weeks ago, I had a small leak below the RHS headlight area. It turned out to be the connection where the bottom hose attaches to the engine, and tightening the jubilee clip sorted it. Yours might be as simple as this. It's a jack and axle-stands and on your back with a torch job.
John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby nutrocker » Wed 13.04.2016, 12:06

Thanks everyone for your ideas.
I will have a look underneath tomorrow and let you know what I find.
Cheers
Neville
I must be mad
nutrocker
Tinkerer

Postby nutrocker » Fri 03.06.2016, 16:17

The mystery deepens. There is no apparent leak anywhere. I have now driven over 200 miles, some in sporting mode and the water level has remained constant in the header tank. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil and the car is running well. Its as if there was a blow off valve on the engine.
So for the time being I am not going to touch anything and play wait and see.
Neville
I must be mad
nutrocker
Tinkerer

Postby HJ2 » Fri 03.06.2016, 17:01

also no water dripping whilst almost cooled down? If so, it could be the water pump.
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 03.06.2016, 17:27

nutrocker wrote:The mystery deepens. There is no apparent leak anywhere. I have now driven over 200 miles, some in sporting mode and the water level has remained constant in the header tank. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil and the car is running well. Its as if there was a blow off valve on the engine.
So for the time being I am not going to touch anything and play wait and see.
Neville

Have you got air-con' ?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Return to Heating and Cooling