Hmmm is this review accurate?

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, DaveT, GeoffSmith, Elanlover, Nige, muley, Enright, Sy V, algirdas, Specky, nitroman, clemo, dapinky, Dave Eds

Hmmm is this review accurate?

Postby chris.t » Wed 11.07.2018, 22:09

Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Re: Hmmm is this review accurate?

Postby MPx » Wed 11.07.2018, 23:23

Well I have a different view of the fun of tracking them.... :burnout:
...and have said so!
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby rip » Thu 12.07.2018, 08:52

It reminds me of a something a friend & Caterham Seven owner told me once.
After a scathing review of the Seven by Mike Brewer, an owner took Brewer for a couple of laps in his Seven on a track day...& he promptly threw up after being thrown around so hard after experiencing what a Seven can really do.

People have been impressed with the Elan when they have experienced mine from either of the seats.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 12.07.2018, 09:00

It does appear that the author has fallen into the trap of compartmentalising the car into the "looks cute, but isn't a real sportscar" category.

I agree with some of his comments, but not others - many of us know that we can keep up with the early Elises, both in real world driving and on track - and put in some damp roads and the Elise will struggle to keep up. Obviously, it is easy to churn out the old "FWD aint a sportscar" line, but at least he/she does give it credit for the handling and ride when compared to hot hatches of the day.

Still, overall I'm not too worried what he or others think - at least this way I can own and appreciate the driving of the car without worrying about damage to a huge investment - if I'd kept some of the cars I have owned in the past (assuming that they had been maintained/restored/looked after) I would be too scared to drive them down to Tescos,and they may get an odd sunny afternoon trip out if they were lucky. I just wouldn't risk the damage to the 'value' of the car - with the Elan, the value is in the driving.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby John_W » Thu 12.07.2018, 16:19

dapinky wrote:with the Elan, the value is in the driving.

:agree:
A very good way of putting it.
John_W
Philistine

Return to General