A Wrinkly Rocker in an Elan, and its not Ronnie Wood...

Share your pictures!

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

A Wrinkly Rocker in an Elan, and its not Ronnie Wood...

Postby Jamie N » Sat 04.04.2015, 21:16

:D , Well its actually a totally different type of Wrinkly Rocker altogether :-D . Anyway, I just replaced my head gasket, which wasn't showing any signs of leaking but I knew it had never been changed in the lifetime of the car so I thought I would hit it with a pre-emptive strike and just do it now, I got the gasket from Murray Lotus in Edinburgh and fitted it earlier in the week, but whilst I had the access I decided to do a few other jobs, replaced a multitude of nuts and bolts with fresh new ones and cleaned all the awkward to reach bits, I also removed a fair bit of weight by taking off, and/or modifying bits that are not really needed, like the engine hoisting brackets (if I ever need to remove the engine I can bolt them back on), also hid all the unused wiring connectors and just generally made everything as clean and tidy as possible, the downside of making it so clean is I am even more reluctant to take it out on dirty roads :lol: but I will!.

My Rocker Cover wasn't in bad condition but it wasn't perfect either so I thought it was time to redo it, I used VHT Red Wrinkle paint, it looks a lot better in reality than the picture but it gives you an idea, it certainly looks fresher than Ronnie Wood :P .

Whilst the head was off I had a closer look at the possibilities of fitting a B18 Type R engine in there, I came to the conclusion that it would be VERY difficult,maybe not impossible but there would be several major hurdles, one of the biggest would be the shift linkage, on the Honda it is two solid rods from the gear stick to the box, I tried offering them up to the underside of the car in the rough position they need to be and there is no space for them whatsoever, and I couldn't see a way round it, so that in itself virtually rules it out.

However, I had an EP3 Civic Type R (2.0) here whilst doing the head and had a good look at that possibility, it looks almost dead certain that it would go in fairly easily,the dimensions of the engine fit, the orientation is the same as the Lotus (engine on the right), although the exhaust manifold is at the back there is room for it, or a custom made one to fit, heat may be an issue?. The other good thing is it has gear cables. Obviously there would be a mountain of other considerations, but provisionally the K20 looks like a goer, a fantastic VTEC engine with massive tuning potential and a proven engine in the conversions world including many Lotus Elises . If I ever find an Elan with a totally blown engine I would definitely attempt to put a K20 in it.

No Air Filter on it in the pic. All unnecessary wiring and clutter removed from both inner clam sides.
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Re: A Wrinkly Rocker in an Elan, and its not Ronnie Wood...

Postby par » Sun 05.04.2015, 00:11

Wow Jamie! That is clean :clap:

If you half shut your eyes from a distance it looks similar to a K20 with the red rocker cover and black plug cover. Save yourself the time and effort and smear vaseline on the lenses of a pair of glasses instead - just remember to remove them while driving!
par
Fanatic

Postby Scott J » Sun 05.04.2015, 10:28

Excellent work Jamie. Come along to Bo'ness on Wed night and show us all. No point in having a garage queen. I was in Kenny Browns last week getting Mazda dropped 30mm and geo set up. He had an Exige in with a turbocharged Honda VTEC engine in it doing 450 BHP. The car holds some sort of lap record at Brands Hatch. white car with lime alloys so instantly recognisable.
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
Hairdresser

Postby HJ2 » Sun 05.04.2015, 11:03

Excellent result Jamie, looks really clean!
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby maz_r » Sun 05.04.2015, 11:12

:agree:

Looks too good to use!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary.....
maz_r
Binary Bodger

Postby muley » Sun 05.04.2015, 22:37

Looks really good. Must have a go at mine..

Jim
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)
muley

Postby Jamie N » Mon 06.04.2015, 13:12

par wrote:If you half shut your eyes from a distance it looks similar to a K20 with the red rocker cover and black plug cover. Save yourself the time and effort and smear vaseline on the lenses of a pair of glasses instead - just remember to remove them while driving!

Such a great idea Steven!, I thought of another modification to compliment it, I could have a trip switch connected to the Rev counter which activates power to the CD player when it hits 5400RPM, this would immediately switch on a high quality recording of V-TEC engaging and going through the gears, this would in turn be wired to top spec Bose speakers mounted on the firewall and above the back box giving that unmistakable heavenly sound. Job done!. :P
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby par » Mon 06.04.2015, 17:01

Jamie N wrote:
par wrote:If you half shut your eyes from a distance it looks similar to a K20 with the red rocker cover and black plug cover. Save yourself the time and effort and smear vaseline on the lenses of a pair of glasses instead - just remember to remove them while driving!

Such a great idea Steven!, I thought of another modification to compliment it, I could have a trip switch connected to the Rev counter which activates power to the CD player when it hits 5400RPM, this would immediately switch on a high quality recording of V-TEC engaging and going through the gears, this would in turn be wired to top spec Bose speakers mounted on the firewall and above the back box giving that unmistakable heavenly sound. Job done!. :P

If you buy a genuine Spoon ECU from Ebay you can have the VTEC effect cutting in at 4000RPM :shock:
par
Fanatic

Postby HJ2 » Tue 07.04.2015, 20:03

So... Jamie... Please do tell me... Are your wrinckles oil-proof? :burnout:
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
God

Postby Jamie N » Tue 07.04.2015, 21:08

HJ2 wrote:So... Jamie... Please do tell me... Are your wrinckles oil-proof? :burnout:

Absolutely H-J !, Only just tonight I tested its effectiveness, seeing as its so clean you could eat you're dinner off it I decided I would do just that, I had a lovely Sea Bass with Potatoes and Garlic and slathered it with a half litre of the freshest Olive oil, I can assure you not one drip of it got past those crimson wrinkles :P .

(And anyone reading that will now have the conclusive proof that this Guy is "Off" his Rocker.. :lol:
Jamie N
Seal Wrangler

Postby Doug » Wed 08.04.2015, 06:41

Jamie, Elan looks lovely.

Now, if you really had the time to shoehorn a honda in there and somehow get it low enough to clear the frame below and bonnet above, then surely you will have more fun and spend less time building up the Elan engine and uprating the turbo.
Doug
LEC Founder

Return to Picture Gallery