New Member - Karen (Taunton)

Read here for help with getting started on postings.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Postby KarenK » Mon 23.03.2015, 21:28

Hello

I have just moved to Somerset, and have owned a 1993 Lotus Elan S2 for about 2 years. This is the first 'car group' I've joined (looking for car insurance planted the seed) and is there a meet planned please over the next few weeks? I am in my late 40's so if there is a meet up in place, I am hoping it is an evening or weekend one as I am still (unfortunately) in the land of the working.

Thanks all

Karen
KarenK

Re: New Member - Karen (Taunton)

Postby blacknight » Mon 23.03.2015, 21:47

Hi Karen

Welcome to LEC. I am sure many of the local members will be along shortly to say hi :poke:

Enjoy

Iain
Winter is the new summer...............best buy a hat!
blacknight
Fanatic

Location: Working on an Elan is like a box of chocolates........every one is a coffee cream!

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 23.03.2015, 21:56

KarenK wrote:Hello

I have just moved to Somerset, and have owned a 1993 Lotus Elan S2 for about 2 years. This is the first 'car group' I've joined (looking for car insurance planted the seed) and is there a meet planned please over the next few weeks? I am in my late 40's so if there is a meet up in place, I am hoping it is an evening or weekend one as I am still (unfortunately) in the land of the working.

Thanks all

Karen

Hi Karen
have a look in the "UK Regional Elan Meetings (Regular)" forum
I dont know where is somerset but for regional meetings you will find a few, if there is nothing in your area/county your more than welcome to organize something, if there are other members in the area (which i think i have seen at least another member in somerset as their location) they will let make themselves noted in the appropriate topic.

In the meanwhile welcome to the forum. :)
1991 elan se
1991 elan se project
91 MR2 Turbo (import) project
94 Celica GT4 (Import)
94 4Runner
98 Celica SR

too many projects. not enough sunny days :(
Tuga2112
God

Postby RayD » Mon 23.03.2015, 21:58

Welcome Karen,

If you haven't already sorted the insurance there is a thread on the subject here

Ray
RayD
Forum Member

Postby Rambo » Mon 23.03.2015, 22:21

Hi Karen - I think Dapinky (Dave Pink), Smiffy (Geoff Smith) et al .... might be your closest LEC contacts. I think they have regular runs and meetings in pubs. Have a trawl through this thread

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=8815

I'm sure Dave or Geoff will be along soon to point you in the right direction ;-)
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Tue 24.03.2015, 10:50

Rambo wrote:I'm sure Dave or Geoff will be along soon to point you in the right direction ;-)

Seeing as McAffro has mentioned me (Us?), I'd better say something.......

Firstly, hello and welcome to LEC - any answers you need are either on here somewhere, or it is no problem to just ask!

I am based up in W-s-M (a small town which used to be home to 9 elans, but that has now reduced to just 4 as i got rid of one, one went up to Preston (Rob.P), 2 were sold outside of LEC and one dissmantled for spares - of those 4, 2 are long-term SORN (Blacknight and 1 non-LEC owner), leaving just mine and Paul Fullers' to 'fly the flag'.

There are a few others South West(ish) of here, but no great concentration (Bath, Tiverton, Torquay [Clemo] - and Mike Pearce [MPx] is in East Somerset ), and no actual regular meets either for LEC or Club Lotus.

The nearest Club Lotus regular (monthly) meeting is the Avon branch, up at Tormarton, and LEC get-togethers tend to be a bit 'ad hoc' with 3 of us having a lunch time meal or an evening 'raid' on other regional meetings..... Pete and I try to get to a few of the West Midlands meetings (3rd Thursday evening of each month), and I even went to a Yorkshire Sunday Lunch at the end of last summer - Elans are too good to just sit around and do only a few miles!

My car is currently in the final stages of a (fairly major) restoration and I hope to be back on the road at Easter.

There are a plethora of local (well, somewhere in Somerset!) shows and events - Bath & West host a fair few each year, and many 'Village Shows' dotted around. Weston has a largish event over Easter weekend on the Beach Lawns, run by, and in aid of, the Sea Cadets (free to attend, but a man with a bucket will rattle it at you - £3 gets you a commemorative plaque) - if I'm up and running by then, I'll be there.

Also, Ronnie [up in Clevedon] brings hers out every so often, but not too regularly!

Logistics have (for the last 2 years) dictated that Geoff, Pete and myself meet at lunchtimes (better weather during the colder months) as we are all retired/semi-retired - I know we're far too young (at least in looks and attitude :D ) to believe that we're at that life stage, but that's just down to the good fortune of a Public Service pension at age 50! - but certainly wouldn't dismiss an evening if that would suit others (including yourself) better - Iain and Paul still work and it might encourage them to come out to play as well.

That's the basic introduction, and as for Insuarnce, as Ray has pointed out, there are many different thoughts on the other thread, and it seems to come down to what you want/expect and are prepared to pay.

At your age (no offence intended :shock: :oops: ) you are eligible for a Classic policy, if that suits your needs - some with restricted mileage, others with unlimited. I am a great advocate of Peter James Insurance as their prices are fair, and their Customer Service is excellent (in the event of a claim, which is when you need it!).... but others will equally recomend whoever has given them a good price or service (or both).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby epipete » Tue 24.03.2015, 12:31

Welcome Karen

The situation re regular meets is as Dave advises above, furthermore there is a forthcoming Lotus Track day event at Castle Combe to which a few folks turn up. A search on Castle combe should reveal all.

My 'In laws' are based just outside Taunton so I am frequently down that way so, whilst I'm no expert, shout if you need any hands on help (I can always delegate to Dave 8) )

Rambo wrote:Hi Karen - I think Dapinky (Dave Pink), Smiffy (Geoff Smith) et al .... might be your closest LEC contacts. I think they have regular runs and meetings in pubs. Have a trawl through this thread

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=8815

I'm sure Dave or Geoff will be along soon to point you in the right direction ;-)

Obviously Rambo hasn't looked at this thread for a while, or he wouldn't direct anyone to review it, given that it is likely to put anybody off, but don't be; despite all it suggests Dave, myself and (I have it on good authority) Geoff are all really upstanding pillars of the society.

Enjoy your new car :burnout:
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby Artaban » Tue 24.03.2015, 15:07

Hello Karen,
Whilst I no longer live in the South West (and really miss it) I used to travel to Taunton quite regularly and loved to blast up through the windy roads toward Dunkersewell Airport; where they do skydiving and aerobatic training if you fancy it. I think the road goes south out through Trull and up Blagdon Hill and it was perfect for the Elan with some great windy bends and no speed cameras. You've also got SJ's less than an hour away in Crediton and a great road to drive to it if you avoid the motorway. I first new Steve when he and Jayne (where the 'J" comes from in SJ's) left the Exeter dealership to set up on their own. He serviced all my Lotuses since then and did a lot of work on my current Elan. Knows his stuff and you'll get a completely bull*hit free and expert opinion on anything Lotus. Whilst he is more on the parts side now he still overseas the service/repair work and gets his hands dirty occasionally. If you want a longer drive its straight down the M5/A30 to South West Lotus. Take you about 1 1/4 hours to get there. They have been helpful for a lot of difficult to get bits and having built an M100 from the ground up with all new parts they know them inside out. SWL have an annual open day where a lot of owners come from miles around so its a good place to meet others that may not be on this forum.
I know Steve services a few Elans so I'm sure there are owners down there somewhere. Best of luck in the new area and be careful of the local cider, it may look weak but you'll be paralysed before you see the bottom of the glass.
:cheers:
Andy
My wife's just divorced me because I wouldn't open the car door for her!
To be fair I panicked and swam straight for the surface.
Artaban
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Tue 24.03.2015, 20:29

I am not nearly close by, but welcome aboard anyway! :D
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 24.03.2015, 20:45

Welcome to LEC: lots of useful info and help available.

The SW members (Dapinky, epipete and Geoff) are renowned for hijacking other areas' meetings and claiming them as their own. I have no problem with this, others do!!! :lol: :lol:

They very often find their way to the Midlands meet: you are very welcome to come along too if you feel a trip up the M5 isn't too much. As someone suggested check out the UK regional events pages.

The annual Castle Coombe event (a Club Lotus do) is always well attended, weather permitting, and would be a good choice as a local meet... provided the SW bunch (aka Bollecks...sorry) go too.

Enjoy your car.....we all do (well enjoy our own that is!)

:burnout: :burnout:
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby epipete » Tue 24.03.2015, 21:11

Fredjohn wrote:The SW members (Dapinky, epipete and Geoff) are renowned for hijacking other areas' meetings and claiming them as their own. I have no problem with this, others do!!! :lol: :lol:

Who? Name names John :-D :D
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Postby texas2201 » Wed 25.03.2015, 17:54

Welcome Karen no where near you (Berkshire) and we have a meet in Hampshire every month (still no where near you)

However, I have just renewed my insurance with Classicline and Equity Red Star as the Insurer - classic policy with 5000 miles, legal, agreed valuation of £9500 and track days are covered as long as it is a bona fida ATDO member. £208 - excess is only £100

Martin
http://www.extremepetrolhead.blogspot.com/

"brakes are no good - they just slow you down" Fangio :-)
texas2201
God

Postby GeoffSmith » Wed 25.03.2015, 18:49

Welcome Karen. Despite what others have said, I can assure you that I really am a pillock of society.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby MPx » Fri 27.03.2015, 11:41

Hi Karen

I'm actually at Cricket St Thomas so South rather than East Somerset ( :poke: Pinky) and just 20 mins or so from Taunton. Our Elan has been SORN for a couple of years now, so I've obviously not been as busy with it as I used to be. Most of the local stuff has been described but one good one near to you is the Thornfalcon Classic that is usually held in late summer. http://www.thornfalconclassics.com/event.aspx. Usually get a few hundred classics along to that.

Some good events for you to consider
TLF Lotus Day at Mercedes Benz World 10 May
Club Lotus at Castle Combe 23 May
Lotus Festival at Brands Hatch 15/16 Aug

Enjoy the car....
Mike
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Fri 27.03.2015, 11:50

Sorry for the geographical error - my bad :oops:

(but in my defence, your honour - It is in the Policing District of East Somerset - there is no South Somerset)
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby tigerdog » Sat 28.03.2015, 00:29

Welcome to LEC!!! I'm a bit further south and west than you, so not likely to meet up anytime soon. You'll find us a good natured lot and a surprising source of useful information, this thread notwithstanding.
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby KarenK » Sun 01.05.2016, 14:07

Belatedly and this feels awkward as 1 year, and 6 weeks later but thank you for all the wonderful welcomes and information.
KarenK

Postby John_W » Sun 01.05.2016, 19:46

Where you been, then?
John :mrgreen:
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Sport Paolo » Sun 01.05.2016, 21:14

She'll let you know in June next year.
:-D
Sport Paolo