brake master cylinder

Read here for help with getting started on postings.

Moderators: theelanman, nitroman, Specky, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, GeoffSmith, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

brake master cylinder

Postby jsaunders » Mon 09.07.2018, 12:58

Hi all,
First post. Can I replace the master brake cylinder and servo from an S2 to my 1990 S1
Regards
James -UK
jsaunders

Re: brake master cylinder

Postby clemo » Tue 10.07.2018, 21:11

Hi J Saunders and welcome to LEC .
As far as i know i think they are the same ( though someone else may something otherwise)

All the best and let us know how you get on .
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby dapinky » Tue 10.07.2018, 21:27

As above - they are the same part...... but swapping them isn't totally straightforward.

The master cylinder is removed from the engine bay side, but the servo comes out from the inside of the car, and requires quite a few other parts to be moved first. (Centre console, Steering column, fascia, instrument panel and some wiring - then it comes out with the pedal box (having undone the clutch/throttle cables).

Not a difficult job (apart from getting backache reaching into the footwell), but not as straightforward as other vehicles where it simply unbolts at the front.

It's all well documented in the workshop manual (Section JE8, from p15) with good diagrams.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 10.07.2018, 21:31

Dave just beat me to it. If you check the parts manual, there is only one part no. for the RHD BMC and only one for the RHD servo.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Return to New User Help with Postings and Extras