Just bought 2 M100's, lots of questions!

Post here if your topic fits no other thread in this category.

Moderators: theelanman, dapinky, Dave Eds, Nige, DaveT, Sy V, Elanlover, muley, Enright, algirdas, nitroman, clemo, Specky, GeoffSmith

Just bought 2 M100's, lots of questions!

Postby shirt » Thu 15.10.2020, 15:32

Hi all.

I recently bought a Kia Elan [which I think/hope is actually a Vigato] and a genuine LHD Lotus S2 shell. I didn't mean to [I went out to buy a CBR600!] but they were too cheap to say no to [about 800 quid the pair] and so I didn't.

I'm not new to Lotus, I have an Elise and was thinking in the near future I'd sell it and buy a classic Elan. However I know diddly squat about the M100 so now need to gen up on it's strong and weak points before forming a plan of action.

The Kia has no interior at all, the S2 has a full interior and all bodywork but no chassis. The former has seemingly been painted by a blind drunk chimp and the gear linkage isn't connected to anything, but looks to have no accident damage and a clean chassis. The latter was forklifted out of the roofspace onto a flatbed truck, thereafter a rather stout and annoyed looking stray ginger tom appeared to watch his home being taken away. Not sure what year the Lotus us as I haven't checked the VIN plate yet, but its apparently an original GCC import. It has no running gear at all and the chassis has been cut off front and rear. Seems to have everything complete bodywise though, so the mind boggles what fate befell it to end up in this state.

The current plan is to get the Kia running first and see how bad it is mechanically. Clearly the plan is then to take the interior from the Lotus and put it in the Kia. I'm then left with what to do with the LHD Lotus shell? This has no paperwork so whilst its an original GCC car would not be able to be registered where I live [UAE]

So the first question is what the value of this would be? Most panels are damaged but it is complete, with light pods and motors etc. I have a car being shipped to Luxembourg soon, and could put it in the same container if its worth my while selling into EU. If not I guess I'll strip it and scrap what's left, but seems a shame to do so. Thoughts? I need to resolve this question asap, as it's currently 'parked' outside my industrial unit and the landlord is not happy...

Secondly, are there any recommended manuals / technical databases around? There never was any official imports of the S2 Elise so I have done a lot of work to my one using the Lotus service manual and the parts diagrams on Deroure. Hoping for similar here.

Lastly, what has been done [tried & tested or tried & failed] performance wise? Is the Kia lump tuneable? If it needs any engine/gearbox work I'm minded to bin it and fit a Honda B series. Any engine swap threads on here? Has anyone ever successfully complete an AWD conversion? I've found dreamer threads online for the latter but little in the way of practical exploration of the idea. The driveline from the first gen CRV has been transplanted into many classic minis, so pub chat has already been extensive in this direction! I'm minded to do something left field as it's going to be a bitsa car anyway, so why not?
shirt

Re: Just bought 2 M100's, lots of questions!

Postby dapinky » Thu 15.10.2020, 18:28

Hello, and welcome to LEC!

It sounds like you've got a great basis for a project (or 2) there.

At least in UAE you won't have any worries about rust, but the dry climate has it's own issues (sand/dust everywhere).

I know little about the Kia, but as the basis is for a Lotus, it shouldn't be hard to work out. The engine/gearbox is used elsewhere, so getting information and parts should be fairly straightforward.

If you go to the top banner on this (or any other) page there is a link to "Manuals" - this includes parts books, and has a seperate list for both LHD cars and Japanese market cars - so most items will be shown somewhere (it is the basis for the deRore exploded system, which also has the M100 in it's contents).

Others have considered a Honda engine swap, but I don't know of a completed car.... but I would suggest that a 'scrap' S2 shell may be an ideal thing to cut and adapt to make one fit, and then maybe transplant the finished article elsewhere.

AWD is meant to be achievable, but again, it's never been completed (AFAIK) - probably because no-one wants to chop a good car around too much to make the parts fit - but you have a shell which may be worth looking at the conversion of. (Unless it is easier to start with a seperate floorplan, and graft the body panels to it????).

There are members on here with a Kia, so they may well be able to answer specific questions which are beyond most of us (as we don't need to know), and you'll not be looked down on in any way for not having a 'proper' Elan - they are a good little car, just never imported to the UK in large enough numbers to gain a big following.

Feel free to ask anything - someone will be able to help, or at least, point you in the right direction.

I don't know of any other Elans in UAE, although there are others in the area (Bahrain anyway) and also a few in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand (which are probably no closer to you than Europe).

Where abouts in UAE are you based? I know Abu Dhabi quite well, and spent longer in Al Ain (only going to Dubai as a stop-over).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

go on - click this link - you know you want to!
dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby HJ2 » Sat 17.10.2020, 21:03

Welcome and please please please post some pictures! :P
If you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got
HJ2
Wodan - God of the Low Lands

Postby shirt » Sun 18.10.2020, 14:18

Thanks for the welcome and the very helpful post Dave. I thought the manual link would take me to the dead one I was following from a poster's signature, and wow that's a fantastic resource! Downloaded everything and have sent my mechanic [i very timely invested in a garage business it seems!] the info so he can start stripping the white shell. still unsure what to do with this, it seems that to hack about it would be ideal and then keep the red shell in case it all goes wrong and i stay fwd lol.

I've been in Dubai 10yrs, firstly JBR/Marina, then a couple of years living in a converted shop unit on the palm as it had a delivery bay garage and was cheap! Now living in a serviced apartment in Tecom, although currently typing this from Ouagadougou... I really only go to the capital to go to Yas, and to Al Ain to cross the border to go camping in Oman. What were you doing down there?

I don't know how long this car has been in the country, a look underneath when i get home will be revealing. Yes, we are blessed with an almost total lack of rust and every car wash has lifting platforms so dust is easy to keep at bay. My 2009 Discovery looks clean as a whistle underneath and my 06 elise would make UK owners weep. I dont miss cold garages and seized bolts that's for sure.

I'll post some pics later once my iphone stops fannying about and lets me transfer files.
shirt

Postby dapinky » Sun 18.10.2020, 19:23

I was doing a bit of teaching for the Government in AD, and for the Police in Al Ain - not sure if it's a great place to be nowadays with it's proximity to Yemen - but as I haven't had any offers of work for the past year anyway, it doesn't matter! Unfortunately, they used to love having ex-police from the UK to do their training, but that stopped last year, and I don't know if it'll happen again..... shame really, as I enjoyed spending a couple of weeks in the sun every now and again (and getting paid for it :) ).
Dave

Just the one now, but this one's mine! - and it will be finished eventually.....

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Location: As far west as you can get in West Wales before you become Irish (Pembroke Dock).

Postby shirt » Mon 19.10.2020, 12:54

Covid chaos is likely at the root of employment offerings, should hopefully pick up again next year.

I've attached some photos of what I'm working with. The KIA has an amazing plywood interior, 90s TSW alloys, and the gearstick isn't attached to anything [its in gear]. Also one of the chinese ditchfinders expired as soon as we rolled it, so and up getting the flatbed in as close as possible and dragging it out.

The white shell appears to be a 92 turbo according to the vin checker on deroure. Is this correct? As you can see its in a sorry state and my guy is starting to strip it this week. Then I need to make a decision whether to scrap the shell/panels. Thoughts? I can't keep it as I have nowhere to put it, but wonder if anyone would want/need an LHD shell in the EU as I have a container heading there soon. Does appear to be an original GCC car from the stickers, I wonder if anyone at Hethel could shed any light on its past and how many others made it out here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shirt

Postby dapinky » Mon 19.10.2020, 13:28

Try not to damage the rear lights on the white one - in good condition they are worth as much as you paid for the whole lot!!!!
Dave

dapinky
LEC Administrator

Postby HJ2 » Mon 19.10.2020, 15:41

Wow!

I love the wheels!
I could use some of the panes as well, They look calypso red, but the shipping... :bananasex:

Talk about a project... We might need a whole new category for this.
'Frankenlan' or something.

Keep us posted :-)
HJ2

Postby Fredjohn » Mon 19.10.2020, 15:57

Are you sure it isn't an S2?

It appears to have a cat.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
La vie passe vite: vivez la avec elan(s).

Elan S4 DHC 1969
Elan SE turbo 1992
Evora 2010
MB E250 CDi coupe 2013
Boardman Endurance SLR 9.4 disc carbon road bike
Swift Sundance Lifestyle 500
Fredjohn
God

Postby HJ2 » Mon 19.10.2020, 15:59

:agree: :clap:
HJ2

Postby shirt » Mon 19.10.2020, 16:00

the clear outer panels on the lights are both holed, on the photo of it on the flatbed you can make that out as its the 2 patches without dust! that cat didn't look happy btw, i think i'd taken his house away.

regarding panels, its the white car that is being stripped. if there's anything you'd like just let me know. i fly regularly to UK [or I did before isolation came in] and have taken elise panels, hardtops etc. on the plane so its not an issue. anything that's left after strip-down is available FOC. i need to source and bring back a bunch of parts anyway, largest will be a screen. thankfully emirates have no limit on size and number of luggage items :)

NB - would the 92 car have the earlier style pop ups? i watched the top gear review with chris goffey and the pop ups on that car [pre-production?] are cool AF.
shirt

Postby shirt » Mon 19.10.2020, 16:05

oh, i had another suggestion from a mate over what to do with the white shell. it's not entirely without merit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shirt

Postby rip » Mon 19.10.2020, 16:37

shirt wrote:Would the 92 car have the earlier style pop ups? i watched the top gear review with chris goffey and the pop ups on that car [pre-production?] are cool AF.

'Opera' lights. I don't know who used that term first, but it seems to have stuck.
These were replaced by 'Pods' quite early, some time in 1990 I believe. I have only seen them on G reg (1989-90) Elans.
That doesn't meant to say you shouldn't fit them if you can find the components.
1990 SE
rip
God

Postby shirt » Tue 20.10.2020, 15:43

Thanks. I googled, seems a very slim chance of me finding the components so perhaps i'll try making some. Almost wish I hadn't seen them as I now...
shirt

Return to General