Beer, banger, cider and burger festival

† Bristol Outlying Lands LEC Knowledge & Support

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Beer, banger, cider and burger festival

Postby Rambo » Tue 15.05.2018, 21:42

The good news is that this event is definitely on next Friday to Sunday at The Smoking Dug, Malmesbury

Even better for the Burton Hill campers as it is less than a 10 minute stagger from canvas to canvas :cheers:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Re: Beer, banger, cider and burger festival

Postby clemo » Tue 15.05.2018, 21:45

Yeee haaaa

only thing missing for me is a car ..
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby dapinky » Wed 16.05.2018, 11:25

Having spent the last few weeks deliberating the best course of action to get my car to CC, I have finally decided that to trailer it with the campervan is too much trouble (as I haven't got access to a trailer locally), so it will have to be driven.....

..... so it needs to be in a reliable drivable condition.....

..... and as it has been standing outside all winter, it needed some TLC.......

(1) Brake overhall at the very least - with whatever remedial action that reveals
(2) Remove the water from the interior
(3) Remove the 'furry' seat covers which have grown due to the damp conditions
(4) Charge up the battery, top up the fluid levels, cross fingers and turn the key
(5) Drive it a bit to see what else has degenerated during 8 months of non-use due to the house move taking up all my time.

I started 3 weeks ago with removal of the cover to reveal the extent of the work - it took a strong constitution and steely grit to make the decision, but having done so, and opened the door to the inevitable musty smells, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Although the seats were damp, all water which had got as far as the floor had drained away past the closed-cell foam, and through the drilled 6mm drain holes at the lowest levels - no swimming pools!

I didn't have enough water to warrant getting the wet/dry vacuum out, so simply put a couple of 'moisture trap' things inside the car - one on the passenger dash, and one each in the footwells. I used the cheap plastic things designed for caravans etc - just a plastic box with Calcium Chloride flakes in the top which absorbs the water in the air and drops it into the box as a thick brine which just gets chucked away. It works best in warm wet conditions, so not ideal during Winter storage, but great for Spring use.

By yesterday, the interior had dried out enough (1 change of CaCl2 a week ago) to carry on.

on to the list....

(2) - completed
(1) - starting at ROS (which had a sticky handbrake when layed-up, so a known problem to sort) - obviously, all discs were a bit rusty, so whipped the caliper off and disc first. Pleased to find sliders still sliding (but cleaned/regreased them anyway whilst i was there). Also, no sign of any fluid leaks, so removed rear handbrake lever and got a 9/16" spanner on the hex which operates the handbrake (could have used a 14mm, but better to use the correct spanner in my opinion) - it was a bit tight, but with a bit of careful application of turning force it freed off enough to strip the caliper rear seals out and clean everything up. Got bored at that point and grabbed a bag of new rubber seals out of stock and just re-built the caliper! Blead the air out, re-attached it to car, adjusted the piston position etc - all working fine! Obviously, the discs were cleaned (call me an OCD sufferer, but having got the surface clean with a wire brush in angle grinder (actually only a light covering of surface rust) I dropped the whole disc in Phosphoric Acid to give it a nice clean). TBH, I did that whilst I was doing the caliper, otherwise it would have been a 20 minute wait in the wrong order!!!!.
The only real issue is that the handbrake spring which returns the lever to the stop appears to be less 'springy' than it should be - might have to find another one (but it works).
RNS only needed a disc clean and re-grease. Both fronts were the same. Overall, not a hard job, but one that needed doing - oh, and clean the pad surfaces aswell, before they got any rust embedded in them from use.
(4) Battery had been on charge since I started, no oil needed, a bit of brake fluid from the rebuilt caliper job, top-up coolant, air in tyres.
(3) It looked horrible, but a bucket of hot water and a couple of cloths got the worst of it off without soaking the leather. Then another bucket of warm water with Milton sterilising solution in it to clean all interior surfaces. Lots of faff (especially round the dashboard area due to all the nooks and crannys), but eventually it was 'job done'. I had already hoovered the carpets and mats.
(4 and a half) Check everything works - most importantly, tune the radio and set the clock!!!! - Oh, and things like lights, wipers, seat-belts and other unimpotant stuff.

I was impressed (but not actually surprised) that when i turned the key it fired up to a rough idle :D . It then died again :( . So I switched the inertia switch back on again :oops: - which I had turned off when leaving the car last year - the fuel pump worked up to pressure, and stopped, so turned key a bit more, and it fired up to a nice idle :D :D

No leaks visible and it got up to 'fans-kicking-in' temperature.

(5) :burnout: :burnout: - oh yes - big smiles again. (window squirters not getting water onto screen is only known issue. Tyre pressures need setting acurately - done with the guage on my airline, but a new battery needed for my accurate tester).

Anyway, the point of this post being that I will be driving it to CC, with camping gear in the boot. No room for lots of food in case I have to pick up Clemo from Bristol train station (hopefully not!) - so nice to know that the pub has got us covered.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby clemo » Wed 16.05.2018, 12:09

Pinky ,
I am sure a moderator will come along soon and move your post to projects minor .

In the mean time i am looking at train tickets to Stafford to collect the car and Bristol should i be minus a motor .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby dapinky » Wed 16.05.2018, 16:10

Nah, can't see any moderators coming past here in the near future.....

... anyway, it was just a long-winded post to say i can collect you en route to the campsite, so it is sort of relevant to this thread......
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Rambo » Wed 16.05.2018, 21:15

And if you get fed up with pub grub or curries, there is a nice Waitrose in the village with a good deli. and BBQ stuff
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby Saltire » Wed 16.05.2018, 22:52

Just don’t try the fish & chip shop in Cross Hayes. On the other hand, the fish & chips from the Chinese restaurant (I know) in the High Street is supposed to be very good. Never tried it as we always go to Chippenham (best but busy) or Tetbury.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby epipete » Sat 19.05.2018, 11:25

Can CC postpone this event for a few weeks as I don't get back to the uk til early June and the car doesn't arrive until the end :shock: ?
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sat 19.05.2018, 12:02

Rambo wrote:And if you get fed up with pub grub or curries, there is a nice Waitrose in the village with a good deli. and BBQ stuff

where is this nice waitress in the village ?? :bananasex: Damn, should have gone to Specsavers ... :lol:
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Steve A » Sat 19.05.2018, 17:32

Is everyone taking cooking equipment to make a brew etc ?
Just went to get gas for mine and was told they don't make it for my little stove anymore :lol:
Might have to get a new one :roll:
"If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
Steve A
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 20.05.2018, 10:01

Steve A wrote:Is everyone taking cooking equipment to make a brew etc ?
Just went to get gas for mine and was told they don't make it for my little stove anymore :lol:

Have you 'googled' for what you need? Don't let the 'we don't stock' brigade fool you with "they don't make it". What is it?
Never knew my Dad could swear till he took something into a hardware shop to get a match and was told "Nobody has ever made one of those" ... I learnt a lot of 'Army expressions' in the next minute ..
Might have room to shove in my Optimus Petrol Primus stove. Never run out of fuel for that but most friends found an excuse to get as far away as possible when I fired it up ... :burnout:

Edit: Just fired up the Primus after 40 years of gas cartridges. Works a treat, just can't beat old technology.. :lol: Gets mild steel cherry red (we reshaped a squashed exhaust after an off track excursion) but will burn a hole in a dry ali' kettle in seconds if you forget to put water in .. :banghead:
Last edited by lotusflasherman on Sun 20.05.2018, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 20.05.2018, 10:17

Got plumbed in gas hob in campervan, but will only be there Saturday pm to Sunday am
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Saltire » Sun 20.05.2018, 18:41

If all else fails, full cooking facilities available 4 miles from the campsite . . . in my kitchen :lol:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 20.05.2018, 18:44

Fredjohn wrote: Got plumbed in gas hob in campervan, but will only be there Saturday pm to Sunday am

Part-timer ! :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby dapinky » Sun 20.05.2018, 21:01

I'll have my (t)rusty petrol stove with me.
Dave

dapinky

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 20.05.2018, 21:45

dapinky wrote:I'll have my (t)rusty petrol stove with me.

Another petrol-head! Can't beat it.. diesel doesn't work. :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 20.05.2018, 22:32

lotusflasherman wrote:
Fredjohn wrote: Got plumbed in gas hob in campervan, but will only be there Saturday pm to Sunday am

It's only the campervan and it's driver that's part-time.... I'll be there from Saturday am! :gathering:
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Sun 20.05.2018, 23:33

Fredjohn wrote:
lotusflasherman wrote:

It's only the campervan and it's driver that's part-time.... I'll be there from Saturday am! :gathering:

:lol: Rambo & I are in Thursday evening, I'm out Monday, Rambo Tuesday or Wednesday ... may need a few cups of tea/coffee or we'll drink the pub dry ... :drunk:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Return to BOLLECKS† weekend - Castle Combe 26-27 May 2018