Reversed into.

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Re: Reversed into.

Postby theelanman » Tue 10.10.2017, 08:40

these non Lotus mud flaps are very effective......
they keep the stones and mud from sill for the length of the car......
they are light and flexible and as such wont 'ping' off should you accidentally catch something
theyre just non standard Lotus parts that do a job..........

there was also this thread back in the day

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9822&p=118038&hilit=mud+flaps+fiesta#p118038
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby dapinky » Tue 10.10.2017, 09:52

As many of you know, I'm in favour of 'function over form' for most things on the car - cosmetic looks are well below the performance of an item when I come to choosing 'add-ons'.

At the time of the Group Buy I was (as many others) sceptical as to the possible effectiveness of a piece of rubber which, in places, is less than an inch wide.

I never really considered the Lotus ones as they were hard to source, but did look at various aftermarket items to find one to do the job.

Many (most?) of them were quite wide, but very little protruded beyond the outer edge of the wheelarch, and I even looked at making up a set from plastic sheet (same as I use on my rally cars) - but realised that all they would do is stop some water/mud/muck hitting the wheelarch liner, as well as splattering the sills. I decided that they could well become a trap for this muck between the flap and the bodywork, and whilst this wouldn't lead to rusting the bodywork (obviously!), it could easily lead to rusting the brackets/fittings.

When I actually got round to fitting the 'small' ones, I was surprised at how unobtrusive they were, whilst still being 98% effective (percentage is only an estimate!!!!) - obviously, nothing will be 100% effective, and my intention was to prevent stonechips along the sills and rear bumper, more than a bit of mud which will wash off during the bi-annual car wash.

Whilst i'd like to think that Lotus would have spent a long time and pleanty of cash developing an optimum item during the design/production of the Elan, the realist in me thinks that they simply grabbed something off the shelf which would do the job, and fettled them to fit - whereas the Group Buy ones were thought about and designed to specifically do the job required.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Postby theelanman » Tue 10.10.2017, 10:06

:agree:
I’m normally not a praying man, but if you’re up there, please save me, Superman.
theelanman

Postby Saltire » Thu 12.10.2017, 08:51

The (US-sourced) mudflaps have landed!

They have been sent to Coventry (Airport), where they're awaiting Customs clearance. As soon as I have a figure for duty and VAT, I'll post again and we can split it 5 ways.

More news soon.
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby sheriff464 » Fri 13.10.2017, 22:26

Hello Kathryn. I was just looking through previous Spotted posts and saw that your Palacio S2 has the registration number N ??? VJH. Now, my 1995 S2 on 1/1195. (Lotus Racing Green) has reg.number N ??? VJH. The supplying dealership was SGT Lotus (We Sell Freedom). Was your S2 supplied by them I wonder? I hope that your (Reversed into) woes are now sorted out satisfactorily? Back in the mid eighties I had a Triumph TR7 (aagh B L's finest hour) and I was reversed into by a HGV at a fuel filling station. It left two precision gouges down the centre of the bonnet; luckily the headlamp area was not damaged,just a new bonnet with a respray in Bordeau Red. Cheers from Sheriff464.
sheriff464

Postby Kathryn » Sat 14.10.2017, 13:01

sheriff464 wrote:Hello Kathryn. I was just looking through previous Spotted posts and saw that your Palacio S2 has the registration number N ??? VJH. Now, my 1995 S2 on 1/1195. (Lotus Racing Green) has reg.number N ??? VJH. The supplying dealership was SGT Lotus (We Sell Freedom). Was your S2 supplied by them I wonder? I hope that your (Reversed into) woes are now sorted out satisfactorily? Back in the mid eighties I had a Triumph TR7 (aagh B L's finest hour) and I was reversed into by a HGV at a fuel filling station. It left two precision gouges down the centre of the bonnet; luckily the headlamp area was not damaged,just a new bonnet with a respray in Bordeau Red. Cheers from Sheriff464.

Yes, mine was supplied by SGT on 13/10/95. - 22 years ago yesterday! I was aware someone else had a similar plate. Out of interest what is your special edition number, because I have a feeling mine was a little slow to sell?

Reversed into woes now all fixed thankfully and as I took the opportunity to have a partial respray she looks almost as good as when she left SGT!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby sheriff464 » Sun 15.10.2017, 18:26

Kathryn, my LRG metallic S2 is Special Edition Number 742,Registered on 01/11/1995. SGT. So by the look of it, your Palacio Purple (540) registered just 3 weeks prior to mine must have been delayed somewhere along the line since production and arriving at SGT. I don't really know how long, i.e.(days) it took to make one car;being hand built in those days i.e. no robot controlled production lines! With a gap of 202 cars (742-540) it could have been a considerable time lapse! Who knows. Cheers from Sheriff 464.
sheriff464

Postby Kathryn » Mon 16.10.2017, 18:48

I think production had finished by then. I imagine they came off the production line in number order (apart from a few who's new owners requested particular numbers) but I may be wrong. Maybe no one wanted a purple one. :(
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 16.10.2017, 19:07

Kathryn wrote:I have a feeling mine was a little slow to sell?

Kathryn wrote: Maybe no one wanted a purple one. :(

You might have hit the nail on the head Kathryn. It's known affectionately in LEC circles as a "Marmite" colour :twisted:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Kathryn » Mon 16.10.2017, 21:52

I know.
Personally I think it's the best colour! I love marmite too! :D
Thankfully they didn't actually come in Marmite colour! I think that would be rather marmite too. :lol:
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Mon 16.10.2017, 22:24

Actually, we did really see a Marmite M100 at Donington many, many years ago. Someone turned up in one that had been resprayed brown :shock: Anyone remember that or have any photos ?

PS I'm not talking about Rob's collapso red that was caked from top to toe with thick mud :lol:
Rambo
MacAffro

Postby Kathryn » Mon 16.10.2017, 22:52

Rambo wrote:Actually, we did really see a Marmite M100 at Donington many, many years ago. Someone turned up in one that had been resprayed brown :shock: Anyone remember that or have any photos ?

PS I'm not talking about Rob's collapso red that was caked from top to toe with thick mud :lol:

Really? Why would you want a brown sports car?!
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby MPx » Mon 16.10.2017, 23:41

Everything has its time Kathryn... When the Porsche 928 was released in the mid '70s it could be had in various shades of brown ....and I kind of liked it at the time :shock:
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Previous

Return to General