Boost Gauge Hose Disconnected.

Read here for help with getting started on postings.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Boost Gauge Hose Disconnected.

Postby ColinBruce » Sat 09.02.2019, 12:12

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the best way to get access to the boost gauge as it seems the hose has become disconnected. The gauge has stopped working and I can hear the whistle of air in the dashboard. The noise is only inside the car and not in the engine bay. I can't see where this is shown in the workshop manual. Please note I am not a mechanic so try not to get too technical!
Your assistance would be much appreciated.
If in doubt - drop it into third and hit the gas!
ColinBruce

Re: Boost Gauge Hose Disconnected.

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 09.02.2019, 15:19

The boost gauge is electrically operated, not via a hose. The likely problem is a poor earth connection, probably at the transducer. It's the orange thing under the bonnet, driver's (UK) side. See WSM electric section: Instruments page 24 of circuit diagrams.

Access to the gauge itself is via the removable panel on the top of the dashboard, but you probably don't need to do this if the problem is under the bonnet. Remember the boost only shows when driving, not when revving on the drive.

If there is a hissing noise from under the dash, then this is likely to be a vacuum hose for the heating/ventilation system. With the engine running and the fan on max, turn the air distribution knob to each position in turn, checking that the air flow does indeed go to where it should. Check 2: separately turn the hot/cold knob to check the flow changes temp. This works not by cutting off water from the heater matrix, but by re-directing airflow to the matrix or not. If either of these tests fail, then you will need to check the manual for the routing and location of all the vacuum hoses and reconnect as necessary. You will also need to be incredibly flexible with tiny hands and long fingers to do this!!!!

Hope this helps and good luck.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 09.02.2019, 15:22

Colin,

The boost guage is an electronic one on the Elan, so there is no physical hose near the dashboard........ unless the OE unit has been replaced with an aftermarket vacuum one.

The only hose connects the plennum chamber to the boost transducer on the right-hand inner wing, and then it is wires from there to the guage on the dash.

Could it be that the hose has come adrift in the engine bay and directed itself towards the bulkhead (hence why it can be heard inside the car)??? It is only a very short length of hose (about a foot).

Edit:- beaten to a reply whilst typing by the Birthday Boy :smt113 :smt113
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Fredjohn » Sat 09.02.2019, 16:05

dapinky wrote:Edit:- beaten to a reply whilst typing by the Birthday Boy :smt113 :smt113

Thanks Dave :D :D :cheers:
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Emira 2023
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc 2018
Rapido 746 2010
Lotus Evija Danish edition
Fredjohn
God

Postby ColinBruce » Sat 09.02.2019, 18:07

Hi Fredjohn & dapinky - thanks for your replies. I'll investigate this further tomorrow as its getting dark now and starting to rain. I'm over six foot with large hands so from what you've said I expect to lose some skin from my knuckles but thanks for the forewarning. I'll let you know what I discover.
ColinBruce

Postby ColinBruce » Sun 10.02.2019, 18:06

Hi guys,
You were both right in that the problem isn't with the boost gauge as I went for a short drive and it activates correctly when the car is driven.
The problem I have is a 'whistling'/'whooshing' noise from the centre of the dashboard that seems to vary with revs and also changes when the selector dial is turned for windscreen/dash/feet, etc.
I took the glovebox and radio out today to give me better access to the heating controls and I think I've discovered the problem. Having also removed the white plastic box that holds the heater controls I saw that the top fixing post that is meant to hold a screw for the rotary valve was broken. This allows the valve to pull itself apart when the dial is turned allowing a rush of air. The valve also looks in poor condition and I'm not certain that it would stop making a noise when clamped back in the right position.
The long and short of it is I need a a replacement white plastic box and I'd be as well replacing the rotary vacuum switching valve at the same time. I could also do with a couple of the tiny bulbs that light up the fog light switches as they have been needing replaced for a while and it makes sense to this while I have the car apart. Unfortunately I managed to break the left-hand vent above the radio trying to get it out so I could do with a replacement (or maybe a new pair so they both match).
Can anyone advise me the best place to go for these 4 items?
Thank you, Colin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColinBruce

Postby Rambo » Sun 10.02.2019, 18:17

I would give Steve Strange at DVB (Douglas Valley Breakers) a call
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 10.02.2019, 19:08

ColinBruce wrote:Hi guys,
The long and short of it is I need a a replacement white plastic box and I'd be as well replacing the rotary vacuum switching valve at the same time.
You will need to say if you have Air Conditioning or not as the controllers are different. I might have a controller but US postage is always a problem.
I could also do with a couple of the tiny bulbs that light up the fog light switches as they have been needing replaced for a while and it makes sense to this while I have the car apart.
The Wiki has the bulb numbers listed: http://wikilec.com/view/Light_bulbs
Unfortunately I managed to break the left-hand vent above the radio trying to get it out so I could do with a replacement (or maybe a new pair so they both match).
Wayne has NEW vents available for a good price. See: http://www.elanm100.com
Can anyone advise me the best place to go for these 4 items?
Thank you, Colin.
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby alan e » Sun 10.02.2019, 19:14

Rambo wrote:I would give Steve Strange at DVB (Douglas Valley Breakers) a call

But do let your bank know first :D .
[color=#FFBFFF]Black 1992 M100
2010 black evora
Austin 7 1932 box saloon
MG ZS EV
alan e
God

Postby ColinBruce » Tue 12.02.2019, 20:26

Thank you for your suggestions of places to try for the parts - all are now ordered. I think the skin on my knuckles should have about recovered before I start the re-assembly.
ColinBruce

Return to New User Help with Postings and Extras