Hmmm is this review accurate?

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, clemo, Nige, Specky, Sy V, GeoffSmith, Dave Eds, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman

Hmmm is this review accurate?

Postby chris.t » Wed 11.07.2018, 22:09

Could the 'Hokey-Cokey' actually be what it's all about?
chris.t
God

Re: Hmmm is this review accurate?

Postby MPx » Wed 11.07.2018, 23:23

Well I have a different view of the fun of tracking them.... :burnout:
...and have said so!
Mike - MPx
95 M100 Elan S2 (423)
86 Turbo Esprit
but no longer Carlton no 808 nor Sunbeam S1 :(
MPx
Fanatic

Postby rip » Thu 12.07.2018, 08:52

It reminds me of a something a friend & Caterham Seven owner told me once.
After a scathing review of the Seven by Mike Brewer, an owner took Brewer for a couple of laps in his Seven on a track day...& he promptly threw up after being thrown around so hard after experiencing what a Seven can really do.

People have been impressed with the Elan when they have experienced mine from either of the seats.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby dapinky » Thu 12.07.2018, 09:00

It does appear that the author has fallen into the trap of compartmentalising the car into the "looks cute, but isn't a real sportscar" category.

I agree with some of his comments, but not others - many of us know that we can keep up with the early Elises, both in real world driving and on track - and put in some damp roads and the Elise will struggle to keep up. Obviously, it is easy to churn out the old "FWD aint a sportscar" line, but at least he/she does give it credit for the handling and ride when compared to hot hatches of the day.

Still, overall I'm not too worried what he or others think - at least this way I can own and appreciate the driving of the car without worrying about damage to a huge investment - if I'd kept some of the cars I have owned in the past (assuming that they had been maintained/restored/looked after) I would be too scared to drive them down to Tescos,and they may get an odd sunny afternoon trip out if they were lucky. I just wouldn't risk the damage to the 'value' of the car - with the Elan, the value is in the driving.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby John_W » Thu 12.07.2018, 16:19

dapinky wrote:with the Elan, the value is in the driving.

:agree:
A very good way of putting it.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby sideways » Sun 03.02.2019, 20:25

dapinky wrote: with the Elan, the value is in the driving.

Agreed and apropos of that - and this a mild curiosity for me as I am well past drooling over 0-60/quarter mile times but does anyone have the data on the difference(s) between the stock SE and the 200hp version.

I would imagine they are not particularly significant but as I said, I am curious. (though not yellow).
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Postby John_W » Sun 03.02.2019, 21:52

When Alan was developing the mountain chips I did a lot of testing for him. The thing that always surprised me was that the 0-60 times did not reflect how much more lively the car felt.

The reason is that the boost doesn’t come in until you’re at about 3000 RPM by which time you’re well on your way, so the additional boost doesn’t really have much of a chance to affect the 0-60 time. However the point of a turbo car is to keep it on boost.

The real benefit is in overtaking on an A road when you’re already on boost. All these plonkers who drive in front of you at 45 and only accelerate when you pull out to overtake them just don’t matter any more with a chipped Elan.

John

PS: I preferred Oh Calcutta!
PPS: Yes I do have the data somewhere.
John_W
Heid-bummer

Postby Rambo » Sun 03.02.2019, 22:31

John_W wrote:The real benefit is in overtaking on an A road when you’re already on boost. All these plonkers who drive in front of you at 45 and only accelerate when you pull out to overtake them just don’t matter any more with a chipped Elan

Agreed. Those little old ladies driving Honda Jazz's are simply toast. Pound for pound, the best thing you can do for your M100 is add one of ESM's mountain chips. After upgrading the brakes obviously :burnout:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby sideways » Sun 03.02.2019, 22:36

Rambo wrote:
John_W wrote:The real benefit is in overtaking on an A road when you’re already on boost. All these plonkers who drive in front of you at 45 and only accelerate when you pull out to overtake them just don’t matter any more with a chipped Elan

Agreed. Those little old ladies driving Honda Jazz's are simply toast. Pound for pound, the best thing you can do for your M100 is add one of ESM's mountain chips. After upgrading the brakes obviously :burnout:

???

I just use the brakes for in town driving - when arriving at traffic lights. :D

Will probably upgrade the stoppers if I keep the car as that is really all it "needs".
sideways at speed
Delta BC Canada
sideways
Enthusiast

Return to General