MoT Rules

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

MoT Rules

Postby Simon_P » Wed 25.03.2020, 13:34

It's just been announced that the MoT has been extended by 6 months from Monday. If it runs out before Monday you'll need to get it done. The mot ran out a few months ago but if I put it back on the road on the 1st will I need to get an MoT ?

Not an immediate problem as I'm not doing unnecessary journeys but I would have to to get the MoT if I want to tax it.

They are working on the detail so if anyone has more information please share.
Simon_P
God

Re: MoT Rules

Postby dapinky » Wed 25.03.2020, 14:00

Simon,

Until it gets full clarification, my information is only as accurate as my interpretation of reading the same pages as you, so is only really a 'best guess'.

I see that there are 3 classes involved here (simplifying it a bit!)

1) - cars (and vans/bikes) with a current MOT expiring before the end of March........ should be already booked in, and will need testing.
2) - cars with an MOT due after that time (30th March onwards) - will get an automatic 6-month extension, but you can still get it done if your garage is open and you aren't self isolating or symptomatic etc.
3) - cars which are SORN....... can't be used until tested.

This is purely my interpretation, and NOT to be taken as gospel.
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby woody » Wed 25.03.2020, 14:27

I wonder how the Insurance companies will deal with this. Up to now they only pay scrap value for cars with out of date MOT's
Cheers,
Woody
woody
Fanatic

Postby gov » Wed 25.03.2020, 17:02

Bit of a result for me :D my MOT runs out 29th April so as I see it it will get another 6 months - we are old gits of 71 so are in self isolation so should qualify on that front as well !

Car is pretty well sorted with only a couple of minor fails over the past 10 years or so and no advisories so should still be okay in 6 months :D
gov
Enthusiast

Postby lotusles » Wed 25.03.2020, 19:06

woody wrote:I wonder how the Insurance companies will deal with this. Up to now they only pay scrap value for cars with out of date MOT's
Cheers,
Woody

Absolutely inaccurate, where do you people get this information from?
In the event of a claim the insurer has to justify if a non MOT could have contributed, exactly the same as a bald tyre.
Agreed it might affect values, and here's the philosophy.
If you have two identical cars for sale and one has an MOT and one doesn't which one would you buy?
So the one with MOT is clearly more valuable. Most insurance policies (agreed value excluded) pay out on market value or in most cases where you purchased the vehicle from. if from a dealer, then matched to dealer. the real exception is if you got a good deal or inherited from a friend or family or the vehicle has gone up in vale as a classic etc.
lotusles
Enthusiast

Postby Saltire » Wed 25.03.2020, 22:19

woody wrote:I wonder how the Insurance companies will deal with this. Up to now they only pay scrap value for cars with out of date MOT's
Cheers,
Woody

Well, looking at the actual announcement, I don’t believe that’s relevant. The announcement is a bit woolly, and I’m sure they’ll clarify in the legislation, but it implies that the existing MoT certificate is not being extended; rather, the vehicle is being temporarily exempted from the need to carry an MoT. As such, it’s being treated exactly like any vehicle less than three years old, i.e. it doesn’t require a current certificate, but you’ll need to keep it in a roadworthy condition. If you don’t, then an insurance company can refuse to cover you.

Like many of the other recent government pronouncements, this has “not properly thought through” stamped all over it, but they can be forgiven in the circumstances. Clarity will hopefully come later.

What will be interesting for me is what happens in 6 months time, i.e. will they say “well now you need to renew your MoT, and it will only last to the anniversary of when your last one expired”, or will you get the full 12 months from the date of test? We shall see . . .

As with Pinky, exclusions apply: just because I’m a magistrate, it doesn’t necessarily follow that I know what I’m talking about.
Jonathan

1995 Elan S2 no 512, BRG/magnolia, last of 4 UK S2 to this spec
2019 VW Golf R - “The Flying Tomato”
2020 Volvo XC40 T4 AWD
Saltire
God

Location: Left foot in Wiltshire, right foot in Gloucestershire, heart in Scotland

Postby Dave Eds » Wed 25.03.2020, 23:34

dapinky wrote:Simon,

Until it gets full clarification, my information is only as accurate as my interpretation of reading the same pages as you, so is only really a 'best guess'.

I see that there are 3 classes involved here (simplifying it a bit!)

3) - cars which are SORN....... can't be used until tested.

This is purely my interpretation, and NOT to be taken as gospel.

SORN with a still valid MOT running out in April?
'92 NM SE '90 Calypso SE now sold '10 Evora NA '62 Wolseley 1500

Spud's Cotswold Holiday Cottage for hire - LEC discount available
Dave Eds

Location: High Cross, Herts or Mickleton, Gloucs or somewhere else

Postby david924s » Thu 26.03.2020, 08:27

Must say I thought it was fairly straight forward, if your MOT expires on or after March 30th the date of expiry will be extended by 6 months so in essence you are exempt from needing to MOT the car on the original date but it will fall due on the original date plus 6 months. Mine is due around May 20th so the new MOT expiry date will move to 6 months on say 20th Nov.

DVSA states if the MOT is due before March 30th then you need to get it done (not sure how but..) so I would presume if the MOT has already expired you would fall into the category of get it done and no exemption or extension would apply.
david924s
Tinkerer

Postby Rambo » Thu 26.03.2020, 08:35

Saltire wrote:
Cheers,
Woody

Well, looking at the actual announcement, I don’t believe that’s relevant. The announcement is a bit woolly, and I’m sure they’ll clarify in the legislation, but it implies that the existing MoT certificate is not being extended; rather, the vehicle is being temporarily exempted from the need to carry an MoT. As such, it’s being treated exactly like any vehicle less than three years old, i.e. it doesn’t require a current certificate, but you’ll need to keep it in a roadworthy condition. If you don’t, then an insurance company can refuse to cover you.

Like many of the other recent government pronouncements, this has “not properly thought through” stamped all over it, but they can be forgiven in the circumstances. Clarity will hopefully come later.

What will be interesting for me is what happens in 6 months time, i.e. will they say “well now you need to renew your MoT, and it will only last to the anniversary of when your last one expired”, or will you get the full 12 months from the date of test? We shall see . . .

As with Pinky, exclusions apply: just because I’m a magistrate, it doesn’t necessarily follow that I know what I’m talking about.

And that's exactly how I read it Jonathan.

My MOT on the yellow banana expires on 26 April 2020. I have been given an exemption of 6 months if I can't get it tested before then. But I fully expect that if I get it tested on, say, 20 Oct the pass date on the new MOT certificate will say 26 April 2021 and not 20 Oct 2021

What is going to be interesting is that if/when people leave it to the last minute there will be a huge backlog of tests being required and you will be unable to get a test date for when you need it. Then, people will either have to SORN their car or drive illegally, in which case the insurance will be invalidated

I have 3 vehicles coming up for MOT in the next 2 months and I still intend to MOT them by the required date if my local garage remains open. If not, I have no option but to avail myself of the extension period
Rambo
Don't push me

Postby lotusles » Thu 26.03.2020, 19:30

Ok, so a lack of MOT does not automatically void your insurance.
There are several reasons why a car with or without an MOT can be considered:
The car is in a accident that is non fault
The car is being stored and is stolen, catches fire, flooded etc
The owner genuinely forgot
The car is involved in an accident that is not contributory to a non MOT, and dont forget that an MOT only guarantees roadworthy on the items checked at the time of the MOT.
There are numerous other reasons.........
So as an engineer what would I consider, what caused the accident, if for example brake failure, steering failure etc, you get the picture. Also i will physically inspect the vehicle, that gives you a good idea of vehicle pre-accident condition.
What i will say is that without an MOT, because of the condition or it has failed an MOT, it will devalue the vehicle, however it will not be scrap value as previously suggested, as would a previous total loss, that's really what we would all expect if purchasing a car with previous history.
lotusles
Enthusiast

Return to General