Problem when changing my hoses

Postby chris.t » Tue 21.02.2006, 18:33

valve and hoses on and everything working ok. I think there is a little more heat coming thru but haven't really got it up to full running temp yet.

This episode has prompted me to think about what other things are lying in wait for me. This old valve was very close to failure albeit not as close as Sy's was. Typically it would have gone in rush hour on the M25.

I think that the Forum would benefit from a section which alerts owners to potential problems such as this, after all we only found this cos we wanted to put new hoses on. How many other cars are out there with this problem!!!
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby Sy V » Wed 22.02.2006, 13:40

I'm glad all is OK Chris, because when I was playing with mine last night, the effort required to open and close it was far greater than that required on the original part.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby PaulN » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:00

chris.t wrote:valve and hoses on and everything working ok. I think there is a little more heat coming thru but haven't really got it up to full running temp yet.

This episode has prompted me to think about what other things are lying in wait for me. This old valve was very close to failure albeit not as close as Sy's was. Typically it would have gone in rush hour on the M25.

I think that the Forum would benefit from a section which alerts owners to potential problems such as this, after all we only found this cos we wanted to put new hoses on. How many other cars are out there with this problem!!!

The Valve leaks alot when its just packing up........ not a great way to find faults though :shock:

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens For A Reason!
PaulN
Fanatic

Postby chris.t » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:04

Still my main point is to have a section on the site which highlights this sort of degradation whilst leverything ooks fine from the outside. Just a thought.
chris.t
God

Postby PaulN » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:07

chris.t wrote:Still my main point is to have a section on the site which highlights this sort of degradation whilst leverything ooks fine from the outside. Just a thought.

Its a great idea, like a 50 point check of parts that tend to fail.

Problem is where do you stop on these lol.

Cheers

PaulN
Everything Happens For A Reason!
PaulN
Fanatic

Postby chris.t » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:24

PaulN wrote:
chris.t wrote:Still my main point is to have a section on the site which highlights this sort of degradation whilst leverything ooks fine from the outside. Just a thought.

Its a great idea, like a 50 point check of parts that tend to fail.

Problem is where do you stop on these lol.

Cheers

PaulN

Good point - well made :wink:
chris.t
God

Postby Sy V » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:51

You could start by using 70% of the things to look for when buying, then start adding others.
How you'd check this sort of degradation without removing the hoses though, is beyond me. Apart from a little lime build up in the union there was no tell tale sign of impending gloom until the hoses were separated.

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby chris.t » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:56

Sy V wrote:You could start by using 70% of the things to look for when buying, then start adding others.
How you'd check this sort of degradation without removing the hoses though, is beyond me. Apart from a little lime build up in the union there was no tell tale sign of impending gloom until the hoses were separated.

Yes that would be a start. There must be many situations on discovering something is knackered whilst primarily doing another job. On discovery the normal comment would be "well i'm glad i discovered that before it fekking well broke....."
chris.t
God

Postby Sy V » Wed 22.02.2006, 16:33

I disagree.

Surely the normal comment is "Bollocks, how come that broke when all I was doing was...?"

;-)

Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Dico » Fri 10.03.2006, 15:57

Still aint arrived :? Feck it, think i'll fit the old one back on.

Hows that for project decreep???
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Postby John_W » Fri 10.03.2006, 16:48

Dico wrote:Still aint arrived :? Feck it, think i'll fit the old one back on.
Hows that for project decreep???

Dico,
if you're still talking about the heater valve, it only takes 15 mins to change anyway.

I finally got round to changing mine for the Jag version yesterday. The old one looked OK on the outside, but when I had a look through it while operating the mechanism, the path seemed permanently obstructed because the butterfly arrangement seems to have corroded and fallen apart. I don't think it would have done much to control water flow, being stuck in a sort of half-on-half-off position.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Dico » Fri 10.03.2006, 19:02

Hmm, you may have changed my mind for me John.
I suppose for just over £20 and another phone call i should chase it up really :?
4+ hours stuck in a damp bucket seat with a mad Irishman at the wheel - Deep joy!!!!
Dico
Fool Boy Four - Founder

Postby nitroman » Fri 10.03.2006, 20:57

What really sucks is to think where the little parts that might break off would end up: blocking a critical coolant passage somewhere, in the radiator decreasing overall cooling capacity?

Having removed these hoses & the valve from my car I can see that the valve is still fully intact on the inside and opens/closes. On the outside there is a little surface rust on the "ring" where it mates to the plastic outlet but that's it; otherwise it looks new.

If you change your coolant every 2 years aren't there supposed to be rust-inhibitors in the coolant? That's why old coolant left in a car too long gets that brown rust look, right?
nitroman

Postby Andy C » Sun 25.06.2006, 08:01

I have had the same problem when changing my hoses.

I did some browsing however, and discovered this ..

Product Code: HT2003
Price inc GST($AUD) : $56.68 EA

Export Price exc GST($AUD) : $51.53 EA
Description: TAP ASSEMBLY HEATER XB XC ZF ZG ZH SOME XD XE XF&J

From http://www.rarespares.net.au .. its a Ford part :smt102

Looks like a direct replacement. I have ordered one .. we'll see how it goes.
Andrew
Medina Green #296 The Cruising Car- with Brians Wilwood Brakes and ProTech Suspension
2005 Exige The Racing Car- Australian Supersprint Champion 2015, State Supersprint Champion 2015, 2016
Andy C
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Sun 25.06.2006, 11:54

Andy,
It's not a particularly sophisticated part, so I'm sure there are many out there which will do. Basically it's just a vacuum-operated water valve - either full on or full off.

The only important thing is to make sure that the default position (ie when just sitting there on the shelf) is fully open. When the vacuum sucks on the diaphragm (which it only does when you select full cold on the heater control), the linkage closes the water pipe to shut off flow. You should be able to partially operate the mechanism by sucking on the air pipe inlet.

John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Re: Problem when changing my hoses

Postby John_W » Thu 25.02.2016, 21:33

Cross-reference to viewtopic.php?f=134&t=8119 for related check that the vacuum hose that operates the valve is connected.
John
John_W
Heid-bummer

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling