Which mod is deleting my posts????

Read here for help with getting started on postings.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Which mod is deleting my posts????

Postby lotos » Thu 23.10.2008, 17:24

I've had a few posts deleted in the last 24 hours by a mysterious moderator.

Titles like: "PCE vs. de-stuffed Pre Cat" and "Exhaust options in the USA?"

What is going on?
Last edited by lotos on Thu 23.10.2008, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
lotos
God

Re: Which mod is deleting my posts????

Postby Sy V » Thu 23.10.2008, 17:31

No idea... ?

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby lotos » Thu 23.10.2008, 17:55

I know these political ramblings may be a little radical for this community... but :wink:
lotos
God

Postby Enright » Thu 23.10.2008, 18:05

Yep, that sounds about right.

I PM'd you after the initial onslaught and pointed you in the direction of the "please think twice before creating duplicate topics" post in the New User Help section.

The response I received was that it was a rookie mistake. Well apparently it wasn't. Both of the deleted posts were new threads starting duplicate topics that were being discussed elsewhere. Shipping of PCE's and exhausts to the US if I remember correctly, when exactly the same thing was being discussed in the Piper thread?

Now, do we carry this one on in public or consign it to oblivion too?
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby lotos » Thu 23.10.2008, 18:21

Regarding PCE vs. scooped-out Pre-cats, I'd love if you could direct me to that previous discussion, I couldn't find that specific question answered.

Regarding exhausts, I was asking if any exhausts were currently available in the USA, as Piper had just responded that they hadn't shipped to the US because shipping was astronomical. Seems like a valid question to ask, and others may be wondering the same thing.

Sheesh.

:roll:
lotos
God

Postby theelanman » Thu 23.10.2008, 18:26

I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby lotos » Thu 23.10.2008, 18:39

Thanks - Since my original post is gone, what I was asking is the difference in performance PCE versus just scooping the ceramic junk from your existing Pre-Cat.

And like I said, the Piper thread doesn't answer my exhaust q.
lotos
God

Postby theelanman » Thu 23.10.2008, 18:50

ah...ok got you now.....
so what I think Neil was getting at in that case is why not add these questions to the relevant threads....
certainly the piper thread has the guys from piper on it so they should be able to answer any questions you have....
regarding the PCE there are people on the existing thread whove done the upgrade and will also tell you the differences....

the thing about starting a duplicate thread is that the guys who are talking about it already cant be bothered reading a new one....so it'll give you better results (probably) by including yer question in the same thread......

or at least I think that was what Neil was trying to say.......

hope that helpful

cheers
G
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Enright » Thu 23.10.2008, 20:31

theelanman wrote:so what I think Neil was getting at in that case is why not add these questions to the relevant threads....

Precisely. :-D

Duplicate threads just dilute BOTH discussions and make searching for relevant information in the future a nightmare, which gives rise to even more duplicates. It's an ever INcreasing circle - I could easily point you towards websites that are now irretrievably difficult to find anything useful on, and are very poor and impersonal places to visit because of it.

Now that I have a little more time to reply properly regarding these particular deleted posts: I would suggest that once the first few Piper exhausts and PCE's have gone out and got rave reviews, it shouldn't be too difficult to drum up sufficient interest across the pond to justify a further group buy of say 5, and consolidate shipping.
Just because Piper haven't shipped to the US before doesn't mean that they won't.
But even IF they won't, then there are plenty of helpful souls over here who could be persuaded to forward a crate for distribution.
It's worth investigating further because the pound is at a 5 year low against the dollar, so that could massively offset any shipping costs.
And the threads to ask these questions in are even already in the right place - the group buy section.

Hope that helps. :D
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Doug » Thu 23.10.2008, 20:39

good of you to ask what happened to them, Randy. It's just that anymore we have enough help that we try to keep multiple threads on the same topic at the same time. Now I'm not familiar with those threads to say, but if you are asking something different about something on the same topic then I think a new thread is fine.

You could always start a new thread for "Randy's questions about his Elan" or something like that and then you have your own forum for asking things . . .
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 23.10.2008, 20:58

Peco have shipped exhausts to the US in the past. It would be worth talking to Algirdas as he has half a garage of stuff to ship over sometime next year (well I hope he is, because it's in half of my garage :D). He's recently boxed up and sent a gearbox from the UK and has experience of sending the odd bodyshell and chassis over the pond.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 23.10.2008, 20:59

Doug wrote:You could always start a new thread for "Randy's questions about his Elan"

.... or rename this one? :-D
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby lotos » Thu 23.10.2008, 21:56

I read the entire Piper thread, but thought it rude to discuss what OTHER exhausts might be available locally to Americans - in the Piper thread where they're drumming up sales.

I'll also briefly state that IMHO the massive multi-page threads aren't exactly user-friendly and easily searchable to find answers. Threads with a simple question and straightforward answers are most helpful to people doing searches and in similar situations. If the true goal is to make it easier to find information, posts exactly like the two that were deleted would have been helpful to others in my shoes.

This isn't that big a deal. I'm not new to forums. (I'm not even new to this forum.) I've been moderating half a dozen of them myself for many, many years.

Just lock this thread and let's move on.
lotos
God

Return to New User Help with Postings and Extras