Insurance (uk)

For help finding/discussion about good insurance rates.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby simonbuk » Mon 07.05.2018, 14:19

What's the 'spares' ?

You get cover for any spares you have in the garage ?
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby clemo » Mon 07.05.2018, 16:09

simonbuk wrote:What's the 'spares' ?

Correct spares connected to any car ( not just elan) and covers any spares in the boot.
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Postby Saltire » Mon 07.05.2018, 16:27

Interesting stuff, Clemo. Sounds like I should try FJ next year - that’s a big discount for CL membership.

FWIW, I paid Adrian Flux £260 and change for a 1995 S2, 5,000 Miles SDP, rural Wiltshire, garaged, insured and spouse (both in 60s), including breakdown, legal, comp cover up to £20K to drive any other car, no mods declared. I got an introductory discount because I have a full (15+ years) NCD on two other cars. Salvage retention included, agreed value will be £15 extra when I send in the pictures.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby dapinky » Mon 07.05.2018, 17:12

I've been extolling the virtues of FJ for the past 3 years - they also give me a good discount for having the Triumph with them on the same policy (as I can only drive one at a time)..... albeit that it is currently on an 'off-the-road' cover with another company for about £40.

I don't know what they are like in event of a claim, but from the service I receive when I speak to them at renewal time I don't expect any issues at all (with agreed value they either mend it or give me the cash + whatever is left of the car).

simonbuk wrote:What's the 'spares' ?

The nice thing is that you can cover whatver value of 'spares' you wish (at incremental premium increases), and add a lot of other 'add-ons' depending on personal needs.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby daveiow » Mon 07.05.2018, 18:34

Just had my renewal from Carole Nash arrive-
Used to be with Zenith now with Highway (-LV)
Comprehensive, European Cover, £100 excess £75 windshield excess £8k valuation
£173 down from £281 :D
"live long and prosper"
Calypso Red 91se. Hispecs,PNM rear calipers,Samco's & BCN cables & SSK so far!(oh and a new hood and paint) sold
Evora n/a
Alfa Sud 1.5ti long gone!
daveiow
Fanatic

Postby simonbuk » Mon 07.05.2018, 18:59

Strange how prices seem to have gone down on cars like our but price increases have been reported on normal cars.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Re: Flux Direct

Postby Kathryn » Mon 07.05.2018, 19:31

Saltire wrote:
Customer service? Could do better!

I’ve always found their customer service excellent. You’re not on hold for ages waiting to talk to someone either (at least I haven’t been) I suppose it depends who you get at the end of the phone! Spoke to three people this time, all friendly and helpful. The last guy mentioned they are just up the road from the Lotus factory, I said I’d like to visit it and he told me to pop in for a cup of tea! :lol:
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby clemo » Mon 07.05.2018, 19:33

I could have saved a fair more if i didn't want the bolt ons But the agreed buy back value put many of the main companies out the picture.
I have just spent a blinking fortune on my elan. If someone bumps it up the rear and it gets written off for the lack of new lights available i want it back . I also want it back without having to pay the salvage price to get it back.

In simple terms . Car gets whacked up the rear. Gets written off i get the car back and £15,000 no deduction.

And at £15,000 she agreed that this is within the "without question" bracket . If i said it was £25,000 they may have asked why i thought the number was that high. Though nut and bolt rebuild with chassis off restoration was noted so if the value increase over the years such as the esprit did then i will have a higher % due to this.

Ps i have no wish for my car to be bumped i want to actually enjoy driving the thing !
Jim Clark S2 - 1/12. The one with the Yellow spoke wheels . No 613 on dash (pushed in to factory in wrong order 615 on tub)
clemo
LEC Administrator

Re: Flux Direct

Postby Saltire » Tue 08.05.2018, 08:25

Yes, I knew they were in Norfolk. The guy I spoke to sounded really bored and was very salesy: “buy now, immediately, or the price goes up £50”; “have you finished asking questions yet, or can I take your card number”. And so on. He may have been a trainee, because he seemed to need to go off and ask someone else every five minutes, so I’ll forgive him. But he didn’t give me a nice warm feeling that they’d look after me in the event of a claim. Time will tell (not that I’m planning a claim, you understand) :)
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2, BRG
Mrs Saltire’s 2022 Mini Countryman Cooper S
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby JusNoGood » Sat 12.01.2019, 12:09

I've just switched from FJ to Flux.

FJ renewal =was £220 (with Salvage, £50 xs, Europoean cover, no courtesy car, Agreed value). £20 up from last year :roll:

Flux came back with £171 (£250 xs but with courtesy car, Salvage, Agreed value)

I'll have to check through the pdf when it arrives to make sure its equal.

Edited: Got the cost wrong.
Last edited by JusNoGood on Sun 13.01.2019, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby lotusles » Sat 12.01.2019, 20:57

JusNoGood wrote:I've just switched from FJ to Flux.

FJ renewal =was £220 (with Salvage, £50 xs, Europoean cover, no courtesy car, Agreed value). £20 up from last year :roll:

Flux came back with £186 (£250 xs but with courtesy car, Salvage, Agreed value)

Retention of salvage is fine, but you have to be aware of the category, as A or B will never be allowed back on the road in the UK.

KR
Les
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby Rambo » Sun 13.01.2019, 10:46

£50 XS vs £250 XS :?
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 13.01.2019, 12:16

Rambo wrote:

£50 XS vs £250 XS :?

Swings and roundabouts. £200 more xs but does have courtesy car :)

I've only had to pay 1 xs in 32 years of driving. So if I'd paid £49 more a year to reduce xs I'd be roughly £1200 worse off after paying the higher xs (would actually be a bigger saving if I took off the courtesy car). Sods law says I'll claim three times this year :lol: .
Last edited by JusNoGood on Sun 13.01.2019, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Sun 13.01.2019, 12:35

I always go for a higher excess/lower premium (if I can) - I haven't had a claim which was my fault, and don't intend to start now!

I certainly don't expect to have an accident which is my fault (but there is always a first time, I know!), so a high excess isn't my problem if someone else is paying it.

To me, salvage retention is worthwhile (even if it goes to a total loss / never to be driven) as there should be things worth keeping (unless it's a burn-out).

The one thing I like with FJ is th ability to cover 'spare parts' in the car, or in storage.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby JusNoGood » Sun 13.01.2019, 15:29

Yes, I like the spares thing. I don't have too much in that respect at the moment. I'll review it again next year.

FJ: I also like the fact that you can get agreed value without sending them anything. With Flux I have to sent them 7 photos. Mind you good excuse to get me out the house and cleaning the car today instead of helping the Mrs with the spring cleaning :lol:

Flux did remind me of an accident I had in 2015 which I had completely forgotten about. A Romanian lorry went into the side of my WRX on the M25. Luckily I had my dash cam on (mobius) and as soon as the other insurer saw the footage they paid up - which included refunding my xs...wait for it Rambo...of £500 at the time :o :D I'd highly recommend to anyone to get a dash cam, cuts out a lot of unnecessary hassle.

I agree Dave. If my car was deemed unrepairable I want the option to decide whether I want to repair it myself or even keep it for parts. I dont want that to happen but I've thought a second car for spare parts would be great.
JusNoGood
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Fri 29.03.2019, 20:07

Good result today.

Changed my insurance company to Footman James and saved over 100 beer tokens

Two M100's, both garaged overnight, 5000 miles pa between the 2, agreed valuations of £10k and £12k, European cover for up to 90 days, salvage retention, £100 XS, spares cover etc ...all for the sum of £222.16.

But, then again, I'm an old git :?

Time for another :cheers:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusles » Fri 29.03.2019, 20:22

Rambo wrote:Good result today.

Changed my insurance company to Footman James and saved over 100 beer tokens

Two M100's, both garaged overnight, 5000 miles pa between the 2, agreed valuations of £10k and £12k, European cover for up to 90 days, salvage retention, £100 XS, spares cover etc ...all for the sum of £222.16.

But, then again, I'm an old git :?

Time for another :cheers:

Excellent result, but had you tried perhaps 1 hour later you might have had a different result. Its all about potential risk and reserves to invest. Glad you found a good deal.
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby Kathryn » Wed 03.04.2019, 18:31

Just got my renewal quote through from Flux. £40 cheaper than last year! Hoping to get a bit more off as a Lotus Drivers Club member. :D
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby lotusles » Thu 04.04.2019, 20:32

Just had a quote from Performance Direct underwritten by Markerstudy for £114 with agreed value, courtesy car etc etc
I have zero NCB and 6 penalty points :oops:

Well pleased
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby woody » Fri 12.04.2019, 10:24

Just renewed with Adrian Flux.
Underwritten by Markerstudy for £99.06 with agreed value £10k, £100 excess, courtesy car, salvage retention etc etc.
Well pleased
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Insurance and Breakdown