Pay double the $$$ to dismiss the points

For help finding/discussion about good insurance rates.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Pay double the $$$ to dismiss the points

Postby nitroman » Tue 14.07.2009, 23:41

I got a speeding ticket last month in the tiny Georgia town of Woodbine. Like many tiny towns they stake out the small stretch of interstate which lies inside their city limits. In Woodbine's case you must leave town to get to their section of interstate, meaning there is no exit or entry from the interstate into Woodbine. As such, I don't know which Woodbine residents are being protected by the police presence they maintain there, unless some drunk Woodbine resident climbs over a traffic wall and passes out on the roadway.

Anyway I got an 85mph in a 70 ticket. The officer says "you may be eligible to have the points withheld, ask them when you call." Sure enough, there is no fine amount to pay written on the ticket. My only options are to appear in court on Sept. 2nd or call the phone # on the ticket. Odd. I call the # and the lady says pay $200 and I start to ask about options & she says, "Are you wanting to speak to the judge about having the points withheld?" Sort of surprised I say, "sure," and she says he'll be back after 2pm. When I call back they transfer me to the clerk of court who quickly says I can pay double ($400) if I want the points withheld. I say sure, what do I need to do, make a notation on the check? He says no, we know when we get a ticket for that much [money] that's what you want!

In case you think I alone experienced this rare glimpse into "justice," see this article. I was actually poking around for dirt on Woodbine. http://www2.mooresvilletribune.com/cont ... ews-local/

Perhaps Woodbine should concentrate their traffic enforcement here. Silly me, I forgot its not about safety, its about money! http://www.tribune-georgian.com/article ... ss6.26.txt
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Re: Pay double the $$$ to dismiss the points

Postby lotos » Wed 15.07.2009, 00:15

You can get points on your license on a simple speeding ticket from another state? You sure?
lotos
God

Postby Fubar1764 » Wed 15.07.2009, 02:10

And this surprises you how? I'd say pay the extra money and move on. Highway robbery is alive and well: municipal police.
"Lawyer, gambler, bookie, loan-shark, light arson, sundry interests in areas of questionable legality"

-Your "Jack" of all trades
Fubar1764
God

Postby theelanman » Wed 15.07.2009, 02:26

camera or in person....
in the UK If it was a camera offence Id check if it was issued within 14~28 days and then ask for the picture :)......well it delays it all a bit......but $400 is still a fair old wedge... :roll:
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby theelanman » Wed 15.07.2009, 02:28

how much does the points system affect the US...or what is your points/fine system and how does it work with your insurance people?.......just thought Id ask :)
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby superbad » Wed 15.07.2009, 02:54

$400!

I got a ticket in West Texas a few years ago that was a similar deal, except they had it all spelled out on the ticket. The odd thing there is you are instructed to make the check out to the judge, personally. Not to the town or county or whatever, it was a check made out to Judge Boss Hogg. How the hell does that work? I assume he just cashes them and distributes a percentage with his cops.
superbad
Fanatic

Postby nitroman » Wed 15.07.2009, 04:55

theelanman wrote:how much does the points system affect the US...or what is your points/fine system and how does it work with your insurance people?.......just thought Id ask :)

It is state specific, although I'd imagine they are mostly the same. A speeding ticket is 3 points. At 12 points (within 3 years) your license is revoked. The more points the higher your insurance goes. Worst though, is that you have a hard time renting a car if you've had a ticket within the last year.

Fubar1764 wrote:And this surprises you how? I'd say pay the extra money and move on. Highway robbery is alive and well: municipal police.

The sad thing is that it doesn't surprise me. If anything it's almost come to the point where they no longer feel it necessary to disguise their activities. ie... "We need money. You drove a Lotus through our poor little town. Pay us."

It's incredible to me that at least for the last 30 years 50% of the money collected for Jacksonville traffic violations goes DIRECTLY into the Policed & Fire Pension Fund. This is admitted to by EVERY police & city official. Where is the indignation at the conflict of interest?
Strive for perfection in everything. (given time)
Take the best that exists & make it better. (given inclination)
If it doesn't exist, create it. (God did)
Ignore what I say. (good advice)
nitroman

Return to Insurance and Breakdown