Insurance in Spain

For help finding/discussion about good insurance rates.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Insurance in Spain

Postby P@ulW » Fri 20.12.2013, 23:15

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that would cover breakdown and recovery to the UK for taking an Elan to Spain? I want to drive my car to the south of Spain and am a bit nervous about the consequences of a breakdown en route. Assuming I get there in one piece, I'm also interested in anyone's experience of insuring a car in Spain - and in the difficulties in making it legal to keep it there. Beyond that, am I mad to want to run the car there or should I sell it here before I go? (Anyone who wants to buy an NMY S2 before mid-January, please get in touch. It's a sorted car, but I'm still nervous about such a long trip and the potential difficulties of maintaining it in the Alpujarras).
P@ulW
Tinkerer

Re: Insurance in Spain

Postby ovi » Tue 24.12.2013, 10:51

My stepfather lives in Denia and drive a Porsche 944 S2.
He entered the car because insurance and road tax are very cheap in Spain.
For maintenance he has found a garage in Alicate they working on all brands.
I will ask him to look at the name of his insurance company.

And why should you have to be mad to drive in Spain?
For fools you must be in Italy. :lol:
ovi
Enthusiast

Postby Fredjohn » Tue 24.12.2013, 18:41

Hi
I have an English Lotus Elan M100 owning friend who lives in Spain all year round. Although not a member of LEC, he is a member of Club Lotus. I see him maybe twice a year when he comes over for Club Lotus functions: the CL Lakes in June and CLNW Xmas do in Jan.

I will try to get his contact details and forward them to you if this will help.

John
Edit addition:
PS I took my '69 Elan DHC to Spain on holiday via France 6 years ago and other friends take their old Europa regularly to Spain on hols. We both just use whatever respective UK classic policies we have. Mine covers European driving and also European breakdown as a standard feature of the policy. Hope this helps.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby P@ulW » Tue 31.12.2013, 14:54

Thanks for your help Ovi & John - and apologies for the late response; BT have only just restored the phone and internet lines that storms wrecked before Christmas - and the "mended" phone line went down again within hours of the fix.

Happy new year

Paul
P@ulW
Tinkerer

Postby Fredjohn » Sun 19.01.2014, 15:39

Paul

You have a PM

John
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby P@ulW » Tue 21.01.2014, 18:07

Thank you, John, that's very helpful. I will get in touch with your friend when more urgent issues like having no heating or hot water while there's nine inches of snow outside have been dealt with.

The Élan did the trip from Santander to the Alpujarras without a hitch - long may it continue!

Regards

Paul
P@ulW
Tinkerer

Postby ovi » Thu 30.01.2014, 16:26

My stepfather's insurance broker is a Dutchman who lives in Spain, but he does not. Know the name of the insurance
Currently, he is also not return to Spain for health reasons so I can not help you.

We also drove down there with the Elan in the holiday and done 5.000 km in 14 days! :bananasex:
ovi
Enthusiast

Return to Insurance and Breakdown