Insurance (uk)

For help finding/discussion about good insurance rates.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Specky, clemo, Nige, Sy V, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, GeoffSmith

Re: Insurance (uk)

Postby Enright » Tue 09.06.2015, 15:59

delboy72 wrote:Hi all,

I have a 1991 Lotus Elan M100, but I use it as my main car. Most classic car insurance companies that I've spoken to require you to have another car that you use for everyday purposes. Can anyone recommend cheap insurance? At the moment I'm with Flux Direct which is around £500.

Thanks very much

Alex

I've moved your post from the "classic car insurance" thread to this one because I remembered that Dave's last couple of posts made a pretty good recommendation, complete with links.
There are also lots of other reputable names in this thread if you work your way back through a few pages - hope that helps.
Striking fear into the hearts of duplicate posts everywhere...! :P

BCingU,
Neil ;-)
Enright
Modificator

Postby Scott J » Tue 09.06.2015, 16:27

I had my Elan and wifes Cooper on Admiral multi car as daily drivers. £350 for both.
Some people beat Rambo from A to B.
Scott J
The prodigal son

Postby Tuga2112 » Mon 14.09.2015, 20:11

back to the insurance hunt.

mind you i am moving house soon so the new quotes are on a different address than my renewal policy

£200 + multiple bits for a total £344 with FJ at my current address. including commuting

new address (walsall)
£660 for a 10k mileage (waiting for confirmation email cuys i forgot the company) including commuting

classicline offered £968 for 7500 miles with commuting

2gether offered £375 for 3k miles, without communting

I have valued my car at £6k for all these quotes. although I do not believe the car is worth that in the market at the present moment, with all the work i continuosly do on it I believe its a fair valuation in order to get a replacement and cover for all the expences in modifications done.

Ill continue updating as i get more quotes. but at the moment it seems very dificult to get a policy that gives me 10k miles, includes commuting with a good price.
Still learning
Youtube Channel @Tuga2112 M100 repair videos
Tuga2112
God

Postby simonbuk » Fri 22.04.2016, 07:41

I just used SureDirect on a limited mile policey, no NCD, £155. Seemed quite reasonable.
Simon - Black S2. Simonthesailor

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Location: Orpington, Kent, sometimes Worthing, currently River Thames........

Postby simonbuk » Sun 19.03.2017, 18:59

Anybody insured recently ? Mines up for renewal soon........

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So buy an Elan" - Mark Twain.
simonbuk
God

Postby Rambo » Mon 20.03.2017, 20:21

Just insured with Classic Line ......

2 Elan's, 3000 miles for each, breakdown and relay in this country and also European cover, all modifications and improvements noted and agreed and guaranteed values of £10k and £12k. One garaged, one ungaraged but on the drive

How much ?

a very reasonable £265 :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby simonbuk » Mon 20.03.2017, 22:50

s**t that's a good price !! What's the European cover - 30 days ? Does the breakdown include Euro breakdown ?

simonbuk
God

Postby simonbuk » Wed 29.03.2017, 14:12

Has anybody got seperate breakdown cover from their insurnace ?

simonbuk
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 29.03.2017, 14:57

simonbuk wrote:Has anybody got seperate breakdown cover from their insurnace ?

I have separate RAC breakdown/relay/at home cover for both both my M100s, my work van and a family car. Free in exchange for Tesco vouchers :wink:

I also now have full breakdown and 30 continuous days Euro cover via my new classic car insurance
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Simon_P » Wed 29.03.2017, 18:11

Rambo wrote:
simonbuk wrote:Has anybody got seperate breakdown cover from their insurnace ?

I have separate RAC breakdown/relay/at home cover for both both my M100s, my work van and a family car. Free in exchange for Tesco vouchers :wink:

I also now have full breakdown and 30 continuous days Euro cover via my new classic car insurance

I have the same scenario. Recently I locked myself out - car key in house, house key in car (don't ask!). I phoned up the RAC who wanted to charge me £100 to get into my car for some extra policy because I was at home, and then they couldn't guarantee to get in. Just as I borrowed a hammer from a neighbour to break the car window. I thought of the "Key Care" part of the classic policy so phoned them up - Absolutely excellent service and no additional charge.

Until now I've always considered the "Free" because you can't take it off the quote, breakdown cover to be a bit suspect, but now I'll be spending my tesco tokens on something else.
Simon_P
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 29.03.2017, 18:36

They have some excellent Shiraz in at present at a very modest price. Your Tesco tokens will no doubt be put to better use Simon :cheers:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Rob P » Fri 07.04.2017, 10:47

Rambo wrote:Just insured with Classic Line ......
2 Elan's, 3000 miles for each, breakdown and relay in this country and also European cover, all modifications and improvements noted and agreed and guaranteed values of £10k and £12k. One garaged, one ungaraged but on the drive
How much ?

Hi Rambo
Can you advise what Mods the cars have, after a few years of no issues with the Yellow peril I am now getting all sorts of heat from the insurance due to the Turbo upgrade and Boost controller
If this carries on I might have to get shut
simplify and add lightness
1991 Norfolk Mustard Yellow SE - Gone but will never be forgotten :-)
1969 Lotus Elan S4 - Wedgewood Blue
1997 Lotus Elise S1 - Metallic Racing Green
Rob P
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Sat 08.04.2017, 21:09

Rob P wrote:
Rambo wrote:Just insured with Classic Line ......
How much ?

Hi Rambo
Can you advise what Mods the cars have, after a few years of no issues with the Yellow peril I am now getting all sorts of heat from the insurance due to the Turbo upgrade and Boost controller
If this carries on I might have to get shut

One of mine has an Everest chip, S2 wheels, front Hi Specs and a Piper S/S exhaust declared. The other has a PNM S/S exhaust, S2 wheels and PNM front brake upgrade

I don't have any turbo upgrades or chavvy MBC stuff like in your Paul Watkins yellow peril :twisted:
Rambo
Don't push me

Flux Direct

Postby Dom » Sat 19.08.2017, 23:16

I've just insured my SE with Flux Direct. I told them about all the mods, got an agreed value and salvage rights and mentioned the fact that the car will be on the drive for the time being. All in, it was £125 including legal cover etc, with a 5000 mile cap and no commuting. I'm pretty pleased, to say the least!
Dom
Enthusiast

Re: Flux Direct

Postby John_W » Sat 19.08.2017, 23:53

I've just renewed with ClassicLine for nearly three times that (similar cover, including breakdown, Legal, 5000 miles, garaged). Next year I won't be so lazy as just to stay with the same company I've been with for 10 years.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby simonbuk » Fri 15.09.2017, 00:08

Just declared my HiSpecs to my insurance company and they've charged me 20 quid for the remainder of the term !!

Why - I can now stop better and avoid accidents !!

simonbuk
God

Postby Kathryn » Fri 15.09.2017, 00:23

simonbuk wrote:Just declared my HiSpecs to my insurance company and they've charged me 20 quid for the remainder of the term !!

Why - I can now stop better and avoid accidents !!

Really? I wasn't charged anything when I declared mine.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby par » Wed 11.04.2018, 11:24

My current insurer has sent through my renewal but now wont provide cover for modifications so need to find a mod friendly insurer, will give Classic Line mentioned above a call but would be grateful for any other recommendations.
par
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Wed 11.04.2018, 11:26

par wrote:My current insurer has sent through my renewal but now wont provide cover for modifications so need to find a mod friendly insurer, will give Classic Line mentioned above a call but would be grateful for any other recommendations.

Footman James have always been good to me....... as have Peter James....... not tried Classicline so can't comment.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually..... - but also temporary custodian of a project until it is finished enough for Angie to drive it

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby MPx » Wed 11.04.2018, 16:22

The last few years I've stuck with Performance Direct as most unusually they haven't tried to increase the premium noticeably at all - still £150 for me and Fran fully comp on 3000 miles with all mods declared.
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Insurance and Breakdown