Help with where this goes please...

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Nige, Enright, nitroman, algirdas, Sy V, Specky, clemo

Help with where this goes please...

Postby JusNoGood » Thu 03.05.2018, 18:49

My heating is only blowing at my feet. I've read the threads and looked at the various diagrams and I've found the problem.

Jamming my head up next to the accelerator I found the vacuum pipes aren't connected to the dash heater controls. I cant see whether it plugs into...I need to go out in the car on Saturday so I really dont want to pull apart the dash. Could someone direct me or even better show me a picture of the rear of the heater controls so I can see where it plugs in please? The diagrams in the parts guide dont show it unfortunately.

This is the plug on the end of the vacuum I have dangling around the back of the dash

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 18.44.57.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Re: Help with where this goes please...

Postby esprit888 » Thu 03.05.2018, 18:59

IMGP3425.jpg
IIRC this plugs into the back of your ventilation switch (floor/defrost/vent etc) which has the corresponding number of vacuum ports on the back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by esprit888 on Thu 03.05.2018, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Thu 03.05.2018, 19:11

Cool thanks for the second pic thats the puppy :mrgreen:
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Thu 03.05.2018, 20:11

You can plug the vacuum plug back into the rear of the rotary heater control through the radio aperture - BTDTGTTS, most recently this afternoon. Clipping the heater control rod onto the back of the lower (temperature) rotary switch is, however, a whole different matter. Unless of course you have a spare nine-year-old around who doesn’t mind a little manual labour
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2017 BMW F48 X1 2.0D AWD (goes December)
2019 Volvo XC40 (arrives December)
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby John_W » Thu 03.05.2018, 20:24

Saltire wrote:... a spare nine-year-old around who doesn’t mind a little manual labour

Doesn’t exist, in my experience. Not even for money.
:roll:
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby esprit888 » Fri 04.05.2018, 02:05

This one is better
esprit888
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 04.05.2018, 08:19

Thanks.

I went in through the ash try in the end. Still took a good 40 mins to get in on though! but unfortunately doesn't work :? so I'll need to find a guide to diagnosing the problem after castle combe. For now I've lodged the appropriate valve closed so I have more air going through the windscreen vents :D
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 04.05.2018, 14:18

You should hear a hiss as you rotate the distribution dial (with engine running).

If not, there is no vacuum feed to the dial. So the feed pipe has become disconnected either at the back of the engine from the inlet manifold or from one of the connections to the vacuum reservoir under the LHS (UK passenger) wheel arch liner. You will need to remove the liner to check, although it is just possible to gain access by only removing the top bolts and easing the liner away at the top right.

If a hiss is heard then an actuator has possibly become mechanically disconnected and is not therefore operating the flap. This has happened to me once or twice and is a real pain to re-connect.

There is a very good diagram in the WSM which shows all the pipes and layout for both the 4 and 6 position systems. Section PE page 14c for the 4 position and page 16 for the 6 position. Tried to copy picture in but failed miserably!

Good luck and CU at CC.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Evora 2010
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Postby John_W » Fri 04.05.2018, 16:13

My vote is also for the pipe having come off the plenum. The rubber elbow perishes and splits. See this short thread: viewtopic.php?f=134&t=8119&p=316081
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 04.05.2018, 18:03

Really appreciate all the advice. This is quite an incredible site. Not had this level of help from any other car club I've belonged to :bowdown: Very much looking forward to meeting some of you at Castle Combe :cheers:

Turned out to be a school boy error :bonk: I was turning the ignition on (not starting the engine). As the blower was going full pelt I thought the vacuum should be working too, but the controls weren't doing anything. I jammed a piece of metal in the valve to keep it closed (blasting the windscreen with air). Started her up and the piece of metal fell out :banghead: ....went underneath to jam it back in and the valve was closed, so metal must have fallen out because the vacuum closed it more than I could jam it :lol: So all now working :clap: I dont think it's worked in quite a while. As I tried the different settings I got covered in bits. I think I need some freshener spray now too as it didnt smell of fresh air!

Spent the day replacing my very damp original foam underlay with closed foam. Really pleased to have done that. Outriggers are all treated so look like new. I did also spend some time trying to kill the door rattles. No rattles now from the passenger side but wasn't quite successful with the drivers door - seems to be rattling away just behind my right ear :x ...but after another go that will be another thread...
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 04.05.2018, 18:35

My boost gauge was working fine. It now sits at 0.5 when idling...,and flys off the gauge when On boost, could that be connected to this in some way? :?
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Fri 04.05.2018, 18:54

The boost guage issue isn't likely to be connected - but being an Elan, I can't guarantee that!

I would start with wiggling the wires on the boost transducer (the small rubber-covered cylinder on the drivers' side inner wing) - if they don't make a good/clean contact it would give the result you describe.... that said - it is also vacuum operated, so it *may* have something to do with any other vacuum issue you have.

It would be an easy check to see if you have a vacuum leak somewhere..... with the engine running at idle, just pull the rubber hose off the rear of the intake plenum (at the rear/top - near to the throttle housing). If the engine note changes, then it suggests that the vacuum system is intact - however, if it stays the same, it suggests that the vacuum system is already compromised somewhere - then it is *simply* a case of finding to burst/loose/leaking pipe/connection!!!

Whilst you are stopping bits of leaf debris etc blowing through the heater system, it is a good time to look behind the passenger side wheelarch liner..... it will give you good access to the vacuum reservoir (a black plastic sphere with a few pipes attached) which is bolted up near the door frame....... also you can check that the foam sleeve which connects the ventilation inlet pipe to the clamshell (and then into the car) hasn't perished - it's a commonish fault, and can be either replaced with a new part, or repaired with a piece of rubber innertube and 2 cable ties.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JusNoGood » Fri 04.05.2018, 19:23

Thanks very much Dave, I’ll give it a go :)

Thinking about it it could quite possibly be a connection as I was twisting the dash to try straighten it up a little - I failed :lol: but perhaps succeeded it listening the connection to that :bonk:
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby lotusflasherman » Fri 04.05.2018, 21:57

JusNoGood wrote:My boost gauge was working fine. It now sits at 0.5 when idling...,and flys off the gauge when On boost, could that be connected to this in some way? :?

Have a look at this thread ...first and dead easy thing to check.

Boost Gauge off scale
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera, brace of Pacific Blue SE's, Collapso SE, Elan+S.... and now an Evora
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 05.05.2018, 10:03

Tried the ground and that’s already nice and tight, as well as being a new connection. Next the back of the gauge. Might drill small holes in the top as they do mist up...
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Return to Heating and Cooling