Shower Cap

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, GeoffSmith, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds, Specky, Nige, DaveT

Shower Cap

Postby steble » Thu 07.12.2017, 14:22

Hi All,

I have read all of the old posts regarding a shower cap for the Elan and they all seem to be out of date now. None of the recommendations are available anymore it seems.

The only shower cap I have found is this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-M100-S2-1989-1985-Half-Size-Car-Cover/253206590352?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Before I order one does anybody know of any others that are still made for me to check out?

Many Thanks
Steve
YELLOW ELAN M100
CLASSIC MINI RIO WITH B16A2 VTEC ENGINE
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
MINI MAYFAIR SOON TO BE RALLY SPEC
steble
Enthusiast

Re: Shower Cap

Postby Rambo » Thu 07.12.2017, 14:30

The original shower cape, purpose made for the M100, was originally available through WillB. You could try PM'ing him to see if he still has any

The one you show looks a little bit flimsy. The WillB cape was attached by about 10 suckers to the window and body. It also had an elasticated band and rucksack clips to go round the wing mirrors. It is absolutely bomb proof and mine is still working well a dozen or so years later.
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Postby Fredjohn » Thu 07.12.2017, 15:38

The one you show from ebay looks similar to the one I bought. Although it doesn't have many ties (mine has four, elasticated), you can put it under the windscreen wipers as added retention.

It has never come off in wet/windy conditions and stores easily in a small bundled bag in the upper reaches of the rear wing cavities.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby steble » Thu 07.12.2017, 23:53

Rambo wrote:The original shower cape, purpose made for the M100, was originally available through WillB. You could try PM'ing him to see if he still has any

The one you show looks a little bit flimsy. The WillB cape was attached by about 10 suckers to the window and body. It also had an elasticated band and rucksack clips to go round the wing mirrors. It is absolutely bomb proof and mine is still working well a dozen or so years later.

I will send him a message thanks

Although that doesn't sound the quickest to put on.

I am using the car to go to work everyday now, and want to put it on when I get there in the morning.
YELLOW ELAN M100
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
steble
Enthusiast

Postby steble » Thu 07.12.2017, 23:55

Fredjohn wrote:The one you show from ebay looks similar to the one I bought. Although it doesn't have many ties (mine has four, elasticated), you can put it under the windscreen wipers as added retention.

It has never come off in wet/windy conditions and stores easily in a small bundled bag in the upper reaches of the rear wing cavities.

That's good to hear thanks.

It is looking like my only option atm

Is it quick to put it on?
YELLOW ELAN M100
SUZUKI IGNIS SPORT
steble
Enthusiast

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 08.12.2017, 00:12

Yes, provided it's not too windy or there are 2 of you!!

Just put hooks under wheel spokes or under bumper and lift wipers and place under them.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Team Carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby Kathryn » Fri 08.12.2017, 01:09

I'm looking for a new shower cap too! The elastics are no longer elastic and now I've ripped a massive hole in it!
I've got a Classic Additions one that looks like that eBay one. It's the second one I've had, and whilst the first fitted like a glove, the second one is bigger and not so tight fitting and as a concequence hasn't lasted so long. I was going to email them before ordering to see if they'd changed it or had more than one size XS as the second one was labelled XS(A).

I was hoping to find a different one but there doesn't seem to be any others available. Let me know if you have any success with WillB.

(The classic Additions one is really quick to put on once you get the hang of it, but I don't use my wipers to hold it down since both my wiperblades split)
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Kathryn » Fri 08.12.2017, 01:18

This is my current cover. The previous one (supposedly the same) was a tighter fit to the roof and didnt come down the side of the car so far. It does have front elastics too, but I've tied them round the wipers so I don't damage my new paintwork!

IMG_1397.JPG

And that little git sat on the spoiler isn't mine! You can't see in the picture the muddy paw prints he leaves all over my rear deck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Giniw » Fri 08.12.2017, 01:23

It's a cat on a cat on skates! (I hope he doesn't leave too much scratches on your paint! :cry: )
Giniw
God

Postby Kathryn » Fri 08.12.2017, 01:39

Giniw wrote:It's a cat on a cat on skates! (I hope he doesn't leave too much scratches on your paint! :cry: )

So do I! :( I haven't noticed any scratches, just paw prints and hairs.
Palacio S2 #540
Kathryn
Fanatic

Postby Saltire » Fri 08.12.2017, 08:03

You could at least have chosen a colour-matched moggy. You need a Norfolk Mustard Lotus, clearly :lol:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG/LRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
Fanatic

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Rambo » Mon 11.12.2017, 23:11

steble wrote:
Rambo wrote:The original shower cape, purpose made for the M100, was originally available through WillB. You could try PM'ing him to see if he still has any

I will send him a message thanks

Although that doesn't sound the quickest to put on.

I am using the car to go to work everyday now, and want to put it on when I get there in the morning.

On the contrary. The WillB shower cape can be attached in less than a minute. And it only takes one person :?

I rate it as one of the best investments, pound for pound, I have made on the M100. (the other is ESM's Everest chip)

My shower cape is now approx. 12 years old, used daily, still 100% waterproof and virtually as good as new. It makes that EBay one look distinctly Mickey Mouse :?
Rambo
Sauce au raifort

Return to General