new member in gloucester

Read here for help with getting started on postings.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

new member in gloucester

Postby cshtelecaster » Fri 18.05.2018, 20:00

Hi all
just to say hello to everyone here. Im Chris, have had in the past an s3 and an s4 elan. I did a chassis change on the s3 and much other work besides, took both cars around France with no problems , stopped by French police just so they could see the car Lotooos..Anyway, to the present, im going to look at an m100 which i hopefully will buy in a few weeks..My first and only experience of the m100 was when it came out, at that time i was a member of club Lotus and along with friends we were invited to Bell and Colvills for a ride in the new car..My first impressions, well the shape took some getting used to, the test drive,wowwwww,, the exhaust note rather too quiet. Since then the shape has very much grown on me, the exhaust note , i hope as the car i will be seeing has a larger bore ss will sound more sports car, and im really looking forward to seeing it. My choice was either an m100 or a vx220, as i will be using it every day, and gettting in and out is easier, its the m100...any points to look out for,,the car im going to see sounds well cared for..

Chris
cshtelecaster

Re: new member in gloucester

Postby Simon_P » Sat 19.05.2018, 02:58

Hi Chris,

You'll love it!
As a daily driver the standard exhaust is great because it is quiet, the SS exhaust will be sportier sounding. Rusty wishbones and outriggers are the big things to look for, seals are expensive to replace if they are avaliable.

There is a buyer's guide on here and there will be lots of advice but...
As you know this is an M100 site, we do get a few people who have 60s elans who have come to the wrong place. I suspect many people will get as far as reading the first line of your post and move on. I read past that as I also have a 60s elan. You may get more responses if you start a thread titled buying advice please.
Simon_P
God

Postby alan e » Sat 19.05.2018, 04:59

Welcome and good luck finding the right one for you its a great car but worth taking your time looking for the one for you, you will get lots of help here if its needed.
Black 1992 M100
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
BMW X5
alan e
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Sat 19.05.2018, 07:24

Welcome! Lots of members reasonably local to you, and you may like to wander along to the big Lotus meet at Castle Combe next Saturday. Free entry, and st the last count we had 25 M100s attending, so there’ll be plenty of cars to look at and chat about with happy owners. Ask if you need more details and look forward to, hearing about your car soon.
Last edited by Saltire on Mon 21.05.2018, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Postby Artaban » Sat 19.05.2018, 18:11

I really wanted a VX220 until after I'd driven it. I can't put my finger on why I didn't like it but I got out of the car and I wasn't smiling. I then drove the Esprit V8 and I was laughing like a lunatic. However between the Esprit, VX220 and M100 the M100 wins by a huge margin as a daily driver. Last weekend, at the classic car show at Killerton House in Devon, there were two M100's and they stood out as really great looking cars in a sea of about 250 classics. Thats the first time I've thought that these cars will really start to go up in value from now on; probably because I've sold mine and every car I've sold has shot up in value since. Yes I know I should have kept it... :(

Good luck in your search.

Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby rip » Mon 21.05.2018, 08:48

Castle Combe can't be too far from you & it is this week.
Feel welcome to come along & have a chat with those of us who will be there.
1990 SE
rip
God

insurance and mods

Postby cshtelecaster » Thu 24.05.2018, 22:35

Firstly thank you for new member replies and advice..Ive attended castle coombe on many past occasions for lotus day, many times camping there the previous night.This year however i have other events as its my 60th...anyway, what i wanted to ask was this, does anyone have any ideas of classic car ins extra premium when modified...the car im going to see has big bore s/s ex,,roll hoops,,better brakes, and air intake mods,,no chipping ...any ideas on how mods affect premiums..
chris
cshtelecaster

Re: insurance and mods

Postby Fredjohn » Thu 24.05.2018, 22:44

cshtelecaster wrote:Firstly thank you for new member replies and advice..Ive attended castle coombe on many past occasions for lotus day, many times camping there the previous night.This year however i have other events as its my 60th...anyway, what i wanted to ask was this, does anyone have any ideas of classic car ins extra premium when modified...the car im going to see has big bore s/s ex,,roll hoops,,better brakes, and air intake mods,,no chipping ...any ideas on how mods affect premiums..
chris

My own experience with the M100 and classic insurance: modified very similar to your list but also with a chip. Extra cost for that lot? Nothing , and I have been with 2 different companies since acquiring the car in 2012 and neither added any premiums.

But it is on a two car policy with the S4.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 24.05.2018, 22:47

Ditto what he said

All mods declared to Footman James (cosmetic and mechanical) - no premium load.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Re: insurance and mods

Postby maz_r » Thu 24.05.2018, 23:00

cshtelecaster wrote:its my 60th

Happy Birthday :smt113
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby Giniw » Thu 24.05.2018, 23:10

Hello and welcome cshtelecaster!

Artaban wrote:I then drove the Esprit V8 and I was laughing like a lunatic.
:lol: :clap:
Giniw
God

Return to New User Help with Postings and Extras