ronjr pictures - a newbie and an oldie both at the same time

Share your pictures!

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

ronjr pictures - a newbie and an oldie both at the same time

Postby John_W » Thu 09.04.2009, 20:18

Here is a cracking set of pictures from LEC member ronjr. He's currently suffering from being on the Spamhaus blacklist referred to by Ailwyn on another thread, so I'm posting these for him in time for Donington, where some of you will meet him along with his wife and daughter. Ron is a true gent who used to live near BigErch and whom we first met at a very rainy Callendar Classic the year Andrew Ennis won "Best Lotus".

As you can see from the photos, you should be able to recognise the two Elans without trouble. However Ron has set a puzzle for you. See how many of you can recognise him and his wife at the Curry night, the Navigation Inn and the Convoy from the the pictures of his 1960's Elans.

Here's some text and pictures from Ron. This is his first Donington, and I'm sure you'll all make him feel welcome.
First 5 pictures are of my 2 x M100 as at 6th April 2009, from my driveway.

The last 2 pictures are from 40 years ago of my SE Elan (1966) and my +2 (1969) taken on a Winter’s day on Edinburgh observatory hill. The observant among you will notice the number on each plate is the same. The two people in the photograph you will not recognise now when they appear before you at Donington.

On the morning of Friday 17th April, we have an appointment at Hethel, before coming on to Castle Donington. My last visit there was when Colin Chapman and Jim Clark were alive. Anybody who wishes to hear more can do so when we meet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Re: ronjr pictures - a newbie and an oldie both at the same time

Postby theelanman » Thu 09.04.2009, 20:37

Im guessing he'll be the one in the chelsea shirt...either that or all blue or all yellow.....
maybe him in blue and her in yellow...........reminds me of my wedding day (my uncle is a big chelsea fan and were playing in the cup final, yes I got married on cup final day....anyway....he had a blue suit with yellow shirt......my autie came with a yellow 'suit' with blue hat.....and he was plugged into the pocket radio all the way throught the service)

Im guessing that the +0 and +2 have 'moved on'.....

I do like the way hes continued the yellow and blue theme through all the lotus ownership.....
blue and yellow then.....blue and yellow now......:)....cool
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 09.04.2009, 21:06

I'm guessing that the yellow one is his daughter's S2 Gareth. Anyway, what's with the number plate cloning Ron? :lol:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Nige » Thu 09.04.2009, 21:16

Cracking Photos. Look forward to seeing you at Donington Ron, although I make no guarantees of passing the recognition test.

If you were at Hethekl when both Colin Chapman and Jim Clark were alive that places it in the latter half of 1967 or early 1968?

41 years ago last Tuesday since Jim died at Hockenheim, RIP my boyhood hero.
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby John_W » Fri 10.04.2009, 12:54

Reply from the still-Spamhause-afflicted Ron:
A quick bit more info for those who have shown interest.
Last time at Hethel was 1967

Why 2 x RJR 23 - in process of transferring plate. Out of a job after 15th Feb 1971, had to sell the cars. Went to work in Trinidad and Tobago where daughter was born.

Both M100s are mine at present. With Scottish canniness, daughter will inherit LJR - and won't have to spend money on a new personalised plate.

The 1966 Elan SE is not blue but Rolls Royce silver with a black roof. The red fluorescent front bumper was so that on-coming traffic could see me coming as had 2 prangs - it was an age thing of going too fast then.

I visited Ian Scott Watson last year in Duns. He gave Jimmy Clark his own Elite to start his racing career. Many pictures of both of them in the J.C. museum in Duns.

Over and out for now

Ron
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Sy V » Fri 10.04.2009, 13:01

Never having met Ron but having exchanged e-mails and letters, we know each other well enough for me to get away with saying "if he wears that tweed we won't have any problem spotting him!".

What is it with Lotus-owners' dress sense? :wink:

Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, sounds caress my ears but not a word I heard could I relay, the story was quite clear - Robert Plant

In Respectful Memory - 21st March 1959 - 14th February 2016
Sy V
LEC Godfather

Postby Doug » Sat 11.04.2009, 04:37

Fantastic looking cars there, Ron! Two Elans, both with hardtops; can't get much better than that.

What happened to the original Elans ??
Doug
LEC Founder

Postby ronjr » Fri 24.04.2009, 16:25

This is only a test to see if I can get past Spamhaus
ronjr

Postby Nige » Fri 24.04.2009, 18:09

Looks like you can Ron!
Back in Blighty
Nige
LEC Administrator

Postby Ekapol » Sat 25.04.2009, 06:13

Beautiful cars you have Ron. I love it that you keep both cars pretty much the same theme with matching wheels, interior trims, etc. :smt023
"Do or do not.... there is no try."

“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.” -- Yoda
Ekapol
God

Postby ShaunM » Thu 30.04.2009, 18:58

Jackie and I had the pleasure of sitting with Ron, his wife, daughter and her husband at the curry on the friday night. What a wonderful family - laughed lots and some great stories shared. :D
------------------------------------------
Dr Shaun Marrison
Managing Director
Google Adwords Experts www.internetadvertisingsolutions.co.uk
ShaunM
Fanatic

Return to Picture Gallery