M100 new colour coated

Share your pictures!

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

M100 new colour coated

Postby HenriElan » Sun 08.03.2015, 00:12

The lacquer of my BRG colour Elan was poor on several spots so I decided to have my car completely new coated. I did many repairs as placing new weather seals on the doors, new butterfly clips and replacing the plastic window glider holders by bronze ones (made by a M100 friend), new speakers etc. I will show later more details and the typical problems I was confronted with dismantling and rebuilding the doors especially. Several photos are attached to show the progress I made so far. Refitting the replacing of the windows gave more trouble than expected; the lining out of the gliding rails and the positioning of the window stoppers on top of the door are crucial for getting the window up and down properly but also closing to the seals. Today my Elan was finished and cleaned to driver her home. See the result though it was cloudy today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HenriElan on Mon 23.03.2015, 13:13, edited 7 times in total.
HenriElan

Re: M100 new colour coated

Postby lotos » Sun 08.03.2015, 00:44

Looks great! Well done. :clap:
lotos
God

Postby HenriElan » Mon 09.03.2015, 23:23

lotos wrote:Looks great! Well done. :clap:

Thanks although it is a tough job but I learn so much about the car under way!
HenriElan

Postby DeanG » Sat 14.03.2015, 18:28

Hero type work! Good job.
DeanG
God

Postby TrevorB » Sat 14.03.2015, 20:52

Hi Henri, you did say that you were going to do this when we were over for the 25th anniversary. Looking a lot better, hope to see it, and you, in
the flesh at Brands Hatch later in the year.

Trevor
Silk Red SE Turbo
Short shift conversion
HiSpec's
Piper Exhaust
TrevorB
Fanatic

Postby HenriElan » Fri 20.03.2015, 22:15

TrevorB wrote:Hi Henri, you did say that you were going to do this when we were over for the 25th anniversary. Looking a lot better, hope to see it, and you, in
the flesh at Brands Hatch later in the year.

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

Yes indeed the Elan is looking much better now and the strange relief from the fibreglass structure in de bonnet is totally flattened out and also the hood cover is brilliant now. I look forward to drive her to Brands Hatch again this summer and I hope to meet you again there. My friend Hans Mulder will drive along with his very nice French Blue M100 S2. Say hello to your wife.

Henri
HenriElan

Postby Mike Kimberley » Mon 23.03.2015, 16:22

The car looks stunning now Henri-look forward to seeing all the photo's. In respect to the window mechanism, are the branded parts out of stock?.
Good idea to use the alternative materials but would like to check the durability-probably very good-do other owners use the same parts successfully?.

Look forward to seeing your very professionally and well refurbished M100 when you visit soon Henri. Will be talking to James Page, Editor of Classic & Sports Car about it on Wednesday.

Keep the Elan flag flying guys.

MJK
Mike Kimberley
Mr. Lotus

Postby HJ2 » Mon 23.03.2015, 19:26

Hohoooo!

The great mr. Kimberely himself on the forum!
Good to have you aboard :D

Too bad you could not make it to the Netherlands last year, i hope health is a lot better now!
Henri, looking forward to see your car irl as well.

If i recall right, the brass window parts are an home made alternative for the plastic ones that become brittle over the years and start to wear out.
here are at least 4 cars driving around with those parts, but Henri can tell you all about it :-)

I did not hear that OEM parts are no longer available, but the brass ones look like they will out-age the car.

Here's to another 25 years of M100 motoring! :cheers:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby HenriElan » Mon 23.03.2015, 22:26

Mike Kimberley wrote:The car looks stunning now Henri-look forward to seeing all the photo's. In respect to the window mechanism, are the branded parts out of stock?.
Good idea to use the alternative materials but would like to check the durability-probably very good-do other owners use the same parts successfully?.

Look forward to seeing your very professionally and well refurbished M100 when you visit soon Henri. Will be talking to James Page, Editor of Classic & Sports Car about it on Wednesday.

Keep the Elan flag flying guys.

MJK

Hi Mike,

Yes the Elan is very professionally resprayed by Jack Stijvers in Holland. Even the former owner of my car Julie Thomas from Luxembourg (the first sold M100 in 1991 in Luxembourg) is charmed by the look of my Elan now. Good to see you finally at LEC after so many attempts but Geoff did a good job for you. Henk-Jan Siemer (with most expertise on the M100 in Holland) answered you about the plastic pillars for the window gliders and indeed the bronze ones are better finally. I hope you will enjoy all the news about your Elan M100 and the loving care of so many owners. The number of new owners is still growing. In fact Peter Stevens should register himself as well on LEC don't you think? I will ask him and hopefully he will join this interesting LEC.
HenriElan

Postby tigerdog » Tue 24.03.2015, 01:28

Car looks fabulous! To have drawn a compliment from Mr. Kimberley himself is high praise indeed! And welcome to our humble home on the web, MJK!
"Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal, but you swear in different places."
tigerdog
God

Postby HJ2 » Tue 24.03.2015, 20:33

Dunno if I have the most expertise in NL (...yet, but i'm working on it!) and all the knowledge comes mainly from this forum anyway, so all credits to this forum Henri, but i am flattered :oops:

So.. Who says that knowledge does not come from books is right... it comes from LEC! :burnout:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby HenriElan » Thu 26.03.2015, 00:17

You are very right that we get all the knowledge and experience from the LEC Forum, but no doubt that your experienced contribution from Holland is very valuable too and certainly all your practical help and support so keep going!
HenriElan

Return to Picture Gallery