Over heating from the header tank

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, clemo, nitroman, Specky, GeoffSmith, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, DaveT

Over heating from the header tank

Postby Wakeykd » Thu 30.05.2019, 15:10

I’m not the most mechanically minded man so bear with me.

I pulled outside home and noticed there was coolant under the car. Lifted the bonnet and coolant was coming out of the cap, the temp gage was 3/4 turned the car off and let it cool down. No coolant left in the tank. I noticed the fans were not working at this point.

Any help would be appreciative. Not sure if it’s something simple as a fuse (not sure where to locate) water pump, thermostat I ve not got a clue. When I do top back up with coolant can I run upto temp with the header tank top off, when it starts to bubble replace the cap so no air is in the system?
Wakeykd

Re: Over heating from the header tank

Postby Simon_P » Thu 30.05.2019, 15:22

Start by grounding the fan temperature switch. It is the one that you can see on the end of the thermostat housing with a single wire, unplug it and put a paperclip in the socket, switch the ignition on and ground the paperclip - The fans should come on. Wiring diagrams in the wiki.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.05.2019, 15:41

If you don't know where the fuses are the simplest approach is to consult the Owners Manual or the excellent Wikilec

http://wikilec.com/view/Fuses

There is also an excellent search facility here (top right) in which you will find the answer to virtually anything and everything
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.05.2019, 15:48

Is your reg. H869 XUA by any chance ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Wakeykd » Thu 30.05.2019, 16:02

Thank you. I will start with the above. Yes that’s my reg no.
Wakeykd

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.05.2019, 16:25

OK, two things....

1) Take it back to the seller (Strathclydesuite) He/she look like they are dealers so you should have some form of warranty. Get them to sort it and don't be fobbed off by them

2) I noticed that the photo of the engine bay shows a very new coolant/header tank. Maybe the previous owner experienced problems in this department ?

Hope this helps ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Fredjohn » Thu 30.05.2019, 18:21

FYI:

Normal running temperature ON THE GAUGE is just below 1/4. When in stationary traffic (or sitting on the drive) it will eventually rise to 3/4 or thereabouts on the gauge. At this point the fans should come on. Temp will then drop to about just above 1/2 and then the fans will cut out. Temp will then rise to 3/4 or so and fans will come on. And so on until you drive off when the temp will drop to normal: just below 1/4.

If you turn the engine off when on 3/4 or so, then an electric pump should come on to pump water around to aid cooling and help prevent hot-spots. This is located to the right of the bonnet catch as you stare under the bonnet at the top front near the rad.

If the fans don't come on or the electric pump fails to operate at 3/4 or so, then refer to above posts: fuse issue or no earthing of the fans. Either way as Rambo says, the selling dealer should sort it if you have some sort of warranty with the purchase.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Wakeykd » Thu 30.05.2019, 21:31

Thanks for the replies guys.
The fans have not kicked in at all so I need to look into that with my old man and check the fuses with his tools.
I could hear the motor that’s right at the front after I turned the car off, so with limited knowledge I think it could be fuse, fan related.
I ve text the selling dealer and he’s read the text but no reply as yet. I won’t let this go as I’m gutted the car isnt running right. I ve sent another. Hopefully he comes back with a resolution tomorrow.
Wakeykd

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.05.2019, 21:40

Well, the cynic in me says he won't. But I hope he does

Given the age of our cars it is not uncommon for one fan to give up but both at the same time says fuse to me. Particularly if the car hasn't been used for a while. Fans are easily replaceable - I think my last replacement was by Valeo ???

I just hope you haven't cooked the engine :?

As I mentioned, you should have a guarantee/warranty with this car if you bought it from a dealer (nothing from a private sale unless the guy has a conscience) so get it back there asap. Sale of goods act. etc...........
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.05.2019, 21:48

It's always worth putting your location into your profile. You never know who might be on your doorstep to lend a hand or give advice
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Wakeykd » Thu 30.05.2019, 22:04

Thanks again.
Soon as I saw it was boiling over I turned off the engine. I ve been in motor trade as a Sales person and manager for 21 years so I will get him to help with this, I know all the rules and regulations. I just want it sorting as I love the car.
Wakeykd

Postby Rambo » Thu 30.05.2019, 22:10

Previous owner lived in Clitheroe, Lancashire. Send him (AndyT) a PM asking if he had any overheating issues or fan problems during his ownership

Dealer (Strathclydesuite) is in Killearn, near Loch Lomond, so I'm guessing you're fairly local too ???
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Wakeykd » Thu 30.05.2019, 22:37

I’m in Yorkshire so no a good old fair distance away. I will see what comes of this in the coming week.
Wakeykd

Postby par » Thu 30.05.2019, 22:54

May just have had the coolant drained and refilled by the dealer and caused an airlock in the system somewhere that hasn't been bled properly!

The bleed screw should be underneath the passenger headlight, if you raise the pod up you should see the black cap. It would be worth cracking this open slightly with the engine running and see if you get any air out of it. The heater control valve can also get gunged up, so set the heating temp & fans on full also with the engine running, if its all good you should get really hot air out of the vents.

I had a similar problem when I first got mine and feared the worst thinking headgasket but once I got everything sorted had a compression test & sniffer test carried out and it was all good.

I changed the thermostat & the heater control valve but if I remember correctly it was the vacuum pipe that operates the heating that had become disconnected and was preventing the heater matrix from bleeding properly.
par
Fanatic

Postby John_W » Fri 31.05.2019, 00:23

What everybody else isn’t saying is look out for a failed head gasket.
Good luck, because it looks like a nice car.
John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Wakeykd » Fri 31.05.2019, 12:46

Unfortunately the dealer I bought it from Modern classic car co. Mark Heron in Scotland cut me off when I spoke with them and now will no answer. needless to say al be taking action against them. The car will be just stood now until I get some resolution. Needless to say This has tainted my ownership, once fixed I will be moving the car on. Short but not so sweet ownership.
Wakeykd

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 31.05.2019, 13:15

Looks like a few Porsche owners have an issue too:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125972

Whilst it may all seem unpleasant so far, provided the head gasket hasn't failed the actual fix to your car should be simple, cheapish and straightforward.

Don't give up on it just yet! There's loads of good advice on here as I am sure you have already discovered.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Rambo » Fri 31.05.2019, 21:18

Wakeykd wrote:Unfortunately the dealer I bought it from Modern classic car co. Mark Heron in Scotland cut me off when I spoke with them and now will no answer. needless to say al be taking action against them. The car will be just stood now until I get some resolution. Needless to say This has tainted my ownership, once fixed I will be moving the car on. Short but not so sweet ownership.

Exactly what I thought would happen :?

Rambo wrote:Well, the cynic in me says he won't. But I hope he does

I wonder if ScottJ has heard of these cowboys in Killearn ? Anything on LEGS Scott ?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rambo » Fri 31.05.2019, 21:27

Fredjohn wrote:Looks like a few Porsche owners have an issue too:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125972

Whilst it may all seem unpleasant so far, provided the head gasket hasn't failed the actual fix to your car should be simple, cheapish and straightforward.

Don't give up on it just yet! There's loads of good advice on here as I am sure you have already discovered.

I would agree with John.

You will obviously need to get the car sorted by yourself and others as this Mark Heron guy sounds crooked. Lets hope you, or the previous owner, haven't cooked the engine
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Wakeykd » Fri 31.05.2019, 21:30

Quick update. I’ve tried the paper clip to temp switch and earthed it, ignition off the electric cooling motor kicks in, same again with ignition on and the fans don’t come but I can hear a relay click. Could that mean it could be the two 15 amp fuses? I can’t check these till my old comes Monday with his multi meter. I’m thinking this more than the thermostat?
Wakeykd

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling