The future of the Elan

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

The future of the Elan

Postby Tannerman » Tue 23.06.2009, 23:37

I have owned my Elan for a month now and the one thing that stands out for me with this car is it's future.

The parts are so scarce or the prices so high it is just a matter of time before the "none purist" will part his car out rather than sell it as a whole.

The things i have seen so far in my month of ownership are....

1. Ashtray $80 0 bids reserve not met
2. New rotars (brake discs) $1200
3. new hood (last one) £1300
4. Engine (used) £2200
5. If i had to replace all of the "crap" seals on my car to make it as waterproof as the Titanic...££££££££££££££££££
and probably worth more than the 3k i paid for it.

Massive shame because i think in 10 years time this car will be as rare as hens teeth, I am sick and tired of putting in Lotus Elan in "google" and being bombarded with items new old and remade for the 60,s car...

Now don't get me wrong i am glad that this car of the 60,s is being kept alive albeit from bastardised parts from other cars which came from the same era but what about our cars!!!! Issuzu still exist so why can't someone take stock and help us keep these cars on the road before they fall to extinction..

My Elan was unloved before i got it and i intend to bring it back to former glory but at the prices of new bits i will either recondition or improvise on other bits to make them fit so i can keep it on the road....

I really hope it is not a sad end for the Elan :(
Lotus Elan M100 1990 (red
VW Tiguan R Line
Ford Transit Jumbo
Toyota Celica 25 th anniversary model
Tannerman
Enthusiast

Re: The future of the Elan

Postby Jackonicko » Tue 23.06.2009, 23:51

You need more than a month to see the true price of parts.

You've seen some high priced items fail to sell.

2. New rotors (brake discs) $1200 - but there are plenty of non OEM alternatives
3. new hood (last one) £1300 - but that's because it includes a brand new frame. Replacing the roof costs much less if you have a frame. If you don't then get one from the next crashed Elan.
4. Engine (used) £2200 - I've seen several for £1200-£1600 in the last year.

It's not as easy as an MGB or a 60s Elan, but there are very, very few show-stopping parts that really can't be sourced - and sourced relatively cheaply, and a staggering amount of stuff is still being made for the car, sometimes via group buys.

If you need a new tub, or a new backbone chassis, then yes, you probably need a donor car, but otherwise.........

We're a very, very long way from extinction.
Jackonicko

Postby dapinky » Wed 24.06.2009, 09:21

How about:-

New brake discs for £12 each

New Hood fabric with all seals £500ish (plus you'll probably need 'A' pillar seals for £150 the pair from Lotus)

Engine (used) - i picked one up with a gearbox and all sensors/ancilliaries (except turbo and altenator) for under £400

Full turbo rebuild £30

That makes it as cheap as any other car out there!!!!!

Plus there are the numerous options to repair/improve any of the above parts - Hi Spec brake upgrade for under half of the price of the rotors you've seen (unsold!)
Hoods can usually be patched/repaired or sometimes come up second-hand
Engine can be rebuilt unless it is totally smashed up...... Pistons can be made up in whatever bore size you want for about $400, bearing shells are easily available in UK (standard size) or from USA for about $100 a set (big end and main).
Even the crank (currently a cast-iron item) can be made up in billet steel if you want to spend the money (likewise the con-rods).

I believe that the Isuzu 1.8 head will fit the lotus block (obviously, also an Isuzu item), so can be sourced at an appropriate price. Or alternative Isuzu engines have been looked at by various members on here, but discounted at this time as there are still enough original ones about to make it not worth the hassle.

In time, original parts will run out, and we will be left with fitting what we can get - but this is nothing new! When i had my Europa in the early '80s it was the same for the twin-cam engine (luckily, lots more of them out there in the UK) - many people were (and still are) fitting a non-Lotus block (Ford) with the twink head, or adapting other Ford engines to go into the cars....

Non of the 'modifications' really effect the use of the cars - but there was/is a larger number of them about to start with, which enabled companies like Spyder to develop kits of all the bits you would need to fit a Zetec engine to an +2 elan etc etc.

Remember too, Lotus's of that era used parts from all sorts of cars (Ford/Renault engines/gearboxes, Triumph front suspension/brakes/wheels, Morris door fittings etc etc) so it isn't really a case of finding 'something to fit' as there were plenty of 'original' options.

I agree that there is likely to be a period of cheaper cars being broken for parts (but that will help most of us out, anyway) - despite it being something i wouldn't want to see happening if it can be avoided - but ecomomics dictate that if a car will fetch £2k as a whole, or £4k as parts (unlikely, but possible) then it will be broken up by some owners.

Eventually (as with the earlier elans) we will be left with less cars, but of a higher standard of upkeep, owned by enthusiasts not speculators (or boy racers) and prices will reflect that.

As i say, it's not specific to the M100, but most 'small volume' cars go through it - grit your teeth and hang in there.

(and don't pay stupid money for parts without asking on here what the options currently are - It can save you a fortune - or cost you one if it ends up as a 'must get involved 'Group Buy' :-D )
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby mikeydude » Wed 24.06.2009, 12:54

Please please tell me where you got your turbo re-connedd for £30!?
mikeydude
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Wed 24.06.2009, 14:30

mikeydude wrote:Please please tell me where you got your turbo re-connedd for £30!?

In my garage !

see the wiki
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Tannerman » Wed 24.06.2009, 21:03

I bet you have a thousand Pms now asking for you to rebuild Turbos :shock:

dapinky wrote:
mikeydude wrote:Please please tell me where you got your turbo re-connedd for £30!?

In my garage !

see the wiki
Lotus Elan M100 1990 (red
VW Tiguan R Line
Ford Transit Jumbo
Toyota Celica 25 th anniversary model
Tannerman
Enthusiast

Postby Gary » Wed 24.06.2009, 21:22

I was thinking the same. He could even charge a tenner for each too, so that would be £40 a shot
Ex owner of S2 no 480 and Red SE
Gary
God

Postby MattDon » Wed 24.06.2009, 21:27

just keep an eye on parts on here, if you cant find something you need ask someone normaly comes through, if you get stuck checkout the aftersales list and if you get realy stuck there are breakers out there and what seems to be a steady trickly on accident damaged cars. Or do what i did and buy a second car for parts (dont judge me, its was recorded damaged)

the write up is fantastic, i downloaded it. thanks once again for going to the trouble.
please use email for contact
MattDon
God

Return to General Lotus/Isuzu Discussion