So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, nitroman, Specky, clemo, Nige, Dave Eds, Sy V, GeoffSmith, DaveT, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas

Re: So....how did the M.O.T go? (or overseas equivalent)

Postby Bern » Fri 31.08.2018, 14:57

Weirdly, both my VWs went straight through this year, in fact so did the Disco and the Mini. The Elan was the only one that failed!
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'08 Mini Clubman Cooper
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Fri 31.08.2018, 15:04

For some reason, the VW (T5 Caravelle) has more problems with the rear brakes than the Elan...... I wish it was the same simple brake system that you've got on the T4 - but VW decided that it needed sliding calipers instead of drums :( . The sliders seize up if ignored, and the handbrake still only registered 16% after a lot of work (new discs, pads, callipers about 6 months ago, so bedded in and operational/adjusted). Needed to give it all a good clean (sliders were also new 6 months ago), grease, adjust etc and scraped through at the re-test.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Bern » Fri 31.08.2018, 15:22

I had a T4, but have had a T5 for quite a few years now. And yes I did have that problem on the rear brakes, and last year it needed a new front caliper as the piston was completely seized! A new lock for the passenger door has just arrived. at the moment the lock only unlocks sometimes, which wouldn't be too much of a problem if you didn't have to open the passenger door to open the fuel filler door! Er, and I need to change the clutch on the Lupo this weekend. But to be fair 120k on one clutch isn't too bad.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'08 Mini Clubman Cooper
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby dapinky » Fri 31.08.2018, 15:56

Oh, I know only too well the delights of the T5 locking system. Sometimes the RNS sliding door doesn't unlock from the outside - even though the lock is heard clicking (solved by discovering that the plastic push-down catch was jaming and the elctric servo wasn't enough to push it fully upright again.... simply removed the plastic knob). I have had issues with the tailgate catch (which is meant to electrically draw the door fully shut) - ended up disconecting the plug and adjusting the catch to a possition where it latches shut and doesn't rattle. Sometimes the drives door doesn't unlock remotely (only about 1:25, so not enough to worry about, but annoying when it happens). Apart from that (and the brakes), oh and the turbo, and the new cylinder head/camshaft it's a really reliable car (but I wouldn't swap it 'cos it does everything I need it to).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby Bern » Fri 31.08.2018, 16:24

Sounds like you've had more problems than I've had! But you are right, if I had to keep just one of my fleet it'd be that one because it does it all!
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'08 Mini Clubman Cooper
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby Fredjohn » Fri 31.08.2018, 17:05

dapinky wrote:For some reason, the VW (T5 Caravelle) has more problems with the rear brakes than the Elan...... I wish it was the same simple brake system that you've got on the T4 - but VW decided that it needed sliding calipers instead of drums :(

:?: :?: :?: Dave my T4 has rear discs with sliders. One was seized recently but cleaned it up and fitted new pads at the same time.
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
MB CLK 320CDi 2007
Boardman Elite SLR Endurance 9.8 carbon road bike
Evora 2010
VW T4 Campervan
Fredjohn
God

Postby dapinky » Sat 01.09.2018, 12:11

Hmmm, when I did the brakes on an ex-colleagues T4 he had drums at the back.... I assumed they all had them, but obviously not! (yours is the 'posh' caravelle though, not just a panel van..... maybe that makes a difference? Who knows with these vehicle designers.)
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 02.09.2018, 18:47

HTH:twisted:
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby Brit-Car-Nut » Sun 02.09.2018, 19:15

Since the company names are the same, is that another Jeemy company?
Brit-Car-Nut
God

Postby Rambo » Sun 02.09.2018, 19:20

Brit-Car-Nut wrote:Since the company names are the same, is that another Jeemy company?

Yes. Skyblue is one of Jeemy's companies :?

Legal information
Seller
The Sky Blue Group t/a *svsperformance
Email
info@svsperformance.co.uk
Phone
Address
James Duncan
Unit A(2)
Halflandbarns
North Berwick
East Lothian
United Kingdom
EH39 5PW
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby dapinky » Sun 02.09.2018, 20:32

GeoffSmith wrote:HTH:twisted:

I'd already found those for sale when I was looking at the ebay 'shop' to see how many items he is currently able to maintain listings for......

.... however, they are for the front (and the rear are the problem ones) - and I can get them a lot cheaper from elsewhere.
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby GeoffSmith » Sun 02.09.2018, 20:35

dapinky wrote:
GeoffSmith wrote:HTH:twisted:

I'd already found those for sale when I was looking at the ebay 'shop' to see how many items he is currently able to maintain listings for......

.... however, they are for the front (and the rear are the problem ones) - and I can get them elsewhere.

Unnecessary words removed.
Calypso Red S2 #417

USB ElanScan interfaces - £55 incl. P&P.
GeoffSmith
Kitty Fiddler

Postby dapinky » Sun 02.09.2018, 20:37

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby Simon_P » Wed 05.12.2018, 10:02

Having done the bodywork on the Blue car I took it for its MOT yesterday to see how it would get on. As I do my own mechanics I don't like the embarrassment of failing an MOT so I checked that It was fine before I left home. Its been off the road for 4 years and I've never driven it before so i wasn't expecting much.

By the time I got there rear brake piston leaking annoying as I just changed the knackered caliper for one that "works", both front outer CV joint boots were defectives, N/S one the band came off and it has emptied grease all over the place. And the black mouldy gunge in the washer pipe has blocked the washer jets. oh and the exhaust joint has a small leak so it throws the emissions reading off.

Miserable fail!

Strangely relaxed as I have a pair of refurbed calipers so that's a quick job. I reckon the front suspension might put up a fight as it doesn't look like it has been disturbed for a while and the hub nut is a little tight.
Simon_P
God

Postby Bern » Tue 11.12.2018, 21:47

Passed the MOT yesterday with no work required other than removing the passenger seat belt to dry it out.

I haven't used it for 5 weeks so thought I'd take it to work today. As I left the village I lost 1st, 3rd and 5th gears, so had to limp home and take the Mini instead!

I guess it must be the cables, I'll take a look tomorrow. Typical!
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'08 Mini Clubman Cooper
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Postby Rambo » Tue 11.12.2018, 22:02

Is a wet seat belt an MOT advisory or failure then ? :shock:
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby Bern » Tue 11.12.2018, 22:04

Kind of! If it's wet it doesn't retract properly which is a failure.
'90 Elan SE Turbo
'08 Mini Clubman Cooper
'03 VW Transporter
'03 VW Lupo
'72 Land Rover 88
'80ish Kubota B5100E
Bern
Fanatic

Previous

Return to General