Does size matter? and other questions

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Does size matter? and other questions

Postby Nick Brough » Thu 28.12.2017, 13:49

Went for my first drive in an Elan today, liked it but, I am 6ft and found it felt a bit cramped in the leg room area after my TVR (Peter Wheeler was 6ft 6 :lol: ) do others find this or is it just me.

Also, the car I looked at a Series 2 appeared to have oil leaking own both ends of the engine, Rocker cover gasket?, the steering was quite heavy, although there was some "creaking" from the power assistance, is this normal?

Thanks

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Re: Does size matter? and other questions

Postby clemo » Thu 28.12.2017, 14:32

Ohh we possibly forgot to tell you about this hissing snake in the footwell . That will be the power steering . Its not the most hyper effective but that is what we have . Which i like . As its not super twitchy like modern cars i guess as because its not a modern car .

The O ring is a usual leaky place . Not so much the rocker cover though .
I guess in one way its honest to see it as IS . If it had have been steam cleaned then you would not have known for some while .

As for tall people . There are ways around it . I know that some take the casters out from the base of the seats . This helps a bit . Though if i remember you will need to put a small shim back in on one side as 3 are one size and 1 is different . Many drivers remove the sun visors too . Many of them just flap around anyway .

Was it the Metallic S2 you went to view ?

Did you like it ?
Jim Clark S2 on the way . The one with the Yellow spoke wheels .
clemo

Postby lotusflasherman » Thu 28.12.2017, 14:45

Nick Brough wrote:Went for my first drive in an Elan today, liked it but, I am 6ft and found it felt a bit cramped in the leg room area after my TVR (Peter Wheeler was 6ft 6 :lol: ) do others find this or is it just me.

Also, the car I looked at a Series 2 appeared to have oil leaking own both ends of the engine, Rocker cover gasket?, the steering was quite heavy, although there was some "creaking" from the power assistance, is this normal?

Thanks

Nick

Shouldn't be a problem, just you.. :lol: Mike Kimberley was boss of Lotus when M100 was developed and he's 6ft 5" and "a stern judge of a driving position" -(Page 62 of Mark Hughes book of the Lotus Elan.)

and NO, not normal. Shouldn't leak oil or creak. Power steering will cause a slight 'hiss' but that's all. How many miles has it done?
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Nick Brough » Thu 28.12.2017, 15:11

Thank you for the replies a hiss is a much better description than a "creak". It was the green metallic one, the garage owner summed up what I was thinking it needs to find the right owner, I don't think that is me at present, especially as it is the first one I have seen.

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby Bern » Thu 28.12.2017, 16:09

I'm 6' as well, and I found the driving position a bit cramped.

I made 2 brackets out of square section steel tube from Wickes that lifted the seats about 20mm, but more importantly allowed the seat holes to be further back back than standard. And being slightly higher means that they slide back further before hitting the B post.

You'd think that making the seats higher would put the top of your head above the windscreen, but actually seems to be OK, and I haven't lost a hat yet! One day I'll adapt these further to allow me to change the seats.

Cheers,

Bern.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 Land Rover Discovery TD5
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby Nick Brough » Thu 28.12.2017, 18:39

Bern wrote:I'm 6' as well, and I found the driving position a bit cramped.

I made 2 brackets out of square section steel tube from Wickes that lifted the seats about 20mm, but more importantly allowed the seat holes to be further back back than standard. And being slightly higher means that they slide back further before hitting the B post.

You'd think that making the seats higher would put the top of your head above the windscreen, but actually seems to be OK, and I haven't lost a hat yet! One day I'll adapt these further to allow me to change the seats.

Cheers,

Bern.

Thanks Bern, sounds like a plan :) any pictures?
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Thu 28.12.2017, 20:21

I am ~6 feet tall and weigh ~100 kgs and I have no problems in getting my finely honed physique in or out, even with a replacement hip

There are people in LEC, past and present, who have been taller and wider than me and still coped. For instance, Sy Vickers must have been at least 6' 3" and 120 kgs and all he did was lower the driving seat by removing the spacers

So, size doesn't matter, but, what you do with it does :lol:
Rambo
Goldfish-brain

Postby GeoffSmith » Thu 28.12.2017, 20:29

Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - Sorry, currently unavailable.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Nick Brough » Thu 28.12.2017, 20:52

GeoffSmith wrote:Image

I think you may have misunderstood my picture request, no matter whatever lights your candle is fine by me. :-D
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby Nick Brough » Thu 28.12.2017, 20:57

Rambo wrote:I am ~6 feet tall and weigh ~100 kgs and I have no problems in getting my finely honed physique in or out, even with a replacement hip

There are people in LEC, past and present, who have been taller and wider than me and still coped. For instance, Sy Vickers must have been at least 6' 3" and 120 kgs and all he did was lower the driving seat by removing the spacers

So, size doesn't matter, but, what you do with it does :lol:

Good to know thanks, no problem getting in and out, much easier than a GT40 ;) it was more the leg room to the pedals.
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Postby dapinky » Thu 28.12.2017, 21:14

I'm 6'2" and 110Kg..... also have arms and legs like a gorilla.

Whilst I accept that my car seating has been fairly well modified over the years (Honda seats on bespoke mounting plates), when it had the standard seats I simply removed the rear spacer brackets and fitted a penny washer to the outside mounting to keep it level to the inside one. This gives it a bit of a tilt on the base, so the legs have a bit more space as they are naturally thrown upwards to the knees.

That gave a seperate issue of hitting the steering wheel (or hands on the steering wheel) on ocassions.....

..... I have an Elise steering wheel fitted now (and have had for a few years) - only 1" less on diameter, but makes a big difference in wheel-to-thigh clearance.

By removing the drivers side sunvisor I get good vision out of the screen, and don't miss it as a pair of sunglasses are far more effective anyway (and the roof is usually down).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Bern » Thu 28.12.2017, 21:25

Thanks Bern, sounds like a plan :) any pictures?

Yup no worries, I'll try and get some for you.

I guess it depends on what you find comfortable, I couldn't have had the seats any lower as I needed my legs straighter and hips higher to get comfortable.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby Bern » Sun 31.12.2017, 12:57

Sorry it took me a while to get the pictures, the car is in a garage a few miles from home!

WP_20171231_11_11_20_Pro[24861].jpg

WP_20171231_11_11_29_Pro[24858].jpg

That's just the front, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I did.

The seat runner isn't flat along the bottom, so I had to put other holes in the steel tube so that the runner would sit flat on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'87 Mini
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Enthusiast

Postby Nick Brough » Sun 31.12.2017, 19:19

Bern wrote:Sorry it took me a while to get the pictures, the car is in a garage a few miles from home!

WP_20171231_11_11_20_Pro[24861].jpg

WP_20171231_11_11_29_Pro[24858].jpg

That's just the front, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I did.

The seat runner isn't flat along the bottom, so I had to put other holes in the steel tube so that the runner would sit flat on it.

Thank you

Nick
Nick Brough
Tinkerer

Return to General Lotus/Isuzu Discussion