Read here for help with getting started on postings.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Postby ATCO99 » Sat 03.11.2018, 04:43

Hi,

I registered in 2015 and like the site but haven't posted anything before because I didn't have a car to talk about. Last week I bought a red 1991 Elan M100 and I am delighted. This is my 2nd Elan, I had a silver one back in the UK in the mid 90's which I enjoyed immensely but had to sell, so it feels great to own one again.

This one seems to be stock except for:
- Sports exhaust (gear changes sound awesome!)
- Bass speaker (installed behind the passenger seat)

It has a couple of issues that are being addressed but otherwise it is quite tidy:
- Cam Angle Sensor
- Window regulator (passenger)
- Windscreen surrounds

I am considering a few mods as I am 6' 4" and need more legroom
- Elise steering wheel swap
- Seat swap
- 16" or 17" wheels so OEMs can be preserved. Can anyone tell me what the OEM wheel specs and offsets are for a FED Elan M100 so I can shop more accurately?

I'll post some pictures soon and look forward to interacting with folks on the site and learning about my car on a deeper level.

Thanks!
ATCO99

Re: New Member

Postby clemo » Sat 03.11.2018, 08:56

Superb news ..
Welcome back ( again)
Hope you get to enjoy the benefits of you somewhat (now) classic car.

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

All the best

Clemo
Jim Clark S2 - 1/13. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 03.11.2018, 18:09

Welcome.

Have you taken out the spacers under the seats? That'll give you an extra inch...never thought I'd say that on a car forum.
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby dapinky » Sat 03.11.2018, 18:31

JusNoGood wrote:Welcome.

Have you taken out the spacers under the seats? That'll give you an extra inch...never thought I'd say that on a car forum.

...but it actually feels like a lot more (I wouldn't have expected to say that, either!).

Also, removing the drivers' side sunvisor helps a lot if you are a bit taller than average (just wear shades and cap with the roof down - it's useless anyway unless the top is up, and who wants to drive like that?)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby ATCO99 » Mon 05.11.2018, 04:36

Not sure how to reply to individual posts so will try to do justice to all 3 of you in this one.

Clemo,
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, 3 years from sign up to first post is sad but the rumors of me being a procrastinator are overstated! I've driven the car twice, top up and top down and the smile factor was instantaneous and the memories of my first Elan flooded back. Now its in storage for the winter while it gets worked on.

JusNoGood,
LOL, Nice one! too funny!
Good call out on the spacers, I will look into that. Headroom is actually ok but I can't stretch my legs out much or get knees under steering wheel. I've heard 911 seats can travel further back (T/F?). A mechanic I found recently removed 2 x 911 seats from an Elan (new owner 5' 6", previous owner 6' 7") He has since sold the seats but showed me the fabricated metal strips used to mount them. I just need to find some 911 seats. Has anyone on this forum done this swap? Shared their results?

DaPinky,
LOL, hilarious! You guys are on a roll today!
Yes, sun visor coming off, it might help me see traffic lights better too because they're suspended across the lanes over here vs on poles beside the road.

Will post some photos of the new one and the one that got away as soon as I figure out how to reduce the image file size.
ATCO99

Postby ATCO99 » Mon 05.11.2018, 04:55

ok, figured out the photo file size thing. 2 of the new one and 1 of the one that got away
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ATCO99

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Mon 05.11.2018, 05:42

Interesting, the first one is not a FED/US version or someone has done a huge amount of work changing parts including the body.

To reply to specific posts, just click on the Quote button on the top right. It will open a reply window and quote the specific post you are replying to.
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby tb10 » Mon 05.11.2018, 08:02

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Interesting, the first one is not a FED/US version or someone has done a huge amount of work changing parts including the body.

Hi John,

See OP’s First post

“I had a silver one back in the UK in the mid 90's”

Regards

John
tb10
Fanatic

Postby JusNoGood » Mon 05.11.2018, 09:28

I think it is RonR who has fitted 911 seats. Step by silky step I think is his thread title in projects. Very nice seats. I can’t remember him mentioning more space but you could ask him.

I’ve read most of the project threads prior to purchase...gave me very good idea of the issues, reasons for upgrade etc :-D
JusNoGood
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Mon 05.11.2018, 10:32

ATCO99 wrote:Good call out on the spacers, I will look into that. Headroom is actually ok but I can't stretch my legs out much or get knees under steering wheel. I've heard 911 seats can travel further back (T/F?). A mechanic I found recently removed 2 x 911 seats from an Elan (new owner 5' 6", previous owner 6' 7") He has since sold the seats but showed me the fabricated metal strips used to mount them. I just need to find some 911 seats. Has anyone on this forum done this swap? Shared their results?

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=80&t=26504
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby ATCO99 » Mon 05.11.2018, 12:11

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Interesting, the first one is not a FED/US version or someone has done a huge amount of work changing parts including the body.

To reply to specific posts, just click on the Quote button on the top right. It will open a reply window and quote the specific post you are replying to.

Good spot, you are correct, I'm a Brit now living in the US and the silver one is a UK spec 1990 H reg I owned while I still lived there.
ATCO99

Postby RonR » Mon 05.11.2018, 15:13

Welcome to the Forum,

JusNoGood wrote:I think it is RonR who has fitted 911 seats. Step by silky step I think is his thread title in projects. Very nice seats. I can’t remember him mentioning more space but you could ask him.

I just realised that info was a bit scarce so I've added some more detail on the Porsche seats installation to the end of my thread. The upshot is that I did get more legroom, but I'm not sure if my particular seat version (996) could be lowered enough for you if the gas strut is kept.

I'm sure someone on here fitted fully electric porsche seats a while ago.

Elanlover did it Here, but seemed to have a similar issue with height.
Rob P also did it Here
RonR
Enthusiast

Postby steve matthews » Tue 06.11.2018, 20:04

Welcome and enjoy :clap:
steve matthews
God

Postby ATCO99 » Wed 07.11.2018, 04:45

steve matthews wrote:Welcome and enjoy :clap:

Thanks Steve,

I was in your state in August on vacation. So many twisty roads and hills, especially skyline drive. Drivers dream. Shame I didn't have the Elan at that point. Less fun in a truck. J
ATCO99

Postby ATCO99 » Wed 07.11.2018, 04:48

RonR wrote:Welcome to the Forum,

JusNoGood wrote:I think it is RonR who has fitted 911 seats. Step by silky step I think is his thread title in projects. Very nice seats. I can’t remember him mentioning more space but you could ask him.

I just realised that info was a bit scarce so I've added some more detail on the Porsche seats installation to the end of my thread. The upshot is that I did get more legroom, but I'm not sure if my particular seat version (996) could be lowered enough for you if the gas strut is kept.

I'm sure someone on here fitted fully electric porsche seats a while ago.

Elanlover did it Here, but seemed to have a similar issue with height.
Rob P also did it Here

Thanks Ron,
I checked out the links, very helpful. If you say you got more leg room that's good enough for me. And you went for the manual 911 seats, not the electric, is that the way to go to get the most legroom without adding unwanted height? J
ATCO99

Postby ATCO99 » Wed 07.11.2018, 04:50

Rambo wrote:
ATCO99 wrote:Good call out on the spacers, I will look into that. Headroom is actually ok but I can't stretch my legs out much or get knees under steering wheel. I've heard 911 seats can travel further back (T/F?). A mechanic I found recently removed 2 x 911 seats from an Elan (new owner 5' 6", previous owner 6' 7") He has since sold the seats but showed me the fabricated metal strips used to mount them. I just need to find some 911 seats. Has anyone on this forum done this swap? Shared their results?

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=80&t=26504

Thanks Rambo,
Appreciate the link to the post. Wow, That was some list of items Ron took care of on his car. J
ATCO99

Return to New User Help with Postings and Extras