Help identifying this rare model

Share your pictures!

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Help identifying this rare model

Postby pineapplecharm » Mon 20.04.2015, 16:34

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can figure out exactly which model this might be?

It looks a lot like a flatter edition of the original Elan but it was an H reg which puts it squarely in the M100 era. I'd know that logo anywhere but somehow the car doesn't quite look right. Some kind of prototype perhaps?
pineapplecharm

Re: Help identifying this rare model

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 20.04.2015, 16:53

IMHO and looking at the hood folding arrangement, the door handles and screen/doors I'd say it's an early MX5.

Someone has tarted it up to look like a Lotus. Don't forget that Mazda bought, stripped down and copied the original Elan when they developed the MX5, which is why it looks so like the old Elan!!!

EDIT ADD: further confirmed by the fact that the word Eunos on the "Lotus" badge is another name for the Miata aka MX5. Following is a quote from Wikipedia:

In Japan, the car was not badged as a Mazda, as the company was experimenting with the creation of different marques for deluxe models, similar to Nissan's Infiniti and Toyota's Lexus (both brands of which launched at the same time as the Miata). Instead, the Mazda MX-5 was sold as the Eunos Roadster in Japan, and was joined by the MX-3/AZ-3/Eunos Presso (based on Japanese Mazda dealerships).
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Fredjohn
God

Postby pineapplecharm » Mon 20.04.2015, 19:22

Good spot, the badge does say Eunos and it did say "Mazda" on the back but I'm assuming that was just a stupid after-market addition. Eunos begins with E so I'm pretty sure it's just a lesser-known Lotus model.

It also had a sticker saying "Le Mans 2012" so maybe it's a racing prototype?

The car was not much of a looker next to my Elan I have to say. Although I quite like the matt finish and 'earthy' flip in the paintwork.
pineapplecharm

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.04.2015, 20:25

You're correct Fredjohn. It is definitely a Mazda MX-5 Eunos that some saddo has tarted up to look like a Lotus Elan FFS :shock: Another giveaway that it is a Jap import is the front indicator lights in the bumper ;-)
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby chris.t » Mon 20.04.2015, 20:29

Rambo wrote:You're correct Fredjohn. It is definitely a Mazda MX-5 Eunos that some saddo has tarted up to look like a Lotus Elan FFS :shock: Another giveaway that it is a Jap import is the front indicator lights in the bumper ;-)

Greatest form of flattery some say
Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Postby muley » Mon 20.04.2015, 20:51

pineapplecharm wrote:Eunos begins with E so I'm pretty sure it's just a lesser-known Lotus model.

OK, I'll bite - it is an MX-5 with Lotus-style badges. :bonk:

The fact that Eunos and Lotus models start with an E is a co-incidence. MX-5 was sold as a Eunos in Japan, Here's one that was exported to NZ

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 236708.htm

Over 400,000 built so hardly a 'prototype'

Jim

p.s. Yes, I know - I should get out more. Probably will.
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)
muley

Postby GeoffSmith » Mon 20.04.2015, 21:07

pineapplecharm wrote:Some kind of prototype perhaps?

Scott's latest car customisation project?
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces @ £50 incl. P&P UK
http://ElanScanInterfaces.onmypc.net
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby muley » Mon 20.04.2015, 21:22

GeoffSmith wrote:

Be cheaper to buy a whole car - you can get them for less than a grand ;)
"You can take the man out of the Elan, but you can't take the Elan out of the man!"
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)
muley

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.04.2015, 21:39

GeoffSmith wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PS I quite like those early MX-5's with the pop ups ;-) but not tarted up like this one :cry:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby lotusflasherman » Mon 20.04.2015, 21:58

pineapplecharm wrote:Good spot, the badge does say Eunos and it did say "Mazda" on the back but I'm assuming that was just a stupid after-market addition. Eunos begins with E so I'm pretty sure it's just a lesser-known Lotus model.

It also had a sticker saying "Le Mans 2012" so maybe it's a racing prototype?

The car was not much of a looker next to my Elan I have to say. Although I quite like the matt finish and 'earthy' flip in the paintwork.

Oh No... :banghead: I'm pretty sure its not a Lotus!

To all the Mazda MX5 posts ... :agree:

That logo I've never seen before. I'm on my 6th Lotus, started with a Lotus 6 in 1969 and have continuously owned a Lotus of some description since 1986 so have seen Lotus badges quite a lot. The really big clue is they only ever say LOTUS and have ACBC intertwined (for Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman). That logo is in the style of Lotus but clearly not Lotus.

As for a 'racing protype' - nobody would race a mess like that - look at the poor fit of the headlamp panels and bonnet - all that turbulence = lots of drag drag drag. I wouldn't even drive it on the road like that!
The Le Mans sticker probably just shows the owner was a spectator.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a 'lesser-known Lotus model', too many books document every model made, perhaps excluding of a few one off prototypes that were fibreglass design exercises they wished to forget but a lot of people on here probably know about them too...

Phil
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby pineapplecharm » Tue 21.04.2015, 11:31

Okay, okay; I'm sorry - this was a joke that got out of control! I spotted the MX-5 belting around Shaftesbury at the weekend and I thought it might give you all good laugh... but I guess enough stupid questions get asked on the Internet that it seemed like a credible inquiry. :oops:

My brother had an MX-5 and they're not bad to drive at all.. but they certainly aren't in the same league as a Lotus, green-and-yellow stickers or not.

Thanks for all the helpful posts though; I feel pretty bad about myself! You chaps are excellent fellows and I beg for your forgiveness. :bowdown:
pineapplecharm

Postby muley » Tue 21.04.2015, 12:18

It's good to know you are 'quite' normal. Thank goodness. Oh, and have a :lol: from me

Jim
1995 Red S2 number 750
"LEC turbo nutter" ;)
muley

Postby lotusflasherman » Tue 21.04.2015, 13:45

pineapplecharm wrote:Okay, okay; I'm sorry - this was a joke that got out of control! I spotted the MX-5 belting around Shaftesbury at the weekend and I thought it might give you all good laugh... but I guess enough stupid questions get asked on the Internet that it seemed like a credible inquiry. :oops:

My brother had an MX-5 and they're not bad to drive at all.. but they certainly aren't in the same league as a Lotus, green-and-yellow stickers or not.

Thanks for all the helpful posts though; I feel pretty bad about myself! You chaps are excellent fellows and I beg for your forgiveness. :bowdown:

Ha ha... Good joke :clap:

I couldn't believe a Lotus owner could be so ignorant of Lotus - you certainly brought out the Grumpy Old Man in me, which my family tell me isn't difficult these days!
What I posted was tame compared to some things I wrote but deleted...

Full marks for a good wind-up..

Now, somebody please tell me those side exhausts on that Volcano Orange Elan have been only been photoshopped on... please, pretty please. That's so wrong I feel GOM coming out.

Phil
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby pineapplecharm » Tue 21.04.2015, 14:25

lotusflasherman wrote:I couldn't believe a Lotus owner could be so ignorant of Lotus

Yeah, don't get too excited. I've been an Elan fan since I was ten and was lecturing my self-confessed car-ignoramus girlfriend about the brand when she asked if all the model names start with 'E'. Twenty five years, from Esprit to Evora and I literally hadn't noticed. So maybe I deserve a little GOM!
lotusflasherman wrote:Now, somebody please tell me those side exhausts on that Volcano Orange Elan have been only been photoshopped on... please, pretty please. That's so wrong I feel GOM coming out.

Ha ha those were AMAZING! Dangerous, injurious, impractical, hard work and FANTASTIC. Just like everything else good from the eighties. :lol:
pineapplecharm

Postby epipete » Wed 22.04.2015, 10:48

pineapplecharm wrote:Yeah, don't get too excited. I've been an Elan fan since I was ten and was lecturing my self-confessed car-ignoramus girlfriend about the brand when she asked if all the model names start with 'E'. Twenty five years, from Esprit to Evora and I literally hadn't noticed. So maybe I deserve a little GOM!

This comment is the best example of 'snatching defeat from the jaws of certain victory' I've come across recently :shock: prior to this your rehabilitation was almost assured :lol:
You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know. ... Oscar Wilde
epipete
God

Return to Picture Gallery