So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, GeoffSmith, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT

Re: So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Postby Rambo » Tue 15.05.2018, 21:16

Rambo wrote:The Yellow Peril sailed through it's recent MOT with no failures or advisories. 123,500 miles and counting :burnout:

It's the Black Beast next week

The Black Beast also got through the MOT with no failures or advisories. Very low emissions as per normal - 0.24% CO (max = 3.5%) and HC's 263 ppm (max = 1200 ppm)

55,193 miles and counting :burnout:
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby Saltire » Tue 15.05.2018, 22:34

lotusflasherman wrote:See you at 'Combe but don't see how new regs will affect a M100 Elan... unless it''s a diesel :lol:
mot-changes-20-may-2018
My Elan+2S becomes exempt... No Road Tax, No MOT test fee, £85 per year Classic Insurance... :bananasex:

That’s the ones. The bit that worries me is that - at the testers discretion - he/she can classify a fault as ‘dangerous’. Which means you’re not allowed to take the car away from the MoT station; you have to leave it there for them to fix. Not sure I want to do that. And who decides what constitutes a dangerous fault? A blown headlamp bulb’s pretty dangerous if I want to do a 200 mile night drive, and probably not otherwise. Licence for the unscrupulous tester to print money?

I’ll just have to wait another 17 years till the Elan becomes MoT exempt :twisted:
Jonathan

S2 no 512, BRG, magnolia interior, last of four UK S2 to this spec
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby Giniw » Wed 16.05.2018, 01:30

Here in France we have a similar new MOT too, but the car cannot be kept by the tester, the worst that can happen is that you have to repair in the next 24 hours(!) or then you are not allowed to drive the car until it's fixed.
As I understand it's a EU rule, won't you get rid of that new MOT after the Brexit is effective?
Giniw
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 16.05.2018, 07:14

That’s how it used to be here. Under the existing rules, you can drive the car a reasonable distance to a place where repairs will be undertaken. From Sunday, as I understand it, if it fails with a “dangerous fault”, you won’t be able to drive it away from the garage. And that means the company which does the MoT has an interest in recording faults as dangerous, because that way they make money from fixing the fault. Unless, presumably, you hire a trailer and take your car away on that

And no, I don’t think things will change once we leave the EU :lol:
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Sutherland

Postby dapinky » Wed 16.05.2018, 11:35

I am a bit confused as to why the UK government has adopted the 'EU' rules for this bit of the testing requirements - - but not the bit where they say testing should be done every 2 years..... Cash cow springs to mind.

Jonathan, I don't think they can physically prevent you from driving the car away (that would not be legal), but you won't have much of an arguement if you get involved in a crash 100 miles away without getting it fixed and re-tested. A local trip home (to a place of repair) isn't a big issue {I hope}.

(oh, and my Triumph is now a real bargain to own - free tax, no MOT and £45 insurance).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 16.05.2018, 17:05

Saltire wrote:The bit that worries me is that - at the testers discretion - he/she can classify a fault as ‘dangerous’

What makes you think it's at the tester's discretion? It's always been laid down in detail by DOT/DVSA ... https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/manuals
Phil

Leave me alone, I think I know what I'm doing.
Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Location: Hadleigh, 15m west of Ipswich or 800 miles south (Cap d'Agde)

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Wed 16.05.2018, 17:12

I am sure there are a few less than honorable techs that could interpret some obscure rule to block passing.

Usually, owners are getting tested BEFORE the certification has run out, so they should not be able to do anything except fail a car. Impounding a car is a serious matter and could be considered to outright theft.
HD Replacement Shift Cables and Short Shift Kits still available
HD Replacement Shift Cable and Short-Shift Kit prices
Please contact me via eMail, not by PM
Download Manuals Here
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 16.05.2018, 17:45

John, there is also an appeal process in UK. I had a Tester blindly following a flow chart about 'Body Integrity' worried about 'cracks under the body' at the front of my Eclat due to hitting a badger a few days before. He said it was a "Fail" by his Guidelines, I said it's got a separate chassis, not structural, so doesn't apply - give me an Appeal Form. He then made a phone call or two and I got a Pass Certificate. He excuse was 'have to follow guidelines, need permission not to'.
Phil

Cars: Subaru Forester 2.5XTN, Eclat Riviera & brace of Pacific Blue SE's.... and now an Elan+2S !
lotusflasherman
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 16.05.2018, 18:05

Anyway, it passed! CO 0.000; HC 7; Lambda 1.023. First two well within limits; Lambda is approaching the upper limit of 1.030. How concerned should I be (and no, I haven’t had a chance to run an ElanScan yet)?

Two advisories: corrosion affecting n/s and o/s rear lower suspension mounting points - I’m intending to have that sorted out next Autumn, as part of a brakes and suspension rebuild.

And the inoperative horn was simple. When I tested it after having the dashboard out, I didn’t refit the steering column cowl, and it worked fine. In fitting the cowl, I had accidentally snagged the horn cable, so there was no free movement in it, and it wasn’t allowing the contact to spring back fully and connect with the back of the steering wheel. Took a while to find, but simple to fix. Who’s a numpty? :bonk:
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby Rambo » Wed 16.05.2018, 21:27

Jonathan - are you saying your CO was zero ? I thought that was impossible ?? And your HC's were only 7 ppm. Was the engine turned on ? :twisted:

And I thought the Black Beast was good :?
Rambo
Swivel-hips

Postby lotusflasherman » Wed 16.05.2018, 21:57

Rambo wrote:Jonathan - are you saying your CO was zero ? I thought that was impossible ?? And your HC's were only 7 ppm. Was the engine turned on ? :twisted:

:agree: Seems strange... zero CO means you couldn't commit suicide with the 'hosepipe trick' even if you wanted to... always want a bit of CO, just in case I get fed up.. :lol:
Phil

lotusflasherman
God

Postby Saltire » Wed 16.05.2018, 22:47

Rambo wrote:Jonathan - are you saying your CO was zero ? I thought that was impossible ?? And your HC's were only 7 ppm. Was the engine turned on ? :twisted:

I’ll check the paperwork again in the morning - can’t be bothered to put down this glass of Bunnahabhain just now. But I’m fairly sure I transcribed the correctly. That’s what you get from having a catalyst, y’see :lol:
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Postby Saltire » Thu 17.05.2018, 17:13

And here's the Sun report. Maybe you're right, Rambo - didn't turn the engine on :lol:
2018-05-17 16.55.23 (Custom).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jonathan

Saltire
God

Previous

Return to General